Community
Search

Hitchcock "Young and Innocent/The Man Who Knew Too Much" DVD Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitchcock "Young and Innocent/The Man Who Knew Too Much" DVD Question

Couple quick questions: Does anyone know why there are two different covers for the DVD of "Young and Innocent/The Man Who Knew Too Much" (double feature under the "The Europa Theatre Series" banner)? One cover has two black-and-white stills from the two films (one blue tinted and the other more brown tinted), and can be seen here. The other cover is also split, but has color drawings/paintings for each movie -- seemingly from a 1930s movie poster, or at least done in '30s style. Can't find a photo of the cover online for this one. Both seem to be from 2000, and have the same features. Just can't figure out the reason for the two different covers.

Also, does anyone know what the quality is like for this DVD and the other Hitchcock double features under the "Europa Theatre Series" banner? Are these the best versions out there for these films? Are there better ones available?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Fixes name of DVD series

Last edited by Walter Neff; 08-11-03 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-11-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. I think this company ("Whirlwind") just simply changed the covers at some point. I think the older cover is the stills, the newer cover is the posters. Probably just because it looks better, I guess.

2. It's OK (quality-wise). Basically the same as Delta/Laserlight. I find that most of the budget Hitchcocks are similar... very watchable, but not stellar. Most of them come from the same prints, so you don't see a radical difference in quality from company to company.
Old 08-11-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The Delta/Laserlight editions can generally be found for under $5 each, and some of them have episodes from the TV show as an extra. The Young and Innocent, for example, also has The Cheney Vase which I don't believe is available anywhere else on DVD.
Old 08-11-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
The Cheney Vase which I don't believe is available anywhere else on DVD.
Capcom's Alfred Hitchcock: Master of Suspense includes Jamaica Inn and also includes the 2 AHP episodes (Cheney Vase, Sorcerer's Apprentice).

In general, you have tons of options with these British flicks. I grab Criterion (when available) and have filled the rest of my collection with whatever's cheapest/has fewer discs.
Old 08-11-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the double issue Whirlwind disc (also called Rykodisc).

Here is the link including prices:

http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bi...c&tmpCart=7559

I really like Young and Innocent and think it is a fine example of Hitch's U.K. work. The tracking shot from the exterior lobby - through the ballroom ending up on one of the members of the band is one of the first great tracking shots - period.

The quality of this release is the best R1 currently available. And at $6.39 (shipped) a nice value.

The Laserlights generally are not quite as good and in this case definitely not quite as good.

Btw, the Delta Hitchcock's are worth their money just for the farcical Tony Curtis introductions!!!
Old 08-12-03, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>Also, does anyone know what the quality is like for this DVD and the other Hitchcock double features under the "Europa Theatre Series" banner?