Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First R-rated movie you saw as a kid

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-08-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

For some reason my parents took me and my younger sister to the theater to see Down and Out in Beverly Hills when I was 7 and she was 6. There really isn't too much bad in the film if I recall, mostly innuedo. Although at that time I didn't understand the concept of 'simulating' sex, so I thought that Richard Dryfess really was having sex with the actress playing the maid. I thought it was strange that people would have sex just for a movie.

I also recall that my parents took us to a lot of R-rated stuff at the drive-in. I can recall seing Lifeforce, Frightnight, and Rambo:First Blood Part II.

What R-rated movies did you see at the theater as a kid?
Old 08-08-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
White Men Can't Jump. Lots o language.

Funny story. Strict parents. Snuck into this one at 14 or 15, so not too big a deal. But there we(3 of us) are sitting there waiting for the flick to start and here comes the ushers checking id's for age. Crap. Busted. We start looking around and my buddy saw someone he knew so we just said we were with them.
Old 08-08-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blues Brothers

2nd one was American Werewolf in London, which was very very very awesome, because I had developed quite a crush on Jenny Agutter due to countless viewings of Logan's Run. Not only did I find AWIL to be an awesome werewolf flick, but my jaw dropped when Jenny got nekkid.

Oh, and I was 12.
Old 08-08-03, 11:49 PM
razorbackfan

There wasn't R ratings when I was a kid. But Psycho was my first mature rated movie I saw when I was about 10 or so with my Dad. Scared the crap outta me.
Old 08-08-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First one I saw at the theaters was Lethal Weapon 3 when I was 7 years old.
Old 08-08-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My parents owned a video store, but they didn't let me watch many R-rated movies. Eventually I started sneaking them to watch 'em. Totally messed up my mind watching all that stuff at such a young age . I remember watching Robocop for the first time and just being shocked at how violent and bloody it was.

First one I saw, though, was "The Road Warrior". It was recorded off HBO onto tape. My dad had a bunch of those kind of tapes lying around (with no labels on them). I think I was like 7, and I remember how bleek it was. It kind of depressed me. At that age, I didn't really understand it all. Just watched the visuals (the fingers getting chopped off by the boomerang and the nekkid rape scene really stood out in my mind at the time). But now, it's a fav. One of those that I can just watch over and over again. Perception and age really affect how you view a movie over time. Sometimes the movie gets worse, and sometimes it becomes clearer.
Old 08-09-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember the name of the movie, but I can describe it. If anyone can ID it, I'd be so grateful. Its about 2 barbarian brothers (conan types), and there's an arm wrestling scene in it, there's also a scene inside a dragon's stomach, and something to do with emeralds. I think the title might be something like "barbarian brothers" but I'm not sure...anyone? I watched this probably when I was like 9. I think my sister wanted to watch some disney film. lots of blood...and nudity...my dad was uncomfortable to say the least.
Old 08-09-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First rated R movie in the theaters was Robocop when it first came out. I was really young so that disturbed the hell out of me. Actually, that movie still bothers me now so imagined how scarred I was back then. The first video R rated movie I saw was Blood Sport at my friends house. When the fighter's leg got broken and the bone stuck out, I thought I was gonna pass out.
Old 08-09-03, 01:30 AM

My first R rated movie was Speed. I think I was around 10 when I saw it.
Old 08-09-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
My parents took me to a double feature of Animal House and The Jerk when I was a kid. They never let me watch movies like that, but hadn't realized what they were about or that they were R rated (duh--don't know what they were thinking). But . . . they didn't make us leave.

tasha
Old 08-09-03, 01:52 AM

My first R rated video was Jaws when I was about 2.
Old 08-09-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My first was Nightmare on Elm Street. I was about 9 or 10 and I didn't fully understand what was going on but all the blood freaked the heck out of me. I couldn't sleep for a full night for weeks after watching it.
Old 08-09-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must have been 5 or 6 years old, sneaking Beverly Hills Cop in the room I shared with my older brothers. 4 in one room, so we had a TV and just got cable. I knew what the dirty words were because I saw the Robin Williams HBO special shortly before and got in a lot of trouble for repeating every curse on there. My first exposure to profantity and plenty of trouble came with it. So I knew to keep the volume low. I remember the naked chicks very well, as do I the Eddie Murphy in the Redneck bar scene. I remain as blown away now as I was then, a scene of such staggering power, it's truly one of the great movie moments of the 80's.
Old 08-09-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe that would be Conan the Barbarian at the theatre when I was like 8 or so.
Old 08-09-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Corleone316
Isn't Jaws rated PG? Has it had a rating change?
Old 08-09-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw Alien when i was 5 years old..

The Part where the first person dies had me scared ****-less up until i was about 13 years old

Old 08-09-03, 04:47 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Strpies when I was 5. My one question that I asked my parents when the movie ended was: Why did those 2 men join the army?"
Old 08-09-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Mad Magazine's Up The Academy" I was 9 or 10 and was expecting to see lots of sex and nudity. I got none of that. A few months later I saw "Stir Crazy" expecting to see sex and nudity again.... again nothing. My whole perception of what an R rated movie was at the time was shattered.
Old 08-09-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had seen Damien:Omen and Damien:Omen II on TV, so when Damien: Omen III came out in the theaters, I begged my mom to take me. I was probably 10 or so. There was full frontal-nudity, which to my young mind was

After that, I snuck into lots of R-rated movies.
Old 08-09-03, 10:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My parents were careful not to let me see R-rated movies. Then one night at a sleepover I got to watch National Lampoon's Vacation and the entire Friday the 13th trilogy (this was back when there were only three films) in an all-night movie marathon.

In the morning I woke up and ate "Donkey Kong Cereal" which was basically little barrels made of sugar. It was a treat because my parents didn't allow me many sweets, but it made me really really sick.
Old 08-09-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My first one in the theater was Die Hard with a Vengeance.
Old 08-09-03, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Corleone316
I would have said Jaws also - but Jaws is only PG with the addendum that it may be too intense for young viewers. It would be a hard "R" these days, but the 70's was a diffrent time.

My first one was Alien back when I was 10 or 11. Scared the everluvin crap out of me - but I loved every moment of it.
Old 08-09-03, 11:24 AM

For me it was a Steve Martin comedy.

The Jerk

Nothing too bad, just a whole lotta cussin.

My uncle took me, I really would like to have
sneaked into "10" which was playing next door.

Last edited by DFWMovieGeek; 08-09-03 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-09-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe the first R rated movie I saw was The Town That Dreaded Sundown.

The first movie I saw in a theater was Mad Magazine's Up The Acamdemy.

I changed my post after seeing it in someone else's post. I forgot that I saw that one in the theater.

Last edited by joefrog91; 08-09-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-09-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
I would have said Jaws also - but Jaws is only PG with the addendum that it may be too intense for young viewers. It would be a hard "R" these days, but the 70's was a diffrent time.
that movie would actually get like a hard pg13 today, maybe the falling off leg might have to be cut, but there is nothing else really r rated about it

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.