Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Do you rent in vhs and buy on dvd

Old 08-08-03, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mabye I'm crazy but I rent only in vhs . If I likeit of course I'll buy the dvd. I started doing this after seeing the condition of discs I used to rent. It looks like some was playing frisbee with them. the discs also often have food stains and finger prints on them like they lets their kids handle them. Anyone else do this?
Old 08-08-03, 07:52 AM

I only rent vhs if I can't find the dvd for rent anywhere and I really want to see the film. However, netflix seems to have a lot of the stuff that I can't find locally, so I can't remember the last time I rented a vhs tape.
Old 08-08-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't rent, buy or watch VHS anymore. Most of my DVD purchases are used, so if I don't like the film I can trade it back in for the net cost of a rental. The added bonus is I had it as long as I wanted.
Old 08-08-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I never rent and VHS is used only for recording TV shows. However, I have been thinking of giving Netfilx a shot. Anyoen know if they have episodes of the Transformers for rent?
Old 08-08-03, 09:05 AM

Never rent... anything.
Old 08-08-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't own a VCR anymore. I hate VHS so I gave the VCR away. So no I don't rent in VHS, only DVD.
Old 08-08-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since my VCR broke 2 years ago, I never bothered to replace it even though I have an extensive collection of VHS tapes. I don't why waste anymore more on VHS when I can have DVD's with far superior video and sound quality.

But I agree with ctyler, the condition of most rental DVD's that I've seen (most from free Netflix trials) is horrible.
Old 08-08-03, 09:13 AM

Wow such hatred, I like to rent stuff from my library (free!) whether it be dvds or vhs since they aren't exactly BBV with the dvd selection. Helped me from buying some bad blind buys.

Heck, last week I was able to rent Duel, How to marry a millionaire, The Daytrippers in VHS and The 400 Blows, Paris When it Sizzles, and Heat on DVD.

Last edited by TopHatCat64; 08-08-03 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-08-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I've stopped renting and buying from Hollywood Video or Blockbuster for this very reason. I sometimes wonder if people rough up the play-side of the disc so that it won't slide off their coffee table. "them thar disc thingies sure make some my-tee-fine coasters too!"

I didn't rent much from them in the first place because I prefer older and more esoteric films, and HV and BB cater to the Joe6pack crowd.

...and then I stumbled across a little mom-n-pop video shop...opened the door... WHAM! literally 1000's of different titles, Criterions, OOP titles, etc. I knew this was my kinda place when I walked out with Soylent Green and The Omega Man.
Old 08-08-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

VHS? Um... How shall I say... Ah... Hell no, never, absolutely not, I don't even know if my VCR still works... I've also pretty much given up on renting DVDs. I used to rent DVDs but as mentioned, the condition of the discs was always horrible... Toss in Blockbuster buying out every mom and pop in my city and then carrying nothing but fool frame DVDs and I ceased renting completely. With the exception of a pr0n every so often. And before you ask, Netflix doesn't interest me.
Old 08-08-03, 10:57 AM
Rest in Peace

I buy Vcr cassettes only when I know the DVD isn't coming out for a long while like Miami Vice 2: The Prodical Son, for on my line doubled set it looks pretty clear and 1.33:1 is OAR from a TV series. I don't rent VHS or DVD, I buy or trade DVD only mostly in our DVDtalk DVD Exchange with Gold Traders I can trust, with MAO (Micheal O' Shea) as the administrator
of the forum.
Old 08-08-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cartload
Anyoen know if they have episodes of the Transformers for rent?
Nope, just the MOVIE....
Old 08-08-03, 01:38 PM

Nope, we've had 2 out of our 3 VCRs break recently and yesterday I had to rewind a stack of tapes I sold on Ebay, it took for-e-ver... DVDs just spoiled me and I can't go back
Old 08-08-03, 01:48 PM
Suspended

Only rent DVDs, unless it's some B movie that only comes in VHS. Aside from that, VHS is for recording TV and stuff. Yes, I don't have that damn TiVo thing.
Old 08-08-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just rented the Irma Vep DVD and bought the Lost Highway widescreen VHS, so I guess I'm the opposite.
Old 08-08-03, 01:54 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I don't think Netflix has any VHS in stock...
Old 08-08-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
I used to, but I do so less and less these days.

Nowadays, the DVD selection (of new releases, at any rate) is pretty much as extensive as the VHS selection.

If it's an older film, then VHS is likely the only way I'd be able to rent it, as most video stores haven't really bothered to build up a back catalog on DVD. Unfortunately, they've also been unloading their VHS back catalog and replacing them with recent DVDs. So pretty much any pre-1990 film VHS will be replaced by a post-1990 DVD.
Old 08-08-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

VHS? What's that?
Old 08-08-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never. Only rent in OAR on DVD.
Old 08-08-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have not rented a VHS tape for years, but I have started to rent more DVDs than I buy - not much to buy lately.

And I have bought many used DVD with no problems.
Old 08-08-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
No. I've hardly even watched a VHS since 1998, when I started this whole DVD phenomenon.
Old 08-08-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

11th Commandment: "Thou shall not rent."

Ever since Blockbuster started pressuring studios into Full Frame releases and now renting each DVD of a set separately, I stopped giving them my money.

The last thing I ever rented, back in 1997, was a Laserdisc.

The last VHS tape I watched (which is the only VHS tape I have watched since 1996) was SW:EP1, when it was not scheduled to be released on DVD until 2006 (of course, things change). I could not wait that long, so bought the VHS Collector's edition. I could not even watch the whole movie, the quality was TERRIBLE, compared to Lasedisc and DVD. I ended up buying the Japanese Import Laserdisc so I could watch it.

Last edited by flix1; 08-08-03 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-08-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Death to VHS. May it's rotting carcus burn in the seven or the eleven layers of all hells ever conceived.

Those who support VHS are keeping alive a dying patient who is sucking up taxpayers hard earned dollars when they are just brain dead vegetables. Pull the plug on VHS!

And renting??? Argh! Blockbuster is the Devil that rules over the Hell mentioned above. He tries to decieve you into renting and getting VHS but you will be strong and Godly and go with DVD!!!

::End Possession::

I don't rent or use VHS in any way.
Old 08-08-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by flix1
11th Commandment: "Thou shall not rent."

Ever since Blockbuster started pressuring studios into Full Frame releases and now renting each DVD of a set separately, I stopped giving them my money.
There are so many alternatives to Blockbuster that it's not even funny. Actually it's great.
Old 08-08-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
Haven't rented VHS in years, but I still have lots of stuff on tape just because it's not available on DVD, and god knows when it ever will be.

I wonder if we'll see DVD get kicked to the curb when the next latest and greatest format comes down the pike. Probably be lots of jokes about layer changes, scratched discs, or FBI warnings you can't skip past.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.