Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Thing From Another World

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-03, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The picture and audio quality of this new DVD is probably about as good as it is going to get for a black and white film from 1951 with mono sound. It's wonderful to finally have this beautifully restored Sci Fi classic on DVD (presented in it's OAR which delivers a full screen image).

I'm disappointed that WB didn't take things futher though. The only extra material on this so called 50th anniversary edition is a short original theatrical trailer. The film deserves a better DVD treatment. Maybe there isn't much material out there, but it seems to me they could have at least come up with some more detailed background info on the film to either include along with the trailer or as a printed insert booklet.
Pretty skimpy offering considering.
Old 08-07-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was disappointed as well by the lack of extras. With the newfound popularity of the John Carpenter version, I would have thought WB would have gone the extra mile with this one. It's on the best seller list at just about every online retailer. But then again, I'd rather have a barebones dvd than nothing at all.
Old 08-07-03, 07:27 AM

It really is an excellent restoration. Every other version I've seen still has some sequences that look like they are from inferior souces. On this DVD the only drops in quality I see are during the original use of stock footage which is to be expected.

I had a minor hope that the new DVD would contain an isolated track of Dimitri Tiomkin's great score, or that it might at least generate a OST CD. Of course I have no idea if the material exists in a form that would make such a thing even possible, but it certainly would be great.

RE: the Carpenter "Thing"
I didn't know there was renewed interest in this film, what is the reason?
I'm guessing it's either because the DVD now goes for cheap or maybe from the developing Capenter popularity. I like this version too. The chemistry between Carpenter and Kurt Russell on the DVD commentary track is very entertaining. I read somehwere that they are doing a commentary together for the DVD reissue of "Escape from New York." Might even entice me to re-buy that title if it's cheap enough
Old 08-07-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 235 Likes on 169 Posts
I thought Warner did a excellent job on restoring the picture on this sci-fi classic. Granted it not perfect considering that it was owned by RKO studio who are know to have a reputation of not stocking their films in good condition, maybe that why Warner is taking a long time to released King Kong on DVD so they can restored it as best they can. Yeah, I was a little disappointed that it didn't have more extras excect for a trailer and a very poor one too, not even a interviews with the casts that are still alive, I know Kenneth Toby and Margaret Sheridan are no longer on this earth but James Arness is still living. Heck, Warner also released Soylent Green and that one got at least a few extras like a commentary by director Richard Fleischer and actress Leigh Taylor-Young and a short clip of a promo on the making of the film nothing to make a big deal about but at least it was an extras. Yes, I'm happy that this is finally out on DVD but I wish Warner should have gone the extra mileage in putting more stuff on it, very disappointed on their part.
Old 08-08-03, 01:01 AM

During the opening credits I could swear i hear a bit of stereo separation in the music. It's not well defined but I've heard other recordings that actually claim to be stereo that sound about the same. I don't know what's going on there and I only really notice it at the beginning. It may not be true stereo but it doesn't sound like simple mono either.

Glenn Erickson's review right here sheds some interesting light on the restoration. I'm surprized WB didn't take the opportunity to crow a bit about all the work that was done in the form of some DVD bonus material.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7159

Reading his review also calls to mind some similarities in the story to John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13... that must have been at least part of the attraction that lead to Carpenter's remake (sequel?).
Old 08-08-03, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by digiboy
I'm guessing it's either because the DVD now goes for cheap or maybe from the developing Capenter popularity. I like this version too. The chemistry between Carpenter and Kurt Russell on the DVD commentary track is very entertaining. I read somehwere that they are doing a commentary together for the DVD reissue of "Escape from New York." Might even entice me to re-buy that title if it's cheap enough
I think he means the renewed interest in the movie when the game (based on the Carpenter movie) was released.
Old 08-08-03, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Ejunior2
I think he means the renewed interest in the movie when the game (based on the Carpenter movie) was released.

That's really interesting. I know nothing about the game scene so I had no idea this existed. So the popularity of the game version sparked new interest in the film. I'm sure it's not the first time such a thing has happened but it's news to me. Cool to know. I'd love to see that game. (Tho I would likely be lousy at playing it)
Old 08-10-03, 08:56 AM

Along with House of Wax, this was the movie I most wanted on DVD. I purchased a Brazilian version of the disc last year and the quality was extremely poor. So much so that I beleive my VHS copy looked leaps and bounds better.

Anyway, I think the restoration on the disc is remakable. It's crystal clear and everything I hoped for. Sure, I'd like a wealth of supplements but the quality of the presentation is so good that I can pass on those for the moment.

If this was released on Laserdisc does anyone know if there were any supplemental materials produced for that release?
Old 08-10-03, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by digiboy

I'm guessing it's either because the DVD now goes for cheap or maybe from the developing Capenter popularity.
It wasn't a huge hit when it was first released, but Carpenter's The Thing has steadily gained popularity over the years. I think the biggest reason for its popularity is simply that it's a great movie. Home video and the dvd probably had big role in it. I think the video game being made shows just how popular it has become. There aren't too many movie-based video games that are made for the first time 20 years after the movie was released.

I watched the The Thing from the Another World last night, and overall I was impressed. It's a great addition to my collection.
Old 08-10-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by buckee1
If this was released on Laserdisc does anyone know if there were any supplemental materials produced for that release?
It had a few, but nothing too extraordinary.

http://www.dvdlaser.com/search/detail.cfm?ID=25981
Old 08-10-03, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
It had a few, but nothing too extraordinary.

http://www.dvdlaser.com/search/detail.cfm?ID=25981
Thanks Joshua.

Looks like this is the best we're going to see for this film and for what it's worth, I'm extremely happy with the disc as presented.
Old 08-10-03, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm happy with the disc as well. saw the film itself in 1968 or 69 for the first time and always have been a huge fan.