Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

That certain thing, that unknown sound

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-06-03, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For several years now, I am looking for a certain style or sound of music and I have come up empty as to even put a name to it. I'll give a rough example of the style, and it is my hope that maybe someone out here can help.

The Squirrel Nut Zippers (and less recently, a few jazz artists) recorded a style that I can onyl describe as "sultry" or "whorehouse jazz". They recorded this style for only two songs, Hell and Trou Macacq (assuming I'm spelling the second right). It's somewhat a blend of cajun sound, along with old jazz and blues. I've yet to find a proper term to describe the sound, much less found any modern music like it (old jazz, era 1910-1930 sounded similar at times, but after the 40's they began to get progressive and evoled away from it). Anyhow rough question I know, but maybe there's some music professor whom can help me out there. Thanks.

Last edited by AkMedic; 08-06-03 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhhh...Ragtime?
Old 08-06-03, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Hiro11
uhhh...Ragtime?
No. Ragtime is a precessor to Big band, and also a more upbeat and formated style. Allthough the Squirrel Nut Zippers also play ragtime music, the two songs mentioned, penned by Tom Maxwell, are a big departure from the typical SNZ format.
Old 08-06-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ever hear of the Cherry Poppin Daddies or the Brian Setzer Orchestra, might be what your lookin for.
Old 08-06-03, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Ever hear of the Cherry Poppin Daddies or the Brian Setzer Orchestra, might be what your lookin for.
Thanks, but no. These two bands would probably be classified as Swing bands, allthough Setzer does variate their style and CPD was more of a "fad swing" band. Thanks for the try though, and yes the SNZ also play swing. I'm actually after a darker, more sultry sound however.
Old 08-06-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Hell" is best described as "calypso," I think.
Old 08-06-03, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
"Hell" is best described as "calypso," I think.
Thanks, I'll try and research that form a bit, see if I can find the "sound".
Old 08-06-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not really sure that this is what you are looking for, but Thievery Corporation released a compilation called Den of Thieves that is very loungey, kinda sexy music. I wouldn't call it rough really, but it has occasions of darkness.
Old 08-06-03, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by AkMedic
Thanks, I'll try and research that form a bit, see if I can find the "sound".
Man that's as close as I've come yet. However, I'd like to see less of an 'island' sound to it, and more of an American jazz roots sound. Any ideas?
Old 08-06-03, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by fallow
I'm not really sure that this is what you are looking for, but Thievery Corporation released a compilation called Den of Thieves that is very loungey, kinda sexy music. I wouldn't call it rough really, but it has occasions of darkness.

Hey I'm open to anything, even if it ends up not being what I wanted, if it's good music I'm down. Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 08-06-03, 04:25 PM

Actually

Let's open this thread up a little. Allthough I still would like to find what has been previously mentioned, if you have a band that kicks ass, name drop it here. I'm always looking to expand my horizions, and music is one way of doing that.

I'll start it off with Finley Quaye.
Old 08-06-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are into that loungey thing, you ought to check out Do Make Say Think. The hooks are gentle but demanding, the songwriting is top-notch and original, the production is golden: with the instruments coming back and forth into the fray - one minute the guitars are chiming away in the background and, the next, they are blaring out front. Not to mention two drummers behind full sets! It is much more rock-based than anything else, but it's the kind of thing that is spectacular through headphones, while driving/studying/reading, or at a party. Their latest album, & Yet & Yet, is my favorite of last year. Dig it.
Old 08-07-03, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by fallow
If you are into that loungey thing, you ought to check out Do Make Say Think. The hooks are gentle but demanding, the songwriting is top-notch and original, the production is golden: with the instruments coming back and forth into the fray - one minute the guitars are chiming away in the background and, the next, they are blaring out front. Not to mention two drummers behind full sets! It is much more rock-based than anything else, but it's the kind of thing that is spectacular through headphones, while driving/studying/reading, or at a party. Their latest album, & Yet & Yet, is my favorite of last year. Dig it.
Just listened to some tracks off of it (gotta love tower records) and sounds awsome. I'm definatly grooving on it, and will pick up a copy. Thanks for the hookup

I'll add another reggae act, in the name of Ky-Mani Marley. In the ranks of reggae, Stephen has always been dubbed the heir apparent to the sound of pappa Bob, but honestly, I have rolled out some of Ky-Mani's tracks and folks have though it was Bob. He has the voice, style and soul of his late father. So if you dig Bob, check him out. I'd recommend his first album, Journey, over the latest one, Many more roads, as the tracks are more raw and hardcore.

Also, if you dig rap, this album is a crossover as well. Great bass and killer lines.
Old 08-07-03, 12:06 PM

Where's the hard core undergroud rap fans out here?

For my rap pick today, gotta go Mix alot. Yes, well known, but he has a new album coming out and damn if it hasn't been awhle. Plus personally I dig the guy, even though his sound is not for everyone.

Also, and within a similar genera, the Click. Out of Cali, and appearing on numberous mixes and compelations as well as their own cuts, this street rap group blends the sounds of LA with a more urban and progressive edge unique to themselfs. E 40 is a member ofthe click, and allthough his solo act wasn't all that great, the Click still is decent enough for a look.
Old 08-11-03, 11:57 AM

I'm still looking for this form if anyone has any ideas.