Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Is this version of Beckham DVD quality? I want to buy it now!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-03, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9&category=617

Thanks!
Old 08-06-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I'm not mistaken, that appears to be a bootleg. It first states that it is an "Indian DVD in English". Okay. The dialogue was English to begin with. Then it says "Region 1" but later claims to be Region 0.

K
Old 08-06-03, 11:42 AM

Damn! Does anyone know of a non bootleg that I can get on dvd right now?
Thanks!
Old 08-06-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's coming out on September 30th, Region 1. You can't wait?

K
Old 08-06-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get yourself a region free player, it's available in R2 now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...060127-5737244
Old 08-06-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
I've had the R2 versions for months and bought it the day I saw it in the theatre because I enjoyed the film so much. I'll be picking up the R1 copy on 9/30. For the better picture quality and extras.
Old 08-06-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Cornelius1047
It's coming out on September 30th, Region 1. You can't wait?

K
No kidding.

However, there was an Indian company producing this DVD.. I've even seen it for rent at Indian movie rental places. Not sure if they had the rights to do it or not.

It did come out in India before it came out in the U.S. -- It's possible it's a region 0 Indian DVD.
Old 08-06-03, 02:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Or you can give the R3 Korean version a try:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=uqgyEiu9

I watched it last weekend. Good transfer, plus it comes with the soundtrack (haven't listened to it yet). Looks like it has the same extras as the upcoming R1 version.
Old 08-07-03, 10:31 AM

If you are in the Boston area I saw a bunch of the "Bend It Like Beckham" DVDs at the Downtown Crossing HMV..

They had a big import sticker on them and seemed to be of Asian origin(writing looks Chinese) .. probably region free... Doesn't look like the Korean release.. $29.99.

I have the R2 PAL disc.. I think there was some thread on this forum that said Disney dubbed the word "Soccer" over "Football" on the release coming out in Sept..

--mike

Last edited by leemik; 08-07-03 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-07-03, 10:44 AM

HMV is selling what I guess is an R0 DVD of this in their store. They have a sticker on it saying its an "HMV Import" or something. They are a retail store not known for selling bootlegs so I believe its real.
Old 08-07-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a legit R0 version here at DVDAsian.com. Just be aware that there is no option to turn off the removable subtitles from the menu (you can only select English or Korean), though I did figure out a way to turn them off on a few of my players. This disc is DD5.1 and non-anamorphic with a pretty nice transfer, but no extras. I initially bought this and was enjoying the movie until I found the R3 Korean version which was the same as the R2 UK special edition disc but with the CD soundtrack included as well, which had a few extra songs not available on the US CD. It's also NTSC so there is no PAL speedup and is anamorphic, so I immediately picked it up and dumped off the R0 disc to my bro who was most appreciative! If you pick up the R0 disc and want the possible subtitle removal workaround, here was my post from the international board:

I got it to work on my Daewoo 3000N all-code by doing a variation of the original concept: let the movie begin playing, then hit the stop button TWICE, enter the player setup menu and then just exit it without making any changes. Now hit the disc menu button and select "Play" and voila no subtitles! Hopefully you have the same model. On another note, there was also a fix for this model that corrected a problem where the subtitles would come back on after FF, pausing or slow search, even if they were off before. If you need this fix let me know and I'll post it for you, since you definitely don't want the subtitles popping back on with the Beckham disc.

This also worked on my portable Samsung DVD L100 and old RCA5200 by letting the movie begin, hitting stop ONCE, entering the player Setup menu and exiting it without making any changes, enter the disc menu and pressing Play from there.

Since I don't remember having any other discs with locked subtitles I'm not sure if these methods work with other discs.

I could not get it to work in any fashion on my Sonys (D500 & NS900V), Panasonic DMR-HS2 recorder or Pioneer DVL 700 combi-player.

Last edited by matome; 08-07-03 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-06-03, 04:39 AM

I have the version w/o any problems. It's bare but the quality is top notch.