Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

is Star Trek The Next Generation offically done?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-05-03, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have Paramount said, "There will be no more Next Generation movies". I just am so mad with so many things in "nemesis" that I really want them to go out with a bang and make another film. I remember reading somewhere that Star Trek 5, was supposed to be the last film, but because of its lukewarm reception decided to make another one. and really closed the series out(the original series I am talking about) perfectly.
However the next generation's ending and plot in "nemesis" should make paramount want to try this again.

1) The main character dying: I will not reveal who it is, since there might be someone who hasn't seen it, but it was just a lame brain idea. and his "replacement" after he died........ come on now....challenge me intellectually.

2)Why did Shinzon hate Picard so much?

3) Why didn't Wesley say one damn word during the wedding commencement?

4) The Ending- Come on, the ending shot is of piacrd walking down a coridor, and then the camera zooming out to show the enterprise in a DOCKING BAY????? That's the last shot of the enterprise in a docking bay??????

There were so many loose ends in this ne, that I have to say it was the worst Trek movie of the Next Geration crew. I am very dissapoin
Old 08-05-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

don't think paramount has given up on star trek. it's one of their most bankable franchises. the nemesis script wasn't terribly original, and was full of holes. i don't even remember that they explained worf and why he was onboard the whole time; i guess they gave up trying to "explain" every little thing.
Old 08-05-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) Brent Spiner (Data) co-wrote the story that's why there's some of that lameness with Data
2)Shinzon hated what he had become of himself, he admired Picard but would never admit it because he was jealous.
3)After what Wil Wheaton said on his website repeatedly, he didn't say anything and his other scene with Dr. Crusher was omitted from both the movie and the deleted scenes on the dvd.
4)The deleted scene was much better if you have the dvd.

As far as the next movie, I'd love to see something new, maybe include some of the DS9/Voyager crew as well, with less emphasis on the TNG since they've gotten 4 movies by themselves more or less, Voyager and DS9 never got a second chance.
Old 08-05-03, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Re: is Star Trek The Next Generation offically done?

Originally posted by Dalvin
1) The main character dying: I will not reveal who it is, since there might be someone who hasn't seen it, but it was just a lame brain idea. and his "replacement" after he died........ come on now....challenge me intellectually.
Well, it was clear to me that the whole damn movie was ripping off Star Trek 2. The bad guy with a past against our captain, the death of a Main Character to save the ship - the shameless plagiarism was painful.

2)Why did Shinzon hate Picard so much?
The same reason that Snidley Whiplash (or any one dimensional character) hates the hero. Because he's evil and It's In The Script.

3) Why didn't Wesley say one damn word during the wedding commencement?
Didnt all of his scenes get cut? I seem to recall that's what happened.

4) The Ending- Come on, the ending shot is of piacrd walking down a coridor, and then the camera zooming out to show the enterprise in a DOCKING BAY????? That's the last shot of the enterprise in a docking bay??????
Congrats - you are a better man than I. I turned it off well before the ending - just after the bad guys got blown up and the touching 'farewell to a dead friend' scene.

it was the worst Trek movie of the Next Geration crew. I am very dissapoin
Still, that aren't saying much. All of the next gen movies have sucked ass.
Old 08-05-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: is Star Trek The Next Generation offically done?

Originally posted by El-Kabong
All of the next gen movies have sucked ass.
First Contact is my 2nd favorite Trek movie right after TUC, and Generations for the most part was pretty good.
Old 08-05-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picard already said he was done with it. so who knows. shouldn't this be in movie talk?
Old 08-05-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Picard already said he was done with it. so who knows.
Yeah, but he says that after *every* movie... Just a negotiating ploy to add a few more digits to his paycheck.
Old 08-05-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
Yeah, but he says that after *every* movie... Just a negotiating ploy to add a few more digits to his paycheck.
That's what Nimoy did after TMP
Old 08-05-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow.. lot's of teh acronyms in this thread.
Old 08-05-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Wow.. lot's of teh acronyms in this thread.
That's what you get with Trekies
Old 08-05-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My money is on Paramont coming out with another Enterprise that will be based in the future (Star Trek 3000 or something like that) with a new crew and whole new foes.

They should start off with the Federation on the brink of being destoryed and the end should give us hope that the Federation will live on, but with a few changes.
Old 08-05-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's time for a Star Trek war series. A falling apart of the federation, civil war, strange allies (Vulcans, Romulans) in the vein of B5 with a 7 year story arc that may not actually end in favor of the federation.

After all, the peace had to come after a war, and most of the series have only had battles. The most well intentioned government eventually will find itself in a war it didn't want, so why can't that happen in the Star Trek universe?
Old 08-05-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We did have a Star Trek war series, DS9.
Old 08-05-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by waporvare
It's time for a Star Trek war series. A falling apart of the federation, civil war, strange allies (Vulcans, Romulans) in the vein of B5 with a 7 year story arc that may not actually end in favor of the federation.

After all, the peace had to come after a war, and most of the series have only had battles. The most well intentioned government eventually will find itself in a war it didn't want, so why can't that happen in the Star Trek universe?
...um... DS9?
Old 08-05-03, 04:15 PM

I really want a DS9 movie. It could either cover the Millenium trilogy or the upcoming Unity book. Whichever, as Millenium kicked high holy ass and Unity is supposed to be about the return of Sisko.
Old 08-05-03, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Ok, how about a war in a series that didn't suck?

I will allways lament the series that never happened: The Adventures of Captain Sulu. It had everything: a tie to the old school series to hook old fans, a captain that wasnt afraid to throw down at a moments notice, a cool looking ship, an era of adventure where the Kingons were still bad guys. If handled right, that would have been The Bomb.

But alas, Paramount has no clue how to handle the franchise. Thus we get a suck ass series with Dr Beckett and crappy movies were they kill characters for a forced emotional pay-off.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 08-05-03 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-05-03, 04:25 PM

Dalvin, you had a perfectly good thread here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=309361

Why start a new one? Anyway, before this thread is sent on its way to Movie Talk:
Spoiler:
Spiner mentioned in several interviews that he couldn't keep playing the agelees android forever (Just look at Arnie in T3).
Why they had to make it lame, pointless, meaningless etc. I don't know.

2. They were trying for a Nemesis of ST2 proportions. Rather than taking someone from the series they invented this guy. No history=strange motivations for hate.

3. Wesley speaks at www.wilwheaton.net

4. At least it ended.
Old 08-05-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I will kill myself if their isn't a new star trek TNG film!!!!111

they really need to take a break from TNG for atleast 6-7 years.
Old 08-05-03, 05:42 PM

Personally, I think Stewart was, for intents and purposes, fired from Star Trek after the lame performance of Nemesis (which IMO was not his fault).

But consider: Stewart costs a lot of money to have in a Trek movie (and IMO he deserves it) and also exerts some control over the story (recall his Exec Producer credit in the last one), so getting rid of him allows Producer Rick Berman the ability to lower the budget and not have an actor tell him what should or should not happen.

Also, retiring the TNG cast allows Rick Berman to concentrate only the three Trek series he had a hand in creating (DS9, Voyager, Enterprise). By doing away with TNG, he effectively buries Roddenberry's Trek (as if he hadn't already). To tell the truth, I think Star Trek V (the weakest of the TOS movies) had many more good moments than did Nemesis and Generations combined.

If Paramount is going to continue to make movies like Nemesis -- which show a clear contempt for the die hard Trek fan and try solely to appeal to a new audience -- then I am happy to see the movie series end. I do wish TNG had gone out with class, like the TOS cast did in Star Trek VI.

As for what this has to do with DVD, I can only say that I received my DS9 season 4 in the mail today and I'm thrilled. I really think this is the best total season of any Trek series. The show hit its stride with these 25 episodes. The movie producers should grab a copy of this DVD set and sit down and study what made it so good.

The TNG DVD sets were great, even though many of the later seasons of TNG were lacking in substance. The DS9 sets have been great. I won't be buying Voyager sets, 'cause I didn't like that show one bit (and while Enterprise is not as bad as Voyager IMO, it is, more often than not, terrible). So it looks like DS9 Season 7 will be the end of Trek DVD line for me (not counting movie special editions).
Old 08-05-03, 05:57 PM
Rest in Peace

Let's face it Patrick Sterwart had enough and wanted to go into acting in theaters, I am still reading ST:TOS paperback books with same voices being 'heard' that they used on the show. LOL

P.S. I started reading ST books in the various years of being in the hospital for surgery on my busted to h*** ankle, there's nothing like getting your mind off of your pain and deep into a ST:TOS novel
Old 08-05-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Both Danol and Dalvin in the same thread... AHHH!! it's the sign of the end of the world!!!
Old 08-05-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was also more like "just end the damn movie" once our main character died, we don't need some bs sadness in the flick.
Old 08-05-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I was also more like "just end the damn movie" once our main character died, we don't need some bs sadness in the flick.
I never really liked Data growing up watching TNG, I wasn't as connected to him as when Spock died and I did watch TSFS before I watched TWOK for the first time.
Old 08-05-03, 11:01 PM

It is great to have these season sets to remind us of times when watching a Trek show didn't induce groaning...

however, the solution to the TNG cast's final exit should be:

Nick Meyer, director of II: Wrath of Kahn and VI: Undiscovered Country, should get a crack at writing & directing one, final Next Gen film. imagine all the Shakespeare quotes, etc!

will that ever happen? not with Berman and Bragga steering the franchise. they know best...just ask them. they'll tell you they do!

Last edited by phraseturner; 08-06-03 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-06-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bboisvert
...um... DS9?
Not quite the war I envision. I'm talking a split of the federation, a galactic war, shown from different angles. The politics of how it got there, from the Klingon council, Vulcan homeworld, Romulan Empire and many other worlds, plus maybe a different confederation previously unknown that shows up in the series.

What I'm thinking is entirely turning the Star Trek world upside down, major characters would actually die and make wrong decisions, and maybe, just maybe, the good guys don't win by the end of the series. That would set up one of two things either another series showing the reformation of the federation, or movies that begin with the former federation now being the underdogs trying to regain their former glory.

A series like that, with the outcome unknown, would generate a lot of buzz.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.