Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone else want 80s Twilight Zone?

Old 08-04-03, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, there were a lot of lame episodes, but it had its moments, especially (IMO) "Nightcrawlers" and "Shatterday" TNT occasionally reruns these, although I haven't seen Shatterday in a rerun, ever. Maybe the syndication package only included certain episodes? Anyone know the story?
Old 08-04-03, 09:38 PM

Oh hell yes...

Story editor was this fellow named Straczynski and adapted some stories from Serling's original notes (with the family's co-operation).

I would pay very good money for "Paladin of the Lost Hour" (Harlen Ellison) with Danny Kaye.

Last edited by Londo; 08-04-03 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-04-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts
I still remember "Nightcrawlers", that freaked the hell out of me, although I couldn't have been more than seven or eight when it aired. I also wouldn't mind seeing the one adapted from that Stephen King story "Gramma."
I don't know what it was called, but I remember this one episode where this woman found something in her backyard that gave her the ability to freeze frame the worl by saying "Shut up."
I'd be curious to see some of these shows again. I haven't seen them since they were originally on and I wonder how they hold up.
Old 08-04-03, 10:22 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

With some of the writers and directors involved with various episodes, it would be a horror/sci-fi wet dream for me.
So that's a BIG YES!
Old 08-04-03, 11:06 PM

This would be very cool !
Does anyone remember the 80's TV series called "Amazing Stories"
it was similer to Twilight Zone,id buy it on DVD as well.
Old 08-05-03, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love for Warner to finally release the 80's motion picture.
Why hasn't this been released yet?
Old 08-05-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Londo
I would pay very good money for "Paladin of the Lost Hour" (Harlen Ellison) with Danny Kaye.
I would be somewhere in that line, also.
Old 08-05-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 80s Twilight Zone was some terrific anthology television, it didn't pale in comparison to the original. You are not alone I remember a few threads on this and there are alot of us who would shell out for the TZ set. Hell, I would like to be able to catch them in repeats, I have never seen an episode repeat on TNT when do they air these?
Old 08-05-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
YES!
Old 08-05-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I still remember "Nightcrawlers", that freaked the hell out of me, although I couldn't have been more than seven or eight when it aired.
Was "Nightcrawlers" based on the the story by Robert McCameron? I'd love to see that, if it was.

Anyway: One solid vote for TZ and an even louder vote for Amazing Stories.
Old 08-06-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Originally posted by DeputyDave
Was "Nightcrawlers" based on the the story by Robert McCameron? I'd love to see that, if it was.
It was.

I remember watching it when I was around twelve and couldn't believe they were showing it on regular television.

I only saw it that one time, many years ago. I somehow doubt it was as intense or gory as my memory of it.

TNT was playing NTZ at odd times a few years back, but I was never able to catch a reshowing of this ep.
Old 08-06-03, 09:51 AM

They were basically fillers at 4:30 or 5:30 AM for TNT that might not show if someone didn't calculate the length of the preceding movie properly. At least I assume that's why they wouldn't show when scheduled since the movie would still be going at the scheduled time. I used to try and wake up to record these on my DVD recorder w/o commericals but gave up due to the above. I was going to start recording them on timer and edit the commericals out later, but then TNT quit scheduling period. Maybe they still show up when they have room, but it doesn't appear that they announce it ahead of time anymore.

I did get the episodes mentioned above "Shatterday" and "A Little Peace and Quiet" (the one with the housewife who stops time) from this run though. Unfortunately "Nightcrawlers" was one of the episodes that was scheduled and didn't air. These episodes did appear to have some things edited out of them for time though. I'd see names of characters listed in the credits that I never saw, and transitions from commercials would sometimes appear to be into a scene already in progress.

Obviously, I would support a DVD release of this series (and Amazing Stories - which pops up on the SciFi channel occasionally), too .

Last edited by houtx67; 08-06-03 at 09:55 AM.