Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How ironic. Ben Affleck giving advice on scripts on 'Project Greenlight'.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 02:01 PM
Rip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off, i love the hbo show 'project greenlight'. but for anyone that saw the beginning episodes and ben was advising the screenwriter and directors what to add and take away and look for in a script.
now granted, he has way more experience and did "write" an oscar winning screenplay, but man what has he done since? mediocre to terrible and over-exposed. and apparently he's now influencing j-lo's movie choices. the dude sucks with his choices and is so overrated.
so i found it so ironic with the brutal reaction to most of his movies and gigli that ben has lost so much credibility in the public's eye, or at least all the people i know, that he's dishing out advice on the show.
take care of your own scripts first ben.
rip
Old 08-04-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I trust him more as a writer then an actor any day. didn't studio's already learn that Ben is not able to carry a film by himself.

But I'll say it again. I trust him as a writer more then an actor. Did he write Gigli? nope, well atleast not to my knowledge. So in that sense he's just a pawn in the game.
Old 08-04-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is that ironic? The one movie he wrote he won an oscar as you've said.. he just seems to pick really bad movies to be in.
Old 08-04-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Looks like Rip doesn't think Ben "wrote" anything to do with Good Will Hunting, so arguing with him is probably a moot point.
Old 08-04-03, 03:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I believe William Goldman actually gives the advice to Ben off-camera, who then delivers it on the show.
Old 08-04-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-04-03, 05:51 PM
Rip

what's ironic is that ben, being an influental, powerful hollywood player and oscar winning writer/actor, should have seen that the scripts for most of his movies were poor before he signed on and definently before and during filming. don't most hollywood types say that a good script is everything? so what's amusing is that he's dishing out advice on how to write a better script to these amateurs, when apparently his words of wisdom haven't helped his movies one bit.
as well, i'm a resonable guy, so saying that i want to argue about this is ridiculous. i'm just lending my 2 cents.
rip
Old 08-04-03, 09:55 PM
Banned

It is ironic considering he seems to never read the ones he's given. Yes, he did receive a writing credit for Good Will Hunting, and I'm sure he did write some of it too. I would take his advice in a heartbeat, I wouldn't pay for it but I'd like his input.
Old 08-04-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: How ironic. Ben Affleck giving advice on scripts on 'Project Greenlight'.

Originally posted by Rip
mediocre to terrible and over-exposed. and apparently he's now influencing j-lo's movie choices. the dude sucks with his choices and is so overrated.
That's the part that I found most amusing.....cause JHo was setting the experimental indie world on fire with her courageous film choices prior to meeting Ben Affleck....and his influence on her would be what, one film, Jersey Girl, that is months from being released.
Old 08-04-03, 10:46 PM
Banned

Re: Re: How ironic. Ben Affleck giving advice on scripts on 'Project Greenlight'.

Originally posted by clemente
That's the part that I found most amusing.....cause JHo was setting the experimental indie world on fire with her courageous film choices prior to meeting Ben Affleck....and his influence on her would be what, one film, Jersey Girl, that is months from being released.
What? Angel Eyes...The Cell...The Wedding Planner...Money Train...Anaconda. When did J.Lo ever do an indie film?
Old 08-04-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
[McBain]That's the joke[/McBain]
Old 08-04-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Can we please put a moratorium on anti-"Gigli" related threads? We get the joke. Everyone hates Ben Affleck. There are many dozens of far more worthy Internet thread hatred out there, surely. Enough already!
Old 08-05-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
We giving lucas and disney a break. it is the month of the AFFLACK bashing.
Old 08-05-03, 12:17 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jericho
[McBain]That's the joke[/McBain]
Oh yeah. I re-read it and got it now.
Old 08-05-03, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
I'll see that and double it

Why is it hard to believe that he can write? Why do people think that his acting ability is somehow linked to his writing ability?

Does my inability to fix a car somehow hinder my ability to drive one? No.
Old 08-05-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
It's his inability to pick a good script which makes it hard to believe he can write, not his acting.
Old 08-05-03, 09:21 AM

Ben Affleck should really take J-Lo's balls out of his mouth.
I will give him full credit for his role in Boiler Room. As someone who has grown up in the investment business most of my life, I can say that his portrayal was superb. Hasn't done anything since, however.
Old 08-05-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Can we please put a moratorium on anti-"Gigli" related threads? We get the joke. Everyone hates Ben Affleck. There are many dozens of far more worthy Internet thread hatred out there, surely. Enough already!
I actually hate Jennifer Lopez....can I continue with the the bashing?

Huge Ben Affleck fan by the way.