Community
Search

Universal Classic Monsters Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-03, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Universal Classic Monsters Question

Hi,

I have a question about the OOP Universal Classic Monster Collection.

I have seen 2 different boxed sets floating around. The first has 8 discs:

Frankenstein
The Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula
The Invisible Man
Phantom of the Opera
Creature from the Black Lagoon
The Wolfman
The Mummy

The other set contains 3 double features:

The Mummy's Ghost/The Mummy's Curse
The Mummy's Hand/The Mummy's Tomb
Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein

Is that all that was released? I am just curious. I have a friend who is selling off some of his collection and I am going to buy the 8-disc set from him. I am just wondering if these two sets encompass everything that has been released so far.

Thanks so much for any information.

Zack
Old 08-02-03, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! There were also three other Universal double-feature horror DVDs. "WEREWOLF OF LONDON/SHE-WOLF OF LONDON" , "DRACULA'S DAUGHTER/SON OF DRACULA" , and "FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN/HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN", (my personal favorite!). It's a great series of movies. The extras included with the original 8 films, ("FRANKENSTEIN", "DRACULA", etc...), are phenomenal! They really went all out with some of the documentaries, especially considering the age of most of them.
Old 08-02-03, 01:49 AM

Were those other three double features released as a boxed set as well??

I only have one disc from the entore set right now (the original Frankenstein) and I think it is just incredible!!

Thanks very much for responding.

Zack

Last edited by ZackR; 08-02-03 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 02:06 AM

I've never seen them in a box-set. ( I purchased ALL of my UNIVERSAL Horror movies individually in fact, including the original 8 in the series.) Yeah, you're right, the "FRANKENSTEIN" DVD was VERY well done. "DRACULA" is at least as good, if not better! It also includes the Spanish-version of the movie on the the same disc.
Old 08-02-03, 02:09 AM

OK. I just wanted to be sure. I saw two of those three individually. I had never seen a boxed set either. I am going to get the boxed set (8 discs) from my friend and then try to pick off the rest of them as well. I am a sucker for those movies...or at least those that I have seen!
Old 08-02-03, 02:31 AM

I'd have to say that the biggest dissapointment of the bunch would be "DRACULA'S DAUGHTER/SON OF DRACULA", in my opinion. But even if I knew ahead of time how bad they were, I STILL would have gotten the disc, just so that I could have the complete series. (I think sometimes I'm a little TOO compulsive for my own good! :-) Oh well...). What I am MOST surprised about is that they never got around to releasing a "REVENGE OF THE CREATURE/THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US" double-feature disc from the "CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON" series of films. (My daughters' favorites.) Maybe someday...
Old 08-02-03, 02:40 AM

Trust me, I know all about compulsive nature. I am a completist to my very core man! I am not too familiar with all the classic horror films in their library, but I think I am going to hunt them all down eventually and I definitely hope any unreleased titles see a DVD release someday.
Old 08-02-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do not recall that the double features were ever released in a box set of any kind from Universal. Were they?
Old 08-02-03, 03:11 AM

Yup. They sure were (3 of them anyways).

Look here.

Zack
Old 08-02-03, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ZackR
Yup. They sure were (3 of them anyways).

Look here.

Zack
I know about that box set but the orignal poster said :

The other set contains 3 double features:

The Mummy's Ghost/The Mummy's Curse
The Mummy's Hand/The Mummy's Tomb
Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein
Old 08-02-03, 05:12 AM

ernestrp,

I apologize. I was mistaken. I misread an article elsewhere. You are correct. There apparently is not a set of those 3 double features....

Sorry for any confusion.

Zack
Old 08-02-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These are worth hunting down if you are a fan. The initial MSRP on the Double Features was 29.95 and I had trouble finding them for 25.00 you can pick them up for still about 30 each if you hunt around half.com etc.. also I found a couple of these at CDuniverse a month ago for the MSRP.
The extras on the doubles aren't up to ones included with COLLECTION, however the films look and sound great considering their age and the production notes are actually quite thorough and interesting.
Old 08-02-03, 10:39 AM
Defunct Account

I am pretty sure that there is not a set of three double features. I looked for a decent price on the doubles the entire time they were in print, and don't recall a box set.

I have them all, and they are a great set. I just wish they had put out more. They shoudl have put out House of Dracula/ House of Horrors, and Spider Woman/Spider Woman Strikes Back DVDs. Hopefully some day.

As to the prices, I have not kept pace with the current market, but I believe the original 8 movies are easier to find (and a lot cheaper) than the double features. Even when they were in print, the double features were hard to find in stock. I eventually had to grit my teeth and pay *gasp* near retail at Borders to get the last two I needed. I'm glad I did.

-Videophile
Old 08-02-03, 10:51 AM

The only other major "Classic Universal Horror movie" that I am aware of to not be released, was the 1945 film "HOUSE OF DRACULA", starring Lon Chaney, Jr. as the Wolfman, John Carradine as Dracula, and Glenn Strange as Frankenstein's monster. Not a bad movie at all, I think that they just could'nt find another suitable movie to pair it with for the "double-feature" series, and did'nt think it would sell well enough on its own. (This is actually one of the ONLY Universal Monster VHS cassette tapes that I still own. I sold off the others as soon as I was able to replace them on DVD.) The other ones that I am STILL waiting for are 1955's "THIS ISLAND EARTH" and "TARANTULA", and the 1956 feature "THE MOLE PEOPLE". Who knows? Maybe they will revive the "double-feature" series again someday. I definitely think that there is still an audience out there for them.
Old 08-02-03, 06:48 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
this island earth

Actually, This Island Earth has been released - in 2 formats. 1) on the Mystery Science 3000 : The movie DVD, and 2) the movie only DVD from Image.

Unfortunately, they are both OOP now.. On ebay, The movie only version goes between $50 and $75, while the MS3K goes for about $30.

Good movie, but not worth THAT much, imho.
Old 08-02-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Universal Classic Monsters get about the most replay from my collection----I can watch these over and over again. I agree that Son of Dracula was a bit weak, but I really liked Dracula's Daughter---although it wasn't a masterpiece, to me it still had the feel of the classy 30's Universal production which was missing from a lot of the 40's offerings.

I'd really like to see a double feature of the Invisible Man sequels.
Old 08-02-03, 09:50 PM

Hey cinemaman,...you're right! I can't believe I forgot about "THIS ISLAND EARTH" already being released, like that! (I guess I must be slipping in my old age.) :-) I agree though, as nice as it would be to own it on DVD, it is a little hard to justify its current street-price, now that it's Out-Of-Print. Maybe someday I'll get lucky and find it somewhere second-hand for a half-way decent amount of money. Thanks for the correction!
Old 08-03-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Indiana Conn
The only other major "Classic Universal Horror movie" that I am aware of to not be released, was the 1945 film "HOUSE OF DRACULA", starring Lon Chaney, Jr. as the Wolfman, John Carradine as Dracula, and Glenn Strange as Frankenstein's monster.
What about:

THE BLACK CAT
THE RAVEN
THE INVISIBLE RAY

...all starring Karloff and Lugosi?
Old 08-03-03, 02:35 PM

Just wanted to say that these are excellent dvd's. I love the classics. I have The Invisible Man starring Claude Rains. The transfer is poor but oh... what a movie... the special effects for the time period were just amazing as well. I bought my copy on half.com and I paid through the nose for it. I'm hoping they will re-release these soon.
Old 08-03-03, 08:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
They are the same prints used for the LD's with "NO" restoratrion.

Spend your money, but the owners of LD's aren't fooled!!!
Old 08-03-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sparks
They are the same prints used for the LD's with "NO" restoratrion.

Spend your money, but the owners of LD's aren't fooled!!!
I agree. I have no idea why people drool over these movies. I considered Dracula and The Invisible Man to be nearly unwatchable. I should sell mine on ebay...
Old 08-03-03, 10:24 PM

Are there any plans to re-release these?

I have Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstien, Dracula, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Invisible Man & The Mummy

I really really really really want The Wolfman it's my favorite of them all, I'd also like to pick up the double features, which I didn't have money for originally
Old 08-04-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Easy
I agree. I have no idea why people drool over these movies.
Because we LIKE them?

Current rumor has Universal re-releasing these next year to coincide with the theatrical release of Van Helsing. We'll see if the rumor comes true or not, though.

I have a website with info on the Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection DVDs. Please check it out if you wish: http://shillpages.com/uscmc
Old 08-04-03, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by shill66
Because we LIKE them?
My mistake. I like the movies too. I should have said: I have no Idea why people drool over these dvds. Dracula and The Invisible Man in particular looked like crap. If there was even a cursory effort made at restoration I would be very surprised. I found the damage to be very distracting. In fact, I haven't watched any of them again.
Old 08-04-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I also heard a rumor that when they re-released (to coincide with "Van Helsing") them, that they would be released with new cover art and no extras.

Again, it's not confirmed, but nothing Universal does surprises me these days.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.