Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Difference btwn 2 versions ("And Then There Were None")

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anybody tell me what the differences are between these two versions of And Then There Were None?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

The main difference seems to be that the1st DVD is in full-screen format. So what does that make the 2nd one? Certainly not widescreen, huh? Also, the 2nd DVD seems to have a bonus comedy short that the 1st one doesn't have.

Anybody own either of these two and care to give a review?

Old 07-31-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And Then There Were None is in the public domain, so you're going to find dozens of versions out there if you hunt around.

The $9.99 one that you are linking to is the VCI edition (which I have). The picture quality is pretty decent...

The other one is Wade Williams/Image. I haven't seen it, but I imagine it's fine too.

Personally, I'd go with the cheaper one...
Old 07-31-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Simple explanation. Thanks.

I want to read the book before I watch the movie, but I guess I'd be ruining the movie if I did that. Of course if I did it the other way around, I'd ruin the book. Oh well!

Old 08-01-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Image one is (somewhat) restored. (Nothing like what Criterion did with early Hitchcocks like The Thirty-Nine Steps and The Lady Vanishes but it is an improvement.) The VCI one always seems slightly fuzzy, blurry, out of focus. Sometimes the sharper picture on the Image DVD makes the flaws stand out more though. Be assured, neither one is that great.

All in all, I find the Image DVD more pleasing and easier on the eyes. Is it worth the price difference? I would say yes because it's not going to break you and I always like having the best version. Of course, it is up to you.
Old 08-01-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib
The Image one is (somewhat) restored. (Nothing like what Criterion did with early Hitchcocks like The Thirty-Nine Steps and The Lady Vanishes but it is an improvement.) The VCI one always seems slightly fuzzy, blurry, out of focus. Sometimes the sharper picture on the Image DVD makes the flaws stand out more though. Be assured, neither one is that great.

All in all, I find the Image DVD more pleasing and easier on the eyes. Is it worth the price difference? I would say yes because it's not going to break you and I always like having the best version. Of course, it is up to you.
Ah, that's what I figured. I knew there had to be a reason for the price difference. Thanks.

Old 08-01-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You could also get this DVD:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BFD030592

It includes not only "And Then There Were None", but also "Cry Panic" (a TV movie from the 1970s with John Forsythe and Anne Francis) and "The Bat" (a fun chiller with Vincent Price and Agnes Moorehead).

$5.99 shipped from DDD. Again, this obviously isn't a reference-quality disc, but it is definitely watchable and you can't go wrong with the price.
Old 08-01-03, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert

$5.99 shipped from DDD.
Thanks for the suggestion. Seems kind of a poor business practice to see DDD doesn't bother listing the titles of this disc on the page, though.
Old 08-01-03, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't remember which version I've got (I'm not at home now), but my copy seemed to have an audio sync problem that was a bit on the annoying side.

I would recommend reading the book first, but there are a couple significant differences between the book and the movie, so you won't completely ruin the book by watching the movie first.
Old 08-01-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I own both versions as well and agree that the Image one has the better image/transfer. I was going to sell my VCI disc but the comedy short on it (it stars Edgar Kennedy) is actually very good. There is a new DVD of Edgar Kennedy shorts coming out so maybe it will be on there and I can sell off my VCI disc.
Old 08-01-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't the short on that disc "Twin Husbands" with Leon Errol? If so, that is definitely on the new DVD of 10 Errol shorts (also put out by VCI).
Old 08-01-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bboisvert

It includes not only "And Then There Were None", but also "Cry Panic" (a TV movie from the 1970s with John Forsythe and Anne Francis) and "The Bat" (a fun chiller with Vincent Price and Agnes Moorehead).

$5.99 shipped from DDD. Again, this obviously isn't a reference-quality disc, but it is definitely watchable and you can't go wrong with the price.
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. You're right, you can't go wrong with the price. Vincent Price, that is. MWAHAHAHAHA! <--scary, evil laugh