Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lollapalooza seating question for those who've attended this year

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 03:09 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are they handling the pavillion seating?

I've only been to one festival before, and for it they let people sit anywhere for the first few lesser known bands, then had everyone leave the pavillion seating, and then renter with the ushers checking tickets.

I'm just trying to figure when to show up, I have second row seats but I swear I remember seeing something on the Lollapalloza presale sight when I ordered them months ago about pit seating being general admission.

The gates open at 12, but the main stage shows don't start until 2:25. I don't want to show up, and get in my seats, in earlier than I have to. So I'm hoping the ushers check tickets the whole time, or do the above thing when the bigger bands start (I really don't care about being in the 2nd row for the first few bands).

Of course I realize the policy might vary by venue, I'm just curious as to how it was handled at the previous shows so far.
Old 07-30-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw the show in Columbus a few weeks ago at an amphitheater with a capacity of around 17000 (7000 pavilion/10000 lawn). I got to the show right when the Donnas started playing. My seats were towards the back of the pavillion and the ushers always checked our tickets before we could enter the pavillion area to sit down throughout the show, so I'm not sure if there was an actual "pit" area or not. We were occasionally able to get up a little closer and sit about half-way to the stage with no problems up until Jane's played, then the ushers were out in full force and we couldn't get passed our assigned seat section. Of course like you said though it may very per venue, but that's how it went for us.
Old 07-30-03, 09:21 PM
Retired

Yeah, at pavillions the "pit" is usually just the closest sections of seats down front. All I've been to have been that way anyway.
Old 07-30-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
usually, ushers check tickets to make sure you are supposed to be in the seats. no one enforces where you are sitting, though.
Old 07-30-03, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the Clarkston show the pavillion was never G.A. They also had no pit. The pit had seats in it. I sat 10 rows back. Was able to get to and from the second stage really easily.

I had been to the Sprite Liquid Mix Tour last year and it was G.A. until the last two acts. Lolla is different though.
Old 07-31-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they had a pit in St. Louis

and the ushers will likely check your tickets every time.

usually (with the times that bands take the stage on Lolla web)
there's not much crowd for the afternoon portions.
Old 07-31-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticketmaster says the pit for the Atlanta show is standing room only... I believe they have no seats in the first 6 or 7 rows where pit ticket holders can stand, but I might be wrong. I've never been to a show like that.

Personally, for every Lollapalooza I've attended I was WAY more interested in the first half of the lineup than the last... I'm glad they enforced the seating policy from the very first act.
Old 08-03-03, 05:44 PM
Retired

It was general admission and there were no seats in the pit.

I had a blast though. It didn't get packed in there until Incubus, so we had no problem getting right up front.

Easily the best concert festival I've been too. All the bands on the main stage were great, especially Audioslave. Of course Jane's Addiction was phenomenal as always.