Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

jazz-rock/jazz fusion/whatever bands or albums?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's something i've been meaning to look into for a while, after going to this one guy's house with a couple friends and he was playing what I suppose could be considered 'jazz fusion' or jazz-rock or whatever, but i didn't think of asking him who it was.

From what I remember it was kinda jazzy, but it had a lot of fast electric guitar playing, and it sounded really cool. I've downloaded mp3s and listened to samples etc all over amazon.com but can't really find anything that sounds like it. A lot of it's too slow, has too much of a weird, funky 70s sound to it if you know what I mean, some of it just sounds too/not enough jazzy to match what i'm looking for, and much of it I just don't like at all.

Any recommendations? I suppose it wouldn't have to be exactly what i'm looking for; i'm always open to new genres of music (unless it sucks, of course
Old 07-29-03, 02:30 PM

The Mars Volta.
Old 07-29-03, 02:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
As far as I know this is import-only, but one of the best (IMO) jazz-techno fusion bands is the UK band called "The Egg", and I highly recommend them:

The Egg

It's one of the rare albums where all the songs are great, no filler, and is best heard from the beginning straight to the end.
Old 07-29-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
Old 07-29-03, 03:49 PM

Maybe it was Alan Holdsworth. He is a "jazz fusion" guitarist that definitely fits that description.

There is also Frank Gambale who used to play with Chick Corea Electrik Band (which is also a great fusion band).

I suggest Tribal Tech. Scott Henderson is a great guitarist and not your general fusion guitarist of all technique and no soul.
Old 07-29-03, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, guys
Originally posted by Giles
As far as I know this is import-only, but one of the best (IMO) jazz-techno fusion bands is the UK band called "The Egg", and I highly recommend them:

The Egg

It's one of the rare albums where all the songs are great, no filler, and is best heard from the beginning straight to the end.
Know of anywhere I can download mp3s or listen to samples of this album? Amazon doesn't haven any.

-nevermind, found their website

Last edited by tha_dvd_man; 07-29-03 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by palebluedot
Maybe it was Alan Holdsworth. He is a "jazz fusion" guitarist that definitely fits that description.

There is also Frank Gambale who used to play with Chick Corea Electrik Band (which is also a great fusion band).

I suggest Tribal Tech. Scott Henderson is a great guitarist and not your general fusion guitarist of all technique and no soul.
Allan Holdsworth is a guitar god...standing high above all. his Soft Machine stuff...you may not like. but try his double team efforts with his "thunder from down under" mate...Frank Gambale. the cd Truth In Shredding...kicks major ass. I prefer guitar driven fusion...like the great Steve Lukather and Los Lobotomys. I also secong the suggestion of Scott Henderson. saw him and Tribal about 10 times live. also...Steve Morse either with the Dregs..or without...will I'm sure, please your taste buds.

lets continue:
  • Jeff Berlin
  • Bill Bruford
  • Jean-Luc Ponty
  • Gamelon
  • Brand X..(although more progressive at times)
...all rock..I mean jazz...I mean...TASTY stuff maynard.

I produced and hosted a Fusion radio show for 15 years. there are hundreds of killer cds. try [IMG]THIS[/IMG] link and go to a music outlet that specializes in mostly imported fusion. after all...the best music is found outside the U.S..

I'll list more later. I have over 2,000 cd's....and half are fusion/progressive releated.

oops...link didnt seem to work. if not, just go to Audiophile Imports.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 07-29-03 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-30-03, 01:39 PM
Cool New Member

Mahavishnu Orchestra: Inner Mounting Flame
Old 07-30-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try the cowboy bebop albums (go on ebay to get them much cheaper.
Old 07-30-03, 09:49 PM

Well thanks guys, especially gutwrencher. Many good infos. Still browsing through various albums and listening to samples at amazon.com.....the stuff mentioned in this thread has been quite varied. I dunno what to choose!

On the other hand...
Originally posted by Giles

The Egg

Giles, thanks for recommending this. It was actually hardly what I was looking for, but all the better.....I listened to the samples on the Egg website and I really liked their sound, so I ordered the cd off of amazon.com (the last one they had in stock, too ). Do you know of any other albums--albums that I wouldn't have to search around the net for or pay $35 bucks for as an import off of amazon--that have a similar sound? For quite some time I've been a fan of the dance/electronica genre, but my tastes have been very selective in what I like and what sounds boring, generic and 'me-too'. Travelator has a really cool kinda funk sound to it, and kind of sounds like Sega-videogame menu music or something, only better. Anything similar you'd suggest?

Thanks again for the responses, folks.