Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help me with this installation!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello there!

My setup:

DVD player: Pioneer dv-k101

Receiver: Sony STR-DE635 5.1 dolby digital receiver

Subwoofer: Profile by Dahlquist

I have a problem with connecting the subwoofer to my system. My Sony receiver has two "outs", (not colored, but colored wires Red and White fit there). This is labeled as "subwoofer" and "audio out"

My subwoofer has two ins (Low Level In), a Red and a White.
My DVD player has 4 audio-outs, Right and Left and another pair of Right and Left, located right under the ther pair.

If I connect my subwoofer through the DVD output, there's sound from the sub. But not if I connect it through my receiver, which I believe is the correct way to do it.

so how should I connect my subwoofer? It's got speaker outs, but I don't want to filter it through the sub, I wanna use the receiver.

Thank you SO MUCH!
Old 07-28-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you are correct in your assumption, connect your sub to the receiver, not the DVD player.

Your dvd player has multi channel outputs to connect to a receiver via multi channel inputs if needed. You don't need to use them. Just connect your DVD player via coaxial or optical (toslink) digital output to the receiver.

Also, connect your speakers to the receiver as well.

Question: Where is your manual for your Sony receiver?

If lost, then go to:
http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/conversa...ver=6&res=high

Type in: user guide click search and it will provide a link to download your manual. Look on page 8.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 07-28-03 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-28-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Sonic! Very appreciated.

I put an RCA cable in the PCM output of my DVD player (I guess this is coaxial), disconnected all the other stuff. It works, yahoo.

But my Subwoofer is NOT working, I connected it to the receiver in subwoofer audio out, but nothing.

There is something called impedance on the back under the subwoofer, I don't know wether it should be 4 or 8 ohm?

My woofer only has 120v 60 hz bla bla written, nothing about ohm.

The woofer worked before, when i had it connected with the RCA cables everywhere etc. But not now when I have it connected with the coaxial. the "Setup" on the receiver has subwoofer enabled....

Any ideas?
Old 07-28-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is with every receiver:
Make sure to set the speaker sizes all to "Small" (as opposed to "Large"). This enables all the LFEs to go to the sub. If that doesn't work, make sure the sub is on (maybe try switching the power from Auto to On if that option is available). If that doesn't work, try connecting the sub cable from the red input to the white input (some subs use only one of those channels. Hope that helps!

Oh yeah, and also to make sure the impedence is set to 8ohm. I'm pretty sure that receiver is NOT a 4ohm receiver.
Old 07-28-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Steebo. I live in Europe, (230v as opposed to 120v) and appearently the converter had an output of 45 watts - my subwoofer is 500 watts, so I can't even test if it works. but I'll repot if it doesn't, I don't think it will.
Old 07-29-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All right, I got a converter so I can test it....

My DVD player only has 4 RCa outputs, named 1 and 2. No center or subwoofer output on the DVD player.

If I connect through coaxial from the DVD player to the receiver, there is no output to the subwoofer.

So I took RCA's from the DVD player to the receiver, but like I said there's nothing to put in the RCA plug "subwoofer input" on the receiver. Thus, no output.

The sizes were all set to Small, the sub is on.

EDIT: I fixed it! Output on the DVD player was PCM, not PCM dolby digital.

Last edited by Parcher; 07-29-03 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-29-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Just connect your DVD player via coaxial or optical (toslink) digital output to the receiver.
As Sonicflood said, when you connect the one digital output (either coaxial which looks like an RCA plug or optical whick looks like an odd-shaped black output), that one digital output goes to your receiver. On the back of the receiver, find the sub output. Plug an RCA (composite) cable from the sub output on the receiver to the input on your subwoofer. Good luck.