Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What New Show Is Guaranteed To Fail?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What New Show Is Guaranteed To Fail?

Of all of the new shows on the air this fall... which one has the best shot at sucking badly?

My vote goes to Whoopi. I have not seen a single promo that looked even remotely funny... for that matter, Whoopie Goldberg is really not an inherently likeable or bankable star.
Old 07-27-03, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OC on FOX. Or just all of FOX's fall new fall shows.
Old 07-27-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whoopi..
Old 07-27-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen the Whoopi pilot. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The worst pilot I've seen is NYPD 2069. DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW! Trust me.
Old 07-27-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Blaster1
I've seen the Whoopi pilot. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The worst pilot I've seen is NYPD 2069. DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW! Trust me.
NYPD 2069 was not picked up by Fox. Is it just me, or is a NYPD Blue: Sex Crimes Unit show with Kim Delany like a no brainer?

Of the shows that will be heavily pushed, I think Coupling on NBC will be canceled pretty soon. I've seen a clip of the pilot and it's awful.
Old 07-27-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is good to know. I'd go with Tarzan(formerly Tarzan and Jane) to be gone quick. It wasn't that good either. Norm MacDonald's new show isn't very good either. It is called A Minute with Stan Hooper. It has a horrible laugh track that laughs at like every word they say.

Last edited by Blaster1; 07-27-03 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-27-03, 11:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally posted by madcougar
Is it just me, or is a NYPD Blue: Sex Crimes Unit show with Kim Delany like a no brainer?
I think people would just write that off as just a clone of Law and Order:SVU. Considering how good SVU was this past season a show like that would have a lot to live up too.

Not for quaulity reasons but I think Tru Calling will probably fail. It doesn't start until sweeps and is up against Friends and Survivor. Plus it's on Fox and that is never a plus.
Old 07-27-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually was intrequed by the prieview for the O.C
Old 07-27-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ABC's Karen Sisco, the "Out of Sight" adaptation, doesn't sound that appealing. I highly doubt it will do well. Sort of reminds me of that TV series based on "Dangerous Minds"...doomed, really.

I also think FOX's "Luis" and "The Ortegas" probably won't do well. I'm unsure of "Arrested Development" or that Norm McDonald one, but none of the new sitcoms seem to interest me. I don't know enough about Tru Calling, but the promos for the OC seem mildly interesting, at least for an episode or two.

Really, I might watch Whoopi's new sitcom. Maybe it will suck, but I want to give it a try. Go figure.
Old 07-27-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I have no idea. I haven't really paid much attention to what the new shows will be this fall.
Old 07-27-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Arrested Development rocks. The pilot is entertaining. The OC is also cool and one of my favorite pilots of the upcoming season. Karen Sisco is rather boring. The actress playing her just doesn't have much charisma. The best part of the pilot is the bad guy and it looks like he is only in for one episode.
Old 07-27-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

aren't they priemiereing the pilot of O.C in the summer (august), and picking up the show in the fall.
Old 07-27-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Coupling will do well. It might struggle for a couple of eps but once the cast builds a solid chemistry and once they can get the timing of the jokes down, they'll do very well. Plus NBC is promoting the hell out of it. With so much money invested, all they have to do is tell the actors to watch and imitate the british version, and then just sit back and wait for the dough to rollllll in!
Old 07-27-03, 11:54 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of the shows that have been mentioned are pretty high-profile. If these shows are guaranteed to fail, what's going to succeed? Of course something to take into consideration is that quality often usually has little to do on whether a show gets cancelled or not.
Old 07-27-03, 11:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Based on the interest in this forum, I don't like "Karen Sisco" is doomed to fail unless they really screw it up.
Old 07-27-03, 11:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Threat Matrix, because of the timeslot.

Also, any sci-fi show on Fox. Unless it's on a night other than Friday, in which case it will succeed for a little while until Fox movies it to Friday. THEN it will fail.
Old 07-28-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Threat Matrix, because of the timeslot, AND because it is horrible. I saw the pilotm, and it was God-awful.

Whoopi is pretty bad as well.
Old 07-28-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Tru Calling. Eliza is a hottie but there are not nearly enough Eliza fans to keep it alive against the last season of Friends, Survivor, and FOX impatience. It will be yanked before Christmas.

Is it just me, or is a NYPD Blue: Sex Crimes Unit show with Kim Delany like a no brainer?
That is still a possibility. Kim is slated for a 4-episode run on Blue this season so that could be used as the launching point for a Blue spinoff with Delaney. Of course, I think ABC should just bring back Philly. I enjoyed her character far more on that show than I did Diane.

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-28-03 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-28-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

UPN's "Rock Me Baby". A hip young couple has a baby and now has to balance their trendy lifestyle with domestic chores.

Phew!
Old 07-28-03, 10:26 AM
Banned

Isn't NYPD 2069 done by Bochco, the guy that does NYPD Blue? I seem to recall reading an article somewhere that said he was signed to develop a futuristic police show.
Old 07-28-03, 01:55 PM

Re: What New Show Is Guaranteed To Fail?

Originally posted by NCMojo
Of all of the new shows on the air this fall... which one has the best shot at sucking badly?

My vote goes to Whoopi. I have not seen a single promo that looked even remotely funny... for that matter, Whoopie Goldberg is really not an inherently likeable or bankable star.
I think it was Kinnisson who said it..... "Whoopi Goldberg...... the entire world got together and decided they were going to be nice to somebody."
Old 07-28-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by freedexter
ABC's Karen Sisco, the "Out of Sight" adaptation, doesn't sound that appealing. I highly doubt it will do well. Sort of reminds me of that TV series based on "Dangerous Minds"...doomed, really.
I think this show will be one of the best new shows coming this fall. I loved the book Out of Sight and can't wait to see more of Carla Gugino.
Old 07-28-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The episode of NBC's Coupling that I saw looked really bad. I watched it without having seen the original and there was almost no chemistry. It felt like the whole cast was just trying way too hard. NBC has so much invested in it, however, that it's going to have every chance to succeed. It may never anchor Thursday night like Friends does, but it might hang around for a couple seasons.

Tru Calling was pretty underwhelming as well. It's got its charms and I can see some people really liking it; but I wouldn't recommend anyone get too attached to it for all the reasons already cited.

I also saw an episode of Karen Sisco. It was okay. I never read the book, but I did like the movie quite a bit. The show lacks most of the movies style, but what there is of it is passable.

I've had Threat Matrix there waiting to be watched for a few weeks now and yet I've managed to pass on it. Wonder why.
Old 07-28-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
The Mullets. eom
Old 07-28-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone that I wind up liking? That seems to be the pattern.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.