Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

your thoughts on natural born killers?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: your thoughts on natural born killers
**** a classic
40.30%
*** pretty good
25.37%
** decent too violent
8.96%
* a travisty compared to Tarentino's original script
19.40%
I haven't seen it yet
5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally thing this movie is a great movie, using numerous different film styles.

If Quinten had his way and either got to direct or have his vision, how would it be and what changes would there be?
Old 07-26-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
I'm tettering between "Classic" and "Pretty Good". I think a movie has to hit it's teen years before it can be bestowed the term "Classic". So far I think it holds up remarkably, and I'm sure has the same effect on a first time viewer today as when it was released. This was a movie that really beat the hell out of my brain.

I think it would have been an average to bad movie had Tarantino gotten his way. Leaving aside how heavy handed/political the Stone version was, I don't see how anyone could preferr the original script over the re-write. I found Tarantino's script to be dull, poorly paced, and eposodic. There are a few good scenes in it, but he was still honing his craft. If Tarantino had done it low budget, before Reservoir Dogs, I'm sure it would have been a lame, dull, straight to video movie, that he'd probebly try and hide in later years the way Kubrick did Fear and Desire.
Old 07-26-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

are there any places to access Tarantino's script?
Old 07-26-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
are there any places to access Tarantino's script?
It's been published. Try a bookstore like Chapters that has a large screenplay section. It's interesting to read to see which scenes remained the same for the movie; the opening, Scagnetti meeting the Warden; Wayne convincing Mickey to do the interview. The script is like the movie is an episode of American Maniacs, and the ending is the same as the movie
Spoiler:
Man Bites Dog
Old 07-26-03, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's pretty good, but the in-your-face, all-over-the-place direction gets both tedious and distracting during the course of the movie. Great performances from Harrelson and Lewis, and the image of Tommy Lee Jones as that prison warden is something I'll never forget. Grade: B

I'm going to go read " Scagnetti on Scagnetti " now.
Old 07-26-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
the image of Tommy Lee Jones as that prison warden is something I'll never forget. Grade: B

the image I'll never forget is the shot
Spoiler:
of his head hanging from a pole
thats only in the unrated version.
Old 07-26-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has to be one of the only movies I had to turn off. And usually I don't get bothered by stuff like this. I'm still ashamed of myself for never finishing the movie.
Old 07-26-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Corvin
This has to be one of the only movies I had to turn off. And usually I don't get bothered by stuff like this. I'm still ashamed of myself for never finishing the movie.
I felt like turning it off half-way through but I paid money to rent it so decided to watch all of it. I hated it with a passion. What a waste of time, I can't believe anyone would make such trash.
Old 07-27-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

classic
Old 07-27-03, 12:20 AM

I don't know; this is the kind of movie where as after the first couple of views, one proclaims its genius but after seeing again after quite a gap of time it seems garbled and sloshed. I would probably still defend the violence in the movie just not the presentation. I think its a stylized movie with good substance that actually fails of its merits of style.

Just my grumblings.
Old 07-27-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this is truly a great movie. Especially the director's cut. Stone's second best.
Old 07-27-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a classic for me. I usually don't like violent movies, but I feel every bit of the violence here is justified and it actually makes adds to the point of the satire. There are moments when the movie lags a bit in action
Spoiler:
the scene with the indian, etc.
but those moments are actually the ones contributing the most to the symbolism in the film and to understanding the characters complexity.

I don't think this will be considered a classic overall however, because love it/hate it movies don't usually reach this status... Well... maybe Clockwork Orange did so who knows...
Old 07-27-03, 11:53 AM

I love this movie. The Rodney Dangerfield part is hilarious.
Old 07-27-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved the movie. It floored me when I first watched it and I believe that the film is more relevant today than when it was released. It's an excellent satire of our society and of what it takes to become a celebrity, which is all the more relevant with the burgeoning popularity of reality tv/movies.
Old 07-27-03, 01:47 PM

I saw it when it first come out here in the UK, and the press was going mad about it saying it's twisted and depraved (UK press has a habit of that). anyway I watched it and thought it was okay. When I was in the states I bought the 2 tape boxset that had a lot of the deleted scenes and extras and I now think its one of oliver stones best. I love the different styles and i think tom sizemore and tommy lee jones are knock out in it.
Old 07-27-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone else think the mpaa was too harsh on this film as to the cutting. like for instance the shot of a characters head on a stick, was cut, but something way more violent of a character in final destination gets his head cut off by a metal plate in slow motion, and that stays in??
Old 07-27-03, 05:04 PM

I haven't read Tarention's og script... however I went to see this in theatres... and personally I hated it... I felt like I spent two hours swimming in my own feces. Just me... just my opinion... flame on.
Old 07-27-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

found the original Tarantino script for those intersted
http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/killers.shtml
Old 07-27-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for those also interested, according to the back of the warner box its "Rated R For extreme violence and graphic carnage, for shocking images, and for strong language and sexuality
Old 07-30-03, 12:05 PM

I saw it because we were talking about the case of the teenage killers who blamed it on the movie in my 11th grade english class. I pretty much thought it was an empty, flashy movie and didn't really like it. However I could never get some parts out of my head, so I got it from Columbia House and am planning on watching it a few times (esp. with commentary) for my final opinion on it.
Old 07-30-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SideShow
However I could never get some parts out of my head, so I got it from Columbia House and am planning on watching it a few times (esp. with commentary) for my final opinion on it.
The commentary track is amazing. Oliver Stone addresses(sic?)all the issues surrounding the film and goes very in-depth into how he made the movie. A very highy reccomended track.
Old 07-30-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was pretty good. I don't think it was a classic, but I loved the performances, script, and definitely Stone's direction.

It has two things that make a great movie:

Tom Sizemore and Oliver Stone. Everything else is just toppings on the cake.
Old 07-30-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
While the movie gets somewhat tedious with its style, I cannot deny that it is pretty dead on in terms of what it is trying to portray with the media's fascination with violence.
For all practical purposes, Stone hit the nail on the head when he said it was a look at a film done in the MTV style of culture.
Reaction to this movie tends to be pretty polar, people either think it's great or a travesty to filmmaking.

To those who hate it I say: go watch Forrest Gump another time.
Old 07-30-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Never read the script and I was stoked to see it,
HOWEVER it turned out to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. If I sat down and compiled a list of the biggest stinkers, this would definitely be in the top ten. I'm not exaggerating either, I hated it that much.

Honk!
Old 07-30-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I wish Q had directed or at least Scott. I felt Stone was delving into a Lynch-esqe direction, and did not pull it off. I felt several parts of it were really cheesey and had a Twilight Zone special effect quality to it. True Romance is 1000 times better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.