Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HBO's Carnivale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HBO's Carnivale?

Does anyone have any info on the new show coming out on HBO, Carnivale? We saw the previews a couple of times, but haven't heard anything since, and can't find any info on the HBO site....
It looked pretty cool...
Old 07-26-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. -- With elements of mystery, magic and myth, "Carnivale" takes a journey far from the intense, contemporary 21st-Century worlds of "The Sopranos," "Six Feet Under" and "The Wire."

This is HBO moving into a vastly different sort of storytelling terrain.

"Carnivale" -- the serpentine odyssey of a fugitive youth with repressed supernatural talents who is taken in by a carnival traveling around the Dust Bowl of Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico in the 1930s -- pitches its tent for 12 Sunday nights on HBO starting Sept. 14.

A costume drama set in the Great Depression? That's HBO's next big thing?

"For HBO, you've got to have something that's out of the ordinary, something that's worth paying for," says Chris Albrecht, chairman and CEO of HBO, who Thursday was hyping the show for a gathering of TV critics.

HBO hasn't become television's signature network for consistently adventurous, high-quality original programming by playing it safe.

The pay cable heavyweight has earned widespread critical acclaim, numerous Emmy awards and the cranky admiration of its competitors by brilliantly flouting conventional TV wisdom.

"What we try to do is look for somebody who has a strong point of view about something interesting and relatable to the human experience," says Albrecht, who was instrumental in saying yes to the extraordinary creative visions of "The Sopranos" and "Six Feet Under" and such quirky comedy classics as "The Larry Sanders Show" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

Frequently, television executives on the major networks flee from any series that expresses a vivid point of view.

"A lot of times in entertainment, you're afraid a point of view may alienate people," says Albrecht. "The mistake is that you're often left with something that doesn't have any depth or meaning to it."

"Carnivale" fulfills two of Albrecht's primary rules for original programming on HBO. It possesses a strong point of view. And it's way, way "out of the ordinary."

Think "Twin Peaks" meets "Freaks." Carolyn Strauss, executive vice president of HBO original programming, says the show seems "part Steinbeck, part Fellini."

"After the ultra-gritty and contemporary world of 'The Wire,' for our newest drama series, it is incredibly thrilling for us to take a big swing with an epic, magical period piece," she says.

The ambitious "Carnivale" is the surreal creative vision of Daniel Knauf, an affable, ample man with longish, prematurely white hair and a twinkle in his eye. Knauf's most prominent recent TV credit was as a writer on "Wolf Lake," a short-lived werewolf fantasy that lasted only a few episodes on CBS two years ago.

But Knauf sold HBO on his passionate, classic tale of good versus evil in which that mysterious young fugitive with the carnival (Nick Stahl, "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines") is set on an apocalyptic collision course with a strange, charismatic, California preacher (Clancy Brown, "The Shawshank Redemption"), a man of the cloth on a mission from God. Or is it the devil?

In the three hours of "Carnivale" that critics have seen, Knauf and his fellow producers conjure up a visually rich social history of America during the Great Depression merged with a dreamscape morality fable.

There is also a strong theme of religion woven throughout the series. But although carnival worker Ben Hawkins (Stahl) grapples with his otherworldly power to heal people, this is not "Touched by a Carny."

"What we're talking about is hearts and minds and people trying to really gather souls," says Knauf. "And you can't do that without some sort of religious subtext."

Americans have long been familiar with mythologized portrayals of the Old West, from dime novels to John Wayne to "Lonesome Dove." But the myth-making potential of much of the 20th Century has so far been overlooked, says Knauf, adding, "I think the '30s was ripe for this kind of mythological treatment."

Will such Big Themes seem portentous or poetic?

That's for the viewers to decide starting in September.

It may be a tougher sell than instant HBO sensations like "The Sopranos" or "Sex and the City." In that respect, Albrecht is heartened by the evolution of "The Wire," the complex, downbeat Baltimore crime drama that first arrived rather quietly on HBO in the summer of 2002.

"We put 'The Wire' out there and people didn't know what to make of it the first year," says Albrecht. "But it built toward the end of the year. It got great press this second year. And now it's really building.

"Good shows take time. You have to have patience. It's not easy to have this stuff come out of the box and be great from the start."

But with HBO, great expectations are now the rule.

Everything the network touches seems to turn into television gold.

Hey, maybe Chris Albrecht made a deal with the devil. That's certainly a supernatural conspiracy theory his jealous rivals at Showtime, NBC and beyond could embrace.
Link
Old 07-26-03, 01:43 PM

I'll be watching this for Clea Duvall and Nick Stahl. The subject matter doesn't interest me as much as The Wire, or The Sopranos, but it looks to have some real talent behind it.
Old 07-26-03, 06:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
The subject matter is sort of odd, to say the least, but with the talent involved and the fact that it's a new HBO show, I'll be watching for sure.

Can't wait!
Old 07-26-03, 08:42 PM

I watched the first episode of this program some months ago. I was part of a test group that received a copy for review purposes. This show has some potential if they do change some things from the initial test show. The show started off way to slow and if I were watching it on TV I would have changed the station about 15 min. into the show. I 'm glad I was not though because the show did get better. The characters are very strange and the kids powers are not hinted at until the very end of the episode. A lot of the towns the Carnival sets up in are afraid of them and really do not want them to be there. They of course have no money and have to rely on rigging things up to even make them work correctly.
Over all it was not bad. I will watch the first show just to see what they changed.
Old 07-26-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen the pilot too & I thought it was a little too out there. I don't want to spil anything for anyone but this is just plain bizzare, & I like david lynch movies. Since it's HBO I'll probably still Tivo at least the first episode.
Old 07-26-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be there definitely.
Old 07-26-03, 11:36 PM

Thanks for all the info, everyone! It definitely sounds different! I'll give it a shot; at least an ep or two!

Thanks again!
Kramdenfan
Old 08-12-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just an update I saw a trailer for the MAKING OF CARNIVALE on Sunday night. I think it said it would air on AUG 21st maybe 20th
then the series kicks off Sept 14

I can't find anything on HBO about it, but this looks to me to be the only worthwhile new show of the season.

Last edited by Apocrypha; 08-12-03 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It seems HBO is really starting their advertising push for this show. Both of the promos that played during the Sunday night lineup looked REALLY interesting. I'll definitely be there on the 14th.

Brian
Old 08-19-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing is better then stuff set in the 30s.. oh, except stuff set in the 1890s
Old 08-19-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 14th should be a big night with the other new HBO series starting up. I believe "K Street" was the name?
Old 08-19-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Think "Twin Peaks" meets "Freaks." Carolyn Strauss, executive vice president of HBO original programming, says the show seems "part Steinbeck, part Fellini."

If it can deliver on those comparisions, I'm in.
Old 08-19-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't count on it, marty.

The "auteur" in charge of "Carnivale" was responsible for that werewolf abortion "Wolf Lake."

When the initial teases for "Carnivale" were broadcast on HBO, I was intrigued. But the more I see of the finished product, the less and less interested I become.

I'll tune in and hope that this approaches the brilliance of "Twin Peaks." But I have a feeling that we're in for something underwhelming and half-assed - like, say, "Wolf Lake."
Old 08-19-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by grunter
The "auteur" in charge of "Carnivale" was responsible for that werewolf abortion "Wolf Lake."
Grunt, just a note cuz I loves ya.

Dan Knauf - the creator of Carnivale was nothing more than a hired hand writer on Wolf Lake. He hated WL, thought it was stupid, but it was a paycheck.
Old 08-19-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well since I dont have HBO Ill have to wait till a dvd release and one of you poor bastards convices me that ,despite the fact that our tastes might be completley different, I need to own this dvd.
Old 08-20-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw a preview and it looked interesting. I'll give it a shot. Who would have thought ten years ago that movie channels would be putting on TV shows that just blow away most network shows in quality and entertainment?
Old 08-20-03, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Well since I dont have HBO Ill have to wait till a dvd release and one of you poor bastards convices me that ,despite the fact that our tastes might be completley different, I need to own this dvd.
LOL- WE'RE the "poor bastards?!?!" You're the one who doesn't have HBO!!
Old 09-10-03, 06:19 PM

Just a reminder that it starts this Sunday!

http://www.hbo.com/carnivale/

It starts this Sunday on HBO at 9:35 pm EST / 6:35 pm PST

Here's a synopsis of the program:

1934. The Dust Bowl. The last great age of magic. In a time of titanic sandstorms, drought and pestilence - all signs of God's fury and harbingers of the Apocalypse - the final conflict between good and evil is about to begin. The battle will take place in the Heartland of an empire called America. And when it is over, man will forever trade away wonder for reason.

Debuting on HBO this September, CARNIVĀLE follows a traveling carnival as it wends its way across the Dust Bowl, focusing on a mysterious young fugitive with hidden talents who is taken in by the carnival, and on the charismatic, shadowy evangelist who will ultimately cross his path. The 12-episode dramatic series takes place at a time of worldwide unrest, with evil on the rise around the globe and the Great Depression wreaking economic and social havoc here at home.

As they become aware of their abilities, Ben and Brother Justin find themselves wrenched from their lives to realize that the world they thought the knew -- this tenuous, prosaic reality shared by humankind -- is actually a chessboard upon which is played the ancient conflict between Light and Darkness, and they are key players in the battle.

In addition to Nick Stahl ("In the Bedroom," "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines") and Clancy Brown ("The Shawshank Redemption"), cast regulars on CARNIVALE include Michael J. Anderson ("Twin Peaks") as Samson, who runs the show for Management; Adrienne Barbeau ("Escape from New York") as Ruthie, the maternal figure of the carnival, as well as the snake charmer and mother to the strong man; Patrick Bauchau ("The Cell") as Lodz, the mentalist who can see into the future and the past; Debra Christofferson ("Seraglio") as Lila, the carnival's bearded lady; Tim DeKay ("Swordfish") as Jones, Samson's right-hand man and the rousty manager; Clea DuVall (HBO's "The Laramie Project"), as Sofie, the tarot card reader and medium for her comatose mind-reader mother Apollonia, played by Diane Salinger (HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm"); John Fleck ("Star Trek: Enterprise") as Gecko, deformed with a rare condition that makes his skin lizard-like; Amy Madigan ("HBO's Laramie Project"), as Brother Justin's loyal sister Iris; Karyne Steben ("Cirque du Soleil: Saltimbanco") and Sarah Steben ("Cirque du Soleil: Saltimbanco") as Siamese twins Alexandria and Caladonia; Brian Turk ("American Pie 2") as Gabriel, the strong man. The carnival's burlesque family consists of the emcee father Stumpy, played by Toby Huss ("Beyond the City Limits"); mother Rita Sue, played by Cynthia Ettinger ("Thirteen"); and daughters Dora Mae, played by Amada Aday ("Meat Loaf: To Hell and Back"), and Libby, played by Carla Gallo ("Undeclared").

CARNIVĀLE directors include Jack Bender ("The Lone Ranger," HBO's "The Sopranos"), Rodrigo Garcia (HBO's "Six Feet Under" and "The Sopranos"), Tim Hunter ("River's Edge"), Alison MacLean (HBO's "Sex and the City"), Peter Medak ("The Krays"), John Patterson (HBO's "Six Feet Under"), Jeremy Podeswa (HBO's "Six Feet Under" and "The Wire") and Scott Winant ("The West Wing").

Writers on the series include Henry Bromell ("Northern Exposure"), Toni Graphia ("Roswell"), Daniel Knauf ("Wolf Lake"), Ronald D. Moore ("Star Trek: The Next Generation"), Dawn Prestwich ("Ally McBeal") and Nicole Yorkin ("Judging Amy"), and William Schmidt ("Prey").

CARNIVALE is created by Daniel Knauf; executive produced by Ronald D. Moore, Daniel Knauf and Howard Klein; co-executive producers, Nicole Yorkin & Dawn Prestwich, Gregg Fienberg and David Knoller; supervising producers, William Schmidt and Dan Hassid; producer, Anthony Santa Croce; consulting producers, Toni Graphia and Steve Oster.

I think I will give it a try. HBO has always put out Grade A series and hopefully this will continue that trend.

Chris
Old 09-10-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

grunter - yes but the best writer, IMHO, that Star Trek ever had is executive producing, writing and is the showrunner for Carnivale and that is Ron Moore. I like the overall premise of the story and the setting, add Ron to this mix and I'm in. I have to at least check it out.
Old 09-12-03, 04:36 PM

Remember, it starts this Sunday!

Chris