Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba sd-p2000 advise/opinions needed...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-24-03, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here's my dilema (kinda long)....

About two weeks ago I purchased an open boxed SD-P2000 from Best Buy for $300.00. Physically, the unit is in pristine shape; in fact, this unit was manufactured in February of this year. It only lacks the remote and the component cable. I've priced both of these online and both together will set me back about $30. Still a pretty sweet deal in my opinion.

The problem is that every now and then when playing a dvd, I'll get a message that says to "check the disc". I know the discs are fine because they'll play on other dvd players and, in several cases, the discs have been brand new. In fact, if I power the unit down and then turn it back on and go to the section of the dvd where the error message occured, it'll usually play fine. I kinda suspect there's dust or something on the laser lens (this is totally a guess on my part). Toshiba recommends letting a service center clean it and avoiding the do-it-yourself cleaners.

This player is a discontinued item and cannot be found at any other Best Buy where I live (in fact, it's not even on Best Buy's web site any longer), otherwise I'd just exchange it for another one. The player still has its standard 90 day manufacturer's warrenty so I could take it to a service center. Problem is, I only have two weeks left to return it to Best Buy for a refund while the service center in my area won't be able to even look at it for another 3 weeks, thus voiding my ability to return it.

What would you do? Keep it and hope it can be serviced properly at no cost to me or just return it ? Am I getting too hung up on the idea that I got this brand of portable for such a great price ? I REALLY love this unit and have been totally spoiled because of its progressive screen. If the verdict is to return it, I'll probably spend the extra $200 and get the SD-P2500. I won't be nearly as happy, deal wise, but I'll probably do it..

So, thoughts/ideas/comments are welcomed..
Old 07-25-03, 02:29 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reviews of the newer Toshiba portables have been very positive (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=295368 just scroll down, the original poster got a 2500 instead of the 1200) so you may want to go that way.

However, if you're really happy with the player you have, you should just get it fixed since it won't cost you any more out of pocket.

Unless money is really an issue though, my recommendation (based on AOD's reviews) would be to go for the 2500.