Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

6 hour gods and generals coming in dec. according to msnbc!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got this from the review forum and thought I would share
MSNBC.....

http://www.msnbc.com/local/whag/M311728.asp

A look at how Gods and Generals DVD sales are going

Natasha Ginsburg

HAGERSTOWN, MD, July 17 - It was the third day of sales for the Gods and Generals DVD and Civil War buffs across the area have been raiding the video stores to get their own copy.

It took producers almost two years to bring Gods and Generals to the big screen, and they are hoping all that hard work will pay off with the sale of these DVD's.

The movie details events leading up to the 1863 Battle of Gettysburg and follows the life of General Stonewall Jackson through the early part of the Civil War. The movie had dismal results at the box office but producers of the movie were counting on soundtrack, book and DVD sales to help cut their losses. And, it looks like since the DVD hit stores on Tuesday, their hopes are becoming reality.

Terry Parrish of Wonder Books and Video in Hagerstown, MD said, "far exceeded our expectations, we got tons of them in, they were gone within two hours. We do have some on order, several copies and we are taking reservations."

Despite the many copies being sold now, many Civil War buffs are not buying the movie, the reason....They are waiting for the 6-hour, un-cut DVD version coming out in December.
I'm surprised its a hit on video and dvd, and it was a pain in the ass to find at ballbuster and hollywood but they only had 5 copies anyway.
Old 07-20-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well according to my brother who has seen this movie (i haven't), even the current one is kinda tedious to sit through. 6 hours!?! sheesh.
Old 07-20-03, 06:12 PM

6 hours.... geez... I have a hard enough time finding 3 1/2 hours to watch FOTR: EE.
Old 07-20-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kevin75
well according to my brother who has seen this movie (i haven't), even the current one is kinda tedious to sit through. 6 hours!?! sheesh.
G&G is not Gettysburg...that is for sure. But I still enjoyed G&G very much....I feel like there was alot missing so I will be looking forward to the un-cut version. Time wise....it is not much different then sitting through Lonesome Dove which is a great movie. People these days are very inpatient even when it comes to video games. They have to get through it quick and move on to the next thing on their mind. The thing with a movie is you cannot cheat to get through it quicker. Unless you fast forward thru certain parts of the movie. Some people find it hard to concentrate on an hour long television show. I had to watch G&G over two nights due to time constraints with work and kids but I would not have had a hard time sitting through the movie. It moved quickly for me but then again....I am a huge history/Civil War nut.
Old 07-20-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by djones6746
G&G is not Gettysburg...that is for sure. But I still enjoyed G&G very much....I feel like there was alot missing so I will be looking forward to the un-cut version.
ditto...and I would pick this up for sure.
Old 07-20-03, 08:21 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
They need to do a re-issue of Gettysburg while they are at it...
Old 07-20-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
there is already two versions out.. anymore and folks will scream Double Bloody murder for the triple dipping...
Old 07-20-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"It was the third day of sales for the Gods and Generals DVD and Civil War buffs across the area have been raiding the video stores to get their own copy."

uh...suuuuuuuurrrrrre....
Old 07-20-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any possibility of Turner combining "Gods and Generals" and "Gettysburg" into one huge DVD release. I know casting continuity would be a problem. But, I wouldn't mind.
Old 07-20-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Tunner has the cash and like any good southern wants to get this sort of stuff out there. You might be surprised on how many Civil War buffs there our out there tarantino. I'm a california kid myself and going to the south, I can tell you there is a large amount of "the south will rise again" stickers out there and they would gladly pick up a copy of these films aswell as go to stone mountain to see the stonewell jackson carving..

either way, people figured that these will be a bigger hit on dvd then it was in theaters for the simple matter of the time it takes to watch it.
Old 07-20-03, 10:55 PM

6 hours........ wow is all I can say.
Old 07-20-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarantino
"It was the third day of sales for the Gods and Generals DVD and Civil War buffs across the area have been raiding the video stores to get their own copy."

Best Buy in King Of Prussia, PA was sold out of them on Thursday. However, the FYE was not...and not surprising.
Old 07-20-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
can you say "OVERKILL!!!!!!!!" sorry but no movie is worth 6 hours.
Old 07-21-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whoa... I might want to give it a shot...
Old 07-21-03, 12:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
well, now I'm ashamed I actually forgot the full title of the movie in script form which I perused through it at Barnes and Noble last week, but it's great sneak peak at the full 6 hour cut of the film (minus the battle action scenes) in written form.
Old 07-21-03, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
I beg to differ.......

Lonesome Dove was awesome and epic in nature!!! I realize it was a made for TV mini-series but that does not really matter.
Old 07-21-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino

I'm in Frederick, MD (down the road from Hagerstown and within 30 min of Antietam, Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry, lots of civil war buffs in the area) and there is not a copy to be found anywhere in town. Best Buy, Circuit City, WalMart, K-Mart, Costco, even Borders and Suncoast are completely sold out.

Well, I've got a good reason to wait for the big director's cut.
Old 07-21-03, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
11 hours for the Ken Burns Civil War series.
6 1/2 hours for The Blue and The Gray
3 hours for Gettysburg
3 hours for Gangs of New York (it's not a war movie, but it's based around the Federal draft in 1863

6 hours is average for a Civil War DVD set.
Old 07-21-03, 07:34 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I am a Civil War buff, and I absolutely LOVED Gettysburg, but Gods & Generals was simply tedious. Too many Important Speeches. So many Important Speeches that the Important Speeches completely overshadowed the plot and action.

I can only hope that Ted wll be able to get Last Full Measure made, and that he and Maxwell do it right.
Old 07-21-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, the way peeps talked to each other in the movie was just a lil bit to much "this is a broadway production" for me. Real people just dont talk that way, not even back then... every sentence was delivered like it was a state of the union address or something. It started out cheesy with the mom seeing off her 2 southern sons... hate to say it, but unless mom was a politicans speech writer, I doubt she'd go on and ON like that.

Gettysburg did have some extended conversation scenes (longstreet talkin to his subordinates usually) but they just seemed a lot less tedious than they did in G&G. I guess its a script problem. I mean, remember the scene in Gettysburg where Armistead is talkin to Longstreet in his tent about "ol winny" and all that? I mean that was a loooong "speech", longstreet doesnt say much of anything during most of it. In spite of that, it didnt feel nearly as cheesy/long/speech-like as the "conversations" in G&G.

I dunno... but I hope it gets better with the 6 hour cut (ya never know!) and the Final Measure better be more Gettysburg like...

j
Old 07-21-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and oh yeah, is anyone else a lil messed up in the head that Steve Lang plays Picket in Gettysburg and Stonewall in G&G? will he be Sherman in the Final Measure?! The guy did a great job as both generals IMO... but I dunno, that nibbled at me all movie with G&G...

i didnt like how Lt Pitzer (bill campbell) in Gettysburg became Gen. Picket in G&G either. Also, even though Longstreets role was a small one in G&G, I think Beranger did a much better job than Boxleitner did playin him...

j
Old 07-21-03, 01:17 PM

I don't see that as an official announcement of any extended version being released. I'm not holding my breath.

Doc
Old 07-21-03, 01:55 PM
Banned

I'm a moron but....which is the sequel, Gods and Generals or Gettysburg? Is the current Gettysburg dvd any good?
Old 07-21-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
Is the current Gettysburg dvd any good?
hope so...I just forked out big bucks for the oop copy!! couldnt wait for a re-release.
Old 07-21-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gettysburg came out in 1993... it was a mini-series on tnt AFAIK, but it made a very good transition to DVD and I enjoyed it a lot. G&G is the prequel (chronologically the 1st episode in a 3 part civil war trilogy) that came out in late 2002 or early 2003 in theaters if I remember right. Its not as good, IMO, as Gettysburg. In spite of some actors being retained, and the same director, I'd recommend Gettysburg even to people that didnt like G&G much at all. They are quite a bit different considering how many of the key players remain the same.

j

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.