Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

28 Days Later Ending - Rip Off! Will you go?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: With The New 28 Days Later Ending being added, will you see the movie again
Yes! I'll go again!
23.08%
No. Will wait for DVD.
53.85%
No. Didnt like the movie first time around.
9.62%
Didn't see it before, Wont see it this time!
13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-03, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it appears not even independent cinema is above ripping off the consumer. By now I am sure you have all heard that Danny Boyle will be adding an alternate ending to the end of 28 days later. This is what he calls a darker, more unsettling ending. He has said that he has actually shot 3 different endings, the third of which is quite weird and will be featured on the future DVD release of the film.

So, basically, I wanna know if youll go to see this movie again with the new ending?

I am sure had Boyle wanted to, this alternate could have been originally tacked onto the end of the credits, but then what reason would he have to sucker you into the theater again.

I liked the movie, thought it started breaking down in the last 3rd, but I personally will wait for the DVD.
Old 07-20-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. That certainly wasn't the reaction I thought this idea would get. I wish more movies did this; a whole new experience every time.

I have the DVD already, so I'm sure I've seen the alternate already.
Old 07-20-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved the film and I've been planning to see the film a 2nd time before it left theaters. By the addition of an alternate ending to the film, I will go see it that 2nd time. I'm sure it'll come to DVD in October, but if worse comes to worse, I'll sneak into it after a showing of Spy Kids 3D.
Old 07-20-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I liked it just the way it was, so I think I can wait for the dvd release to see a different ending.
Old 07-20-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with DonnachaOne, here. I think it is a cool idea. But, seeing as how I don't have the DVD, I'll be taking another trip to see it. I don't think it is any different than Jackson putting a sneak peak to TTT into FOTR, or Pixar putting the "outtakes" into the credits. I don't think Doyle thinks it will boost the box office much (if it all), but perhaps he sees it as a treat to the fans, and maybe a "thank you" for the financial success the film has seen thus far.
Old 07-20-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had planned on seeing it again anyway....so this is
a no-brainer.

Nice little movie.
Old 07-20-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm not seeing it again since I thought that movie was more borring then scary
Old 07-21-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're going again just to see the alternative ending at the end of the credits, it's really not worth it. If you're going because you wanted to see the movie again, then by all means stick around for it. The only difference between the two is:

Spoiler:
Jim is dead and he's been replaced by a chicken, only Hanna and Selena run out to add the O the the Hello message. BFD
Old 07-21-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I can wait .....
Old 07-21-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll wait for the DVD
Old 07-21-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Waiting for the DVD. I was going to buy it anyway, this is just gravy.
Old 07-21-03, 01:36 PM

I had heard that the alternate ending is that the movie just ends a couple minutes earlyer then the one in theatres now,in essence it just cuts the final couple minutes out of the movie,is this true or is it actually going to be a diffrent ending alltogether?
Old 07-21-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
Actually, the ending is just Jim and the gang pulling a zombie mask off Old Mr. Romero, who was trying to scare everybody out of England so that he could make a killing (har har) in the zombie-tourist attraction, a market that is wide open for exploitation. He growls and says that he could've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids.

K

Last edited by Cornelius1047; 07-21-03 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-21-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Waitng for the DVD.
Old 07-21-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

are the alternate endings on the Region 2 DVD? I've got one coming in the mail.
Old 07-21-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still wondering how this is a "rip off". Who is being ripped off?
Old 07-21-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cactusoly
are the alternate endings on the Region 2 DVD? I've got one coming in the mail.
I think so. The IMDB had both alternate endings listed on the R2 DVD as a special feature.
Old 07-22-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I only remember one filmed alternate ending. the second alternate ending was in story boards only with the director or someone reading the script for it.

I actually preferred the original ending over either one.
Old 07-23-03, 11:31 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by NEUMANN
I had heard that the alternate ending is that the movie just ends a couple minutes earlyer then the one in theatres now,in essence it just cuts the final couple minutes out of the movie,is this true or is it actually going to be a diffrent ending alltogether?

I haven't seen this movie yet..but from what i understood there was the original ending and then after that they show you the new one. Is this info. wrong? IMHO I would be pissed if I went to the movie and didn't see the same ending that millions before me got to see.
Old 07-23-03, 02:26 PM
Banned

Actually...i'm going to see it because i haven't seen it yet.

Now, this is getting me to go.

FWIW, i think THAT should be an option. Haven't seen it but WILL go now.
Old 07-23-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow
If you're going again just to see the alternative ending at the end of the credits, it's really not worth it. If you're going because you wanted to see the movie again, then by all means stick around for it. The only difference between the two is:

Spoiler:
Jim is dead and he's been replaced by a chicken, only Hanna and Selena run out to add the O the the Hello message. BFD
Correct. There is only ONE alternate ending on the R2 DVD and frankly it's not worth seeing the film again in theaters just for that. If there is a 3rd ending, it's not on that DVD.
Old 07-23-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are actually 2 more 'optional' endings on the DVD that Boyle points out, but yeah, the only real alternate ending is the one mentioned above. The other 2 Boyle almost ended with are:

Spoiler:

1. The car ramming the gates and everyone flying forward when they escape the manor house. (Found during the actual movie.)

2. On the deleted scenes of the DVD, I think it's called 'Hospital Dream.' That was another ending point Boyle had contemplated. For those interested, it's right after they escape from the manor house. They go to the hospital (quick cut scenes from it were shown in the movie) where Selena tries unsuccessfully to save Jim's life while Jim has some odd (lame) dream about the day he was hit on his bike and then he dies. Selena and Hannah both mourn for a few seconds, then Hannah grabs Jim's pistol from his cold dead hands and both of them walk out of the hospital down a dim corridor as it fades to black.

Thankfully Boyle decided to put a better ending on the movie.
Old 07-26-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by eXcentris
Correct. There is only ONE alternate ending on the R2 DVD and frankly it's not worth seeing the film again in theaters just for that. If there is a 3rd ending, it's not on that DVD.
actually they did have an unfilmed alternative ending. You can see the storyboards with the director reading dialogue. basically the whole soldier part is gone and they stay in the base and find a person in the base. not sure if it would have been better or not.

It would have depended on the execution of it. It was a lot darker.
Old 07-26-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't seen it yet so we're going tonight. The alternate ending just adds to the fun.
Old 07-28-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Please don't beat me, but is the new ending after the credits or as I have perceived the commercials, a new ending replacing the original? I have not seen this yet and if they are replacing I will wait on the DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.