Reload this Page >

Xbox live games (just for live play?)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-19-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a newbie question, one I'm not sure about. I purchased an Xbox and love it, but I had/have no interest in online gaming. I couldn't even tell you where the port is on my Xbox because I haven't looked.

When I buy games on Ebay and it says Xbox Live does that mean that the game has the capability for online play or are some games ONLY for online play?
Old 07-19-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
There are no games out there that are Live-only. Everything has some basic off-line version of the game available -- some more-so than others.

What are you looking at?

Some games have downloadable content, but aren't played online at all:
Splinter Cell, KOTOR, etc.

Most other games have good (sometimes really good) single player features, but are more fun (that is to say - a longer "shelf life" or more variety) online or linked with other people:
MechAssault, MotoGP, Unreal Championship, etc.

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 07-19-03 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-19-03, 09:17 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Phantasy Star Online requires a LIVE account number entered to play it off line.

Kinda dumb huh?
Old 07-19-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by WOWZY
If I'm not mistaken, Phantasy Star Online requires a LIVE account number entered to play it off line.

Kinda dumb huh?
dang you're right. Missed that one.
Old 07-20-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks... yeah, Mechassault is the one game I keep seeing "live" next to the title. I know you can play this offline, but I wasn't sure if there are other games like Phantasy Star that you can't.
I've heard Mechassault is really at it's best online, but I'm sure it's still fun alone or in multiplayer mode.
Old 07-20-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Originally posted by atlantamoi
I've heard Mechassault is really at it's best online, but I'm sure it's still fun alone or in multiplayer mode.
The single player mode is a blast at first, but my interest waned in the later levels, particularly those with a time limit. Although seemingly everyone else adores its multiplayer/Live capabilities, I never really found that aspect all that compelling.

Why are you so down on online gaming, out of curiosity?
Old 07-20-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I'm not down on it at all. I've never tried it. I don't have broadband (strike one), I won't pay $50 a year for Microsoft's service (strike two), I like kicking my wife's butt one on one (strike 3) and I like playing through games on easier modes (already back in the dugout).

I think online gaming sounds like a blast, but I just never gave it a shot.
Old 07-20-03, 06:18 PM

I'm the totally opposite atl. I played my xbox for an entire year while xbox live was out, not knowing what I was missing out on. Now that i've had it for a few months, I can't stop playing online.

I can't see myself playing against the computer anymore during one player games. As soon as I turn on the system, I need to connect to live. That damn Wolfenstein and Fever have me hooked. I can't stop playing online. Its ruining my life.
Old 07-20-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And some LIVE! games have downloadable content which may or may not exist in the future.

Research b4 you buy
Old 07-20-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RoQuEr
Research b4 you buy
Are you talking about each game I buy in the future? Good advice. Or do you mean the whole Xbox system in the sense that I didn't know what I was getting into? (did plenty of research)

One thing about online play that I'm curious about is the skill level. Seems like if you jump in a game as a newbie there will be people who basically live their life in that game and will be able to putt your butt in a shredder. True?
Old 07-20-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
True?
Yes, but a lot of the time, I'm having so much fun that it doesn't really matter. On "Unreal Championship", for instance, I'm always the worst player in the game. If I manage to kill someone, it's a fluke, and my presence there seems to just be an excuse to rack up kills for everyone else. As lousy as I am in comparison to everyone else, it's still just a ridiculous amount of fun. "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" is great on those off-moments when I can actually find someone else playing. "MechAssault" never really appealed to me over Live, though I haven't spent a lot of time with it online. Somewhat terrifyingly, I've yet to play "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" online, so I'm not sure what it's like over Live. I started playing "Midtown Madness 3" for the first time this evening, and if my right thumb/forefinger weren't sore from several hours of careening through the single player mode, I'd be on Live right now.
Old 07-21-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you talking about each game I buy in the future? Good advice. Or do you mean the whole Xbox system in the sense that I didn't know what I was getting into? (did plenty of research)

One thing about online play that I'm curious about is the skill level. Seems like if you jump in a game as a newbie there will be people who basically live their life in that game and will be able to putt your butt in a shredder. True?
I'm just saying don't just buy it because it says live on it. Many games say live, but have no live features, yet.