Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman short film... anyone else heard of this?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-19-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Here's the original article where I learned about it
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15693

And another article about it
http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin...8565023,29830,

This looks really interesting. Too bad I'm on the wrong coast for the Comic-Con.
Old 07-19-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like everyone that's seen it is raving about it.

Here are the links if the images aren't working.

Pic 1

Pic 2
Old 07-19-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Wow! That Batman looks really good.
Old 07-19-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I agree. Some of the big names in comics are saying this is the best Batman has ever looked on film. I've got my fingers crossed that the creators will put it online soon.
Old 07-19-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Though I'd prefer the gray were darker, that's the best Batman has ever looked as a live action character. I too hope this film soon appears online.
Old 07-19-03, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15693

Check out the joker!!

I've never been so excited about movie news, I wish this could be on dvd or the net, maybe Warner Brothers will pose legal issues, as they have film rights, but this is soooooooooo cool!!!
Old 07-19-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
so.. if anyone finds this online... you know.. give me a aim or something.
Old 07-19-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't know what to think of this. the joker pics over at AICN upon first glance were kinda weird looking but then i thought that would fit the joker really great. the batman costume, however, looks a little bit lacking. while i do like the 'dark knight' kinda feel, it just looks a little too homemade to me.
Old 07-19-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually like the homemade look since that's pretty much how Batman would/should look if the character were flesh and blood.

I understand wearing armor plating on the chest but I was always bothered by Batman's costume in the Burton/Schumacher films. It just made no sense to me for a man who had trained his body to it's peak and learned numerous martial arts styles to wear a suit that restricted his movement so much.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-19-03 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by RocShemp
I actually like the homemade look since that's pretty much how Batman would/should look if the character were flesh and blood.

I understand wearing armor plating on the chest but I was always bothered by Batman's costume in the Burton/Schumacher films. It just made no sense tome for a man who had trained his body to it's peak and learned numerousmartialarts styles to wear a suit that restricted his movement so much.

Or if he was just starting out the costume would look like that. The first I thought when I saw the above pic was Batman Year One.

It's my theory that Burton/Shumacher made the costumes like that because the actors were -NEVER- a physical match for Bats. They had to 'sculpt out' fake muscles. The actor in the pic above is great physical match for Bats.

Check this out...

Old 07-19-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too true. But in turn it gave Batman a rather hokey look. To be honest, all you had to do was trip him and he'd be hard pressed to get up wearing suit like the ones he had in the Burton/Schumacher films.

Yes, the man in this short film is indeed the closest a live action counterpart has come to what Batman should look like, as the picture you provided clearly illustrates, Giantrobo.

I'm also glad they made the belt black as a yellow belt stands out so much anyone fighting him would be tempted to grab it all the time. I also prefer the plain bat emblem over the Kirby Oval (despite how it's been explained away in several Batman comics).

I remember that in Dennis O'Neil's novelization of Batman Knightfall the author explained how Batman had several different types of costumes of different material and textures that he would alternate depending on the season and situation he found himself in.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-19-03 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Personally, i think he looks pretty dorky in the pictures. Yes, that's how Batman would look if his costume was translated straight from the comics. But that doesn't mean its a good thing. I get no sense of a "Dark Knight" in those pictures. In fact, it looks like a 30 dollar halloween costume. I think the rubber suits definatly made Batman more imposing in the movies. Anyway, this just reinforces the joke in X-Men about wearing spandax. Without the abnormal physiques drawn in comic books, most heros look goofy
Old 07-19-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seriously, what's with superheroes wearing their underwear on the outside of their pants? Is this just easier to draw or something?
Old 07-19-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
To give the impression that they are wearing underwear, otherwise the impression is that they are naked (except for the color)
Old 07-19-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That Ain't It Cool News link was just updated with this new bit of info:
I just minutes ago saw this film (twice) and the accompaning "Making Of" on DVD. Its a 2 disc very limited edition set. Sorry I didn't take notes on the people involved, but they are all pros (tired of Batman being done WRONG), the director use to work for Stan Winston, the sculptor is a major player too.
Sistersatan, Harry's little sister, scored the DVD set out of the blue directly from the director with his permission to use it in her shop, sooooo at some point soon it will end up on the shelves of her little DVD & VHS rental shop PEDAZO CHUNK here in Austin.
It is outstanding, atmospheric, noirish, heavy duty Bat-Action like you've NEVER seen, a crazy, demented, sick Joker right out of THE KILLING JOKE, lots of other bad-guy creatures you can only dream of too!
Its seems the director was in Austin awhile back working on another film and got in the habit of going to PEDAZO CHUNK, fell in love with the mom & pop shop, soooo he decided to send them one of the few copies of his finished flick to add to their store's esoteric collection. BOY AM I GLAD HE DID!!! I am a huge BATMAN fan and have been for over 50 years. I have never been satisfied completely with the Warner's visions. This IS my fave... a living breathing REAL Neal Adams creature of the night. SEE IT!!!
Read this and weep Harry... you're seeing HELLBOY realized over in Prague, but I have finally seen MY vision of the BATMAN kick major ass!
Hopefully they'll release more copies of this DVD to the public (e-tailers maybe?).
Old 07-19-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh and a poster over at Ain't It Cool News offered this link: http://pub76.ezboard.com/fplbbmember...cID=1034.topic

Forgot to mention that there are some really good quality pictures of the short in the last page of that thread in the link.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-19-03 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A summary from the site mentioned above:

In a nutshell; Sandy Collora has filmed a Batman short and premiered it at the San Diego Comic Con. We're hoping that DC (AOL Time Warner) will stand up and take notice on how great a look he's captured and hire him to be the director that resurrects a COOL Batman! As far as I'm concerned, he's captured a look and feel that screams to get a full movie treatment and decent budget. Now I doubt they will care what I think, but Alex Ross and Kevin Smith thought it was the BEST Batman ever!!!
The short was supposed to show at the San Diego ComicCon today. Did anyone catch it? According to the director, he has a meeting with WB today or tomorrow to show them the film.
Old 07-19-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it looks pretty good. Moody, which is what I like, but I agree with the posters above about the costume. The Batman movies regarding the costume were not to make you THINK it restricted him.

I mean, honestly, if you want to become a vigilante helping your city, are you really going to wear NO armor? I can see if you are a real Superhero, say like Spiderman or an X-Man, but when you are just a regular man, a shot to the chest by some criminal you are chasing and you are dead without the body armor from the Burton movies.
Old 07-19-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PacMan2006,

Batman in the comics DOES wear body armour but only on the chest (where his emblem is). It's the only reasonable place to put armour ifyourgoing to do the things he does. Anywhere else is too restrictive to his movement.
Old 07-19-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Calculon
Seriously, what's with superheroes wearing their underwear on the outside of their pants? Is this just easier to draw or something?
I know what you mean man.

They wear "panties" and "buccaneer boots"(Marvel Heroes) because the creators were often thinking of Pirates and Circus outfits when they created them. I read an article where an comic artist, I forget who, was talking about this very issue. They DID get rid of the panties with Batman's all black costume inspired by the movies.
Don't get me wrong. I like the above Batman because of the man under it. He's muscular and fits the role. I still think some of the "rubber Batsuits" from the movie rocked.
Old 07-19-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by RocShemp
PacMan2006,

Batman in the comics DOES wear body armour but only on the chest (where his emblem is). It's the only reasonable place to put armour ifyourgoing to do the things he does. Anywhere else is too restrictive to his movement.
the rest of the suit is kevlar and the bet emblem on the chest is to draw enemy fire towards the body armour underneath.
Old 07-19-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh really? I thought they were still sticking to the whole armour plating under the emblem version of the Batsuit in the comics. Well kevlar, if thin enough,can be flexible. But it sure wouldn't be like the film versions. Oh what the hell! Bruce is a millionaire genius, I'm suresome how he discovered how to (and could affordto) make the ultimate (practical) armoured suit that would still afford him the necessarry flexibility to fight crime. I stand corrected.
Old 07-20-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If it's on a dvd, it should take long to run it's course as a divx file online.
Old 07-20-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's hoping since the director said the DVDs were produced for promotional purposes only.

Maybe if his meeting at WB goes well, the film and the making of might show up as a special feature on the next Batman feature length movie's DVD release date (if they even make another feature length movie)?

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-20-03 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-20-03, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow!

Batman is cool again

yes, it's cheesy in adam-west-kind of way... but, this is cool

so, how long was the movie again?

Last edited by BlackBeauty92; 07-20-03 at 04:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.