Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

dumbest thing on tv? (regular tv)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dumbest thing on tv? (regular tv)

Either the whole it was a dream thing on dallas or kim getting stuck in a tiger trap in 24
Old 07-18-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was a cougar trap.

Who's dumb now?

Old 07-18-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: dumbest thing on tv? (regular tv)

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Either the whole it was a dream thing on dallas or kim getting stuck in a tiger trap in 24
Or untagged spoilers.
Old 07-18-03, 03:13 PM
Banned

Re: Re: dumbest thing on tv? (regular tv)

Originally posted by Morf
Or untagged spoilers.
Old 07-18-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Pitts
Old 07-18-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Laugh tracks, or WB.
Old 07-18-03, 04:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Or untagged spoilers.
100% agree.... I hope that wasn't a major plot point for 24.
Old 07-18-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: dumbest thing on tv? (regular tv)

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I doubt there are many tigers in the hills above LA but that was a dumb moment.
Excluding FOX reality shows like Dog beauty pagents or man v. beast challenges, I would have to say wraslin'. There have been some horrid skits on WWE.
HHH dressed as Kane having/pretending to have sex with a corpse (mannequin )
Sexual Chocolate Marc Henry and (1 million years old) Mae Young's pregnancy angle.
WWE is targeting 15 yo horny boys. When you have to suspend logic and any semblance of reality, you can get some very dumb angles/storylines.

Last edited by chowderhead; 07-18-03 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 06:51 PM
mwj

How about when a character goes for three seasons lusting after one person. Finds out it will not be happening between them. Falls in love with another character. Then in the fourth season suddenly decides she's a lesbian. This story arc makes Kim's on 24 look positively lucid.
Old 07-18-03, 06:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Whoops...so much for the big plot twist in Season 2 of 24 for those who were waiting for the DVD.
Old 07-18-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Have you tuned in to any reality programming lately?
Old 07-18-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mwj
How about when a character goes for three seasons lusting after one person. Finds out it will not be happening between them. Falls in love with another character. Then in the fourth season suddenly decides she's a lesbian. This story arc makes Kim's on 24 look positively lucid.
That's even better!! Hot lesbian witches! Think about it! It's ****ing genius!
-Charlie Sheen (as himself) in Being John Malkovich

As for my pick it'd have to be the pilot episode of Boston Public when a teacher
Spoiler:
fires a gun in a room full of students!!!
and doesn't get fired because according to the Principal "He's the best teacher we've got."

I never could watch that show after that- even bringing in Jeri Ryan as a cast member didn't help.
Old 07-18-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by mwj
Not another one of you people.

Yeah, we know that a teenager falling in and out of love with people and questioning their sexual identity is totally unrealistic. That would just, like, never happen in real life.

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-18-03 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 09:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
Yeah, we know that a teenager falling in and out of love with people and questioning their sexual identity is totally unrealistic. That would just, like, never happen in real life.
I thought he was talking about "Ellen."
Old 07-19-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't really think that was a real big plot point.
Old 07-19-03, 06:29 PM
mwj

Except your description is not even close to what happened on the show. She nevers questions her sexual identity, with one exception, which made little sense except as a humorous aside. The problem isn't she was gay. It was that after four seasons she was suddenly a lesbian on a show which usually made the characters earn their growth.
Old 07-19-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mwj
Except your description is not even close to what happened on the show. She nevers questions her sexual identity, with one exception, which made little sense except as a humorous aside. The problem isn't she was gay. It was that after four seasons she was suddenly a lesbian on a show which usually made the characters earn their growth.
I think you must have missed some episodes over the course of the season.
Old 07-19-03, 06:56 PM
mwj

No I have seen all of seasons 1-4 at least twice because I own them all on DVD and I watched them on the WB and FX. I remember one episode where the character comments about ~"I was skanky and kinda gay." Until season four after the breakup, I remember no other references to these feelings.
Old 07-19-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mwj
No I have seen all of seasons 1-4 at least twice because I own them all on DVD and I watched them on the WB and FX. I remember one episode where the character comments about ~"I was skanky and kinda gay." Until season four after the breakup, I remember no other references to these feelings.
Willow didn't realize her feelings until meeting Tara, and even then it was something that slowly developed over the course of the season until she could finally admit it to herself.

She didn't just flip a switch one day and say, "Hey, I'm gay now!".
Old 07-19-03, 07:39 PM
mwj

She didn't just flip a switch one day and say, "Hey, I'm gay now!".
Actually I think that's a pretty good description of what happened IMO. It nicely encapsulates my main objection and fails to address any sort of "questioning their sexual identity" prior to season four. It's been about three weeks since I watched season four but that whole arc seemed fairly short. I guess we just disagree, but this whole situation seems similar to the way many shows handled this situation. Since I love Buffy, I thought Joss Whedon would handle it better.
Old 07-20-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mwj
Actually I think that's a pretty good description of what happened IMO. It nicely encapsulates my main objection and fails to address any sort of "questioning their sexual identity" prior to season four. It's been about three weeks since I watched season four but that whole arc seemed fairly short.
Tara was introduced at the beginning of Season 4. Willow "came out" 19 episodes later. In TV terms, that is a very long time (22 episodes comprise roughly 'one year' in the Buffyverse). If you in fact did not miss any of those episodes in between, I can only suspect that you failed to pick up on subtext.

Willow didn't turn gay overnight. In fact, she doesn't actually refer to herself as gay until mid-way though Season 5. She just knew that she wanted to be with Tara, whatever that meant.

Beyond that, I could argue this out, but I don't see the point. Feel how you want to feel.
Old 07-20-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's this jibber jabber? Not only was there innuendo and build-up to the Tara thing that could be traced back to Season 3's 'Dopplegangland', college freshmen girls experimenting with (and ultimately defining) their sexuality is about as commonplace as it gets.

• Quoth Josh Z •<HR SIZE=1>Tara was introduced at the beginning of Season 4. Willow "came out" 19 episodes later. In TV terms, that is a very long time (22 episodes comprise roughly 'one year' in the Buffyverse). If you in fact did not miss any of those episodes in between, I can only suspect that you failed to pick up on subtext.<HR SIZE=1>

I could have sworn Tara wasn't introduced until 'Hush', which is a good 10 eps into Season 4. It's only 9 eps later that she openly accepts her feelings toward Tara. I agree, though, that there is plenty of slow build-up to this happening; and you're right that it's not until 'Triangle' -- 11 eps into Season 5 -- that she is officially "gay."

das
Old 07-20-03, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I could have sworn Tara wasn't introduced until 'Hush', which is a good 10 eps into Season 4. It's only 9 eps later that she openly accepts her feelings toward Tara.

Yup. And it's likely their relationship had progressed somewhere beyond friends by 4-16, since Faith realizes what Tara means to Willow (Plus, you know, the "Giant Flaming O" spell.)

I agree, though, that there is plenty of slow build-up to this happening; and you're right that it's not until 'Triangle' -- 11 eps into Season 5 -- that she is officially "gay."
Now the "Hello? Gay now." thing is one of my dumbest TV moments ever. Willow thinks Dracula is sexy at the beginning of the season, and doesn't think this is weird, but by episode 11 is irritated by the idea that she'd ever be interested in icky boy-parts again. I just didn't understand the leap from "Willow loves a woman," to "Willow is no longer sexually attracted to men." not being worth any story-attention.
Old 07-20-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Reality shows. period.
Old 07-21-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
dumbest thing on tv?

Fox News.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.