Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Knights of the Old Republic "Help!" Thread: Warning Spoilers Ahead!!!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Knights of the Old Republic "Help!" Thread: Warning Spoilers Ahead!!!

Old 07-18-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts

Starting this thread so we can openly discuss problems, questions, concerns, etc. on this game. I am new to RPGs so I know I will be coming up with lots of questions. I received help in the other thread but I know I will be back!

Some simple questions for you veterans: Do you use the manual level up or the automatic? Any advantage to either? Do you start spening credits on everything or are you a miser & only buy stuff when you know you need it?

When a weapon as a number beside it (like a 3 next to a Blaster) doesn't that mean it causes more damage? The points system drives me a little nuts but I am really new to RPGs. I tried Morrowind but it was way over my head. I am enjoying KOTOR so far but I still feel like I am not entirely sure what is going on (especially in a battle). Is ther a way to know you can beat someone before you challeng them? Thanks.
Old 07-18-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the number next to the blaster that you are referring to is the amount of that item that you have in your inventory.

I think for now you could do the auto level-ups until you know what you're doing. It shouldn't hurt anything. Doing everything manually gives you more control of how your character develops which is usually better, but it could end up giving you a headache especially if you put your points into something you don't use.

Last edited by karnblack; 07-18-03 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-18-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Has anyone done the "Find Holden" side quest on Taris you get from a wonam in the apt. complex. He's supposed to be hanging out at the Cantina, but i didn't locate im there.
Old 07-18-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you go to the other cantina on the lower level? I haven't fully explored it, but he may be there.
Old 07-18-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone gotten into the sewers yet?

After about 4 hrs of play im a level 5.....

is that like...good and stuff?

im a RPG Newbie so please be gentle..
Old 07-18-03, 11:08 AM

Doh! I guess I should check there too. I'm up at the fancy pants upper level cantina! If I'm looking for a shady character I huessI should look down there.
Old 07-18-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If your in the Cantina, make sure you look at the names of each person, if says a name instead of "taris resident(or something)" its probaly someone you need to talk to..
Old 07-18-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holden is down in the lower city. I paid to have her bounty lifted, but I haven't gone back to tell her.

The sewers have lots of things to kill. Bring medpacs with you.

Tip:
If you're ever hurting for health or low on medpacs, you can warp back to your hideout. Your health will be restored and you can go to the guy just outside your room and buy more medpacs. You can't warp from every place, but if there's no danger around, you usually can. Once you get refilled, just warp back to where you were.
Old 07-18-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what class is everyone using, im using a soldier. Whats everyone using for weapons, I using 2 vidroblades at the moment, i really didn't like using blasters. Im kinda falling toward the darkside, i saved that one old guy from the two hbounty hunters and took his money and took the bounty on dia, lol. I liked fighting in the dueling match thing. i may change to the light, i dunno.

also whats everyones goal, im training to become a jedi guardian. ill prolly to be a consular next time i play

Last edited by Excelesor; 07-18-03 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
How are you guys playing and progressing? - Light or Dark?

I was going for Dark, but it got really old being a dick to everyone:
Old Man: "Can I tell you about this planet?"
Me: "You have chosen death!!!"

so I think I may end up neutral and choose light in the end (I'd rather fight a big bad, dark sided boss at the end, than a good light sided one).
Old 07-18-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Just got it today and have put 15 mins on it. However whenever I fight I lose like half a meter of health and now I'm out of medpacks and self-healing.

Is EVERYthing I'm supposed to do target and then click A on attack? Do I have to be next to the enemy? How do I turn turn-based on?

BTW just realized enemies leave behind medpacks

Last edited by GatorDeb; 07-18-03 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok now this is getting boring. Where the heck is the escape pod?

#$&#* Hidden door. The map is priceless. I'm on the way to the escape pods alone.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 07-18-03 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey GatorDeb! What happened to the guy you woke up with? Didn't he join your party?
Old 07-18-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but as I was getting to the escape pod we encountered a dark sith and he went into the room and closed the door so that I could escape.

I already did the thing at the med center and I'm trying to find the cantina
Old 07-18-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Yeah but as I was getting to the escape pod we encountered a dark sith and he went into the room and closed the door so that I could escape.

I already did the thing at the med center and I'm trying to find the cantina
Oh, ok. That happened to me too.

BTW, how can you play and post at the same time? I didn't even touch my computer last night. The only reason I'm posting is because I'm at work, and I probably won't frequent DVD Talk very much this weekend.

Have fun!
Old 07-18-03, 04:13 PM

She's probably referring to the fact that it doesn't actually show him getting in with her.

Darn...I'm ready to leave work and start dueling for some extra cash!
Old 07-18-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uhm Carth is the only one with me. The one that joined me at the beginning died on the ship
Old 07-18-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ARGH I just lost 20 credits
Old 07-18-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone figure out how to beat the rancor in the sewers yet? There's this odor item thingie that was on a severed arm but the system won't allow me to use it.
Old 07-18-03, 10:42 PM
dgc

Originally posted by rabbit77
Anyone figure out how to beat the rancor in the sewers yet? There's this odor item thingie that was on a severed arm but the system won't allow me to use it.
I couldn't use/equip it either so I did the following:

I ended up going stealth with Mission. Set some mines up behind the Rancor and grenade the hell out of it. Run back to the door way and repeat the grenade attacks until you chew it's health down.
Old 07-19-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by rabbit77
I havent yet..

When i first saw it, i was shocked... then all my experience with shooters came to me and i went 1 on 1 against it with my staff...

Swung once, then it stepped on me, and the rest of my team-mates....

Experience from shooter games, do not help me in this one..
Old 07-19-03, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

there is a REALLY easy way to beat the rancor....

goto the pile of dead bodies... click on them and then hit X to put items in the bodies instead of taking them out... then put in a nifty little grenade (one that does damage) and the odor stuff you got off of the severed arm right outside the door (you did check that didn't you?) the rancor will then in a cutscene eat the body since he smells that stuff and go boom with 1 hit have fun

oh on another note i'm finally a padawan yaaaay

Last edited by glassdragon; 07-19-03 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-19-03, 09:31 AM
dgc

I saw this posted elsewhere and thought some would find it useful. you may be doing this already but I wasn't until 6 hpurs into the game.

Queing Attacks:

"There is an action button, A and a que button, X.
If you press A after you selected an Attack, it does it right away.
If you press A after you selected attack, then want to switch to a med pack it will cancel the current action or wait for the end ofthe round then try t0 use a medpack.

If you use the que button it works different.
Select your attack, Hit X to cue it up. The bar will come up to the right of your bottom inventory bar and a smaill icon will represent what actions you are doing and hwat are coming up.

So you can select power attack, then sniper attack, then regular attack you can see the icons all qued up.

So in a real tough battle you could select, special attack, med kit, attack, grenade
After each combat round it goes onto the next. You can select pause at the end of combat rounds so you get the timing down on when combat rounds end.

Now lets you are in a battle.
You cue up sniper shot, attack, flurry, then a grenade to finish them off.
(you can cue up to 3 things + your thing)
But the enemy gets a critcal hit right after you get off the sniper shot.
This is when you use the A button to "interupt" the que and selection a new action immedialy. (like a medkit)

This really should be mastered on the first planet before you leave, its great in combat in use with auto pause.

So after playing for awhile you will be able to

*pause*switch target*Select 3 power shots in a row*switch character*Select 2 attacks and one critical attack for your scoundrel*switch to jedi*use force power and a stimulant*select special attack*unpause

Then sit back and enjoy!"
Old 07-19-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To get into the sewers,

Spoiler:

After talking to the Beks go to the Sith guard post, present your papers and go to the lower city. Save the villager at the gate and talk to the village leader and elder. Then go out of the gate to find Mission.
Old 07-19-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How do you warp back to where you are when you go back to your apartment to heal? I can warp there and not back.

On another note, save often, the autosave doesnt always autosave so I lost quite a bit of time after I got eaten by the Rancor

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.