Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

"Playtime" Jacques Tati Criterion Collection: Question??

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I just won this dvd, brand-new, still factory sealed, on Ebay last week, and just received it in the mail yesterday. I have a question someone out here my know?

I know there are 2 prints of this dvd out there, because the 1st print had an authoring glitch w/ the special features section, with them being in widescreen, and the picture looks stretched. So they had to make the 2nd print to fix that problem, and in the process put it in it's correct format in fullscreen, for the special features.

I was not aware of this until a friend of mine told me about it, after I won it, and never thought of asking the seller which one he was auctioning off because of it. It seems that the more popular ones being auctioned off on Ebay are the 2nd print. I had received the 1st print of this dvd.

What I would like to know is if this 1st print is of lesser, equal, or more value than the corrected 2nd print? I had previously seen the 1st print being auctioned off on Ebay for a buy it now of $150, whereas the 2nd print doesn't seem to be fetching as much right now. I'm fully aware that these prices do go up & down from time to time though. That was only that one seller I seen doing that price of $150, so i don't know if that seller was just being greedy or what, and trying to cash in on someone not in the know? But it was stated as being a 1st print, whereas others weren't, so i take it, and took it, that this was a 2nd print as well? It didn't dawn on me to think otherwise?

I really can't argue of the price I got this for, which was $78 w/ shipping. This seller has sold about 2 more of these in the recent past, and I e-mailed one of the buyers, and they told me that theirs is a 2nd print from this seller that they won. This is a high-volume seller as well. I don't know if this seller made a mistake and gave me a 1st print instead, not knowing if it's of more value or what? But I'm just curious for my own piece of mind if what I got this 1st print for was a good price or not?

I don't think I'm going to open it anytime soon, what I would like to do is get another copy of some of these oop's to watch for myself, and also a sealed copy to sit on. I just want to know if anyone knows about this dvd, if the 1st print is of more, less, or equal value than the 2nd print?

I figuere this one is more rare than the 2nd, but I don't know if it's preferred, because of the glitch it has? But I figure it's something that a die-hard Criterion Collector would want? I have a friend on the web who has every single Criterion dvd out there, except this 1st print Playtime, and 1st print Seven Samurai. I never told him yet about this one I have though.

I know this was a long post, and I apologize, I tend to be long winded. Maybe being an Italian, from a big Italian family of talkers has something to do with it? lol. Anyway, if anyone has any input they could share about this dvd, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks people.
Old 07-17-03, 10:29 PM

I can't imagine why the 1st printing would be worth more, unless maybe you like switching settings on your DVD player every time you watch that movie. I'm fine with my 2nd printing, thankyouverymuch

In any case, rumors persist that the BFI is going to release all of the Hulot cycle in region two. If they do, then I'd expect prices of the CC to plummet. For the sake of everyone who hasn't seen a Tati movie, I certainly hope that that's exactly what happens.

> I have a friend on the web who has every single Criterion dvd out there, except this 1st print Playtime, and 1st print Seven Samurai. I never told him yet about this one I have though.

Heh - what other possible reason could there be to own it?
Old 07-17-03, 10:52 PM

Believe me, I would have rather gotten the 2nd print. I DO NOT wish to keep playing with my settings on my player. I was just wondering if the price I paid was either decent or too much? If there was anyone I know that would switch with me for a 2nd print, I'd do it? Like a collector of Criterion's, like a few people I know, who also has a few copies of each one. But I don't think this one is too popular? I would imagine only the die-hard Criterion collector's would want this one? I did'nt buy this dvd to sell it, but I'd prefer the 2nd one. It's just that for the price I got this one for, it'd be hard to find another for the same price.

I to wish some other companys, be it Region 1 or 2, pal or ntsc, doesn't really matter to me because I have a multi-region pal to ntsc player, would come out with some of these titles, especially the Criterion ones. I'd love to see these Tati dvd's come out. I'd also love to see Region 1 ntsc's come out of The Killer, Hard Boiled, and especially Salo, so these people that keep constantly hogging all these dvd's and buying them up on Ebay gets stuck with a pile of worthless dvd's, compared to the prices they paid for them. This one guy I know on Ebay, who constantly buys every oop Criterion on there that he can, by putting in those last minute bids, once told me that he has 4 Salo's, 5 Killers, and the last I heard 4 Playtimes. That's the kind of people I wish they'd stick it to. Where people like me, who just want it for the movie itself, and NOT to sit on them, gets left out in the cold.

I'll keep this one for now though.
Old 07-17-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear ya about the eBay poachers.
Nevertheless, if you had the money, wanted the disc for the movie, it plays fine, and is not a bootleg, you got a fine deal.

The only problem I have with the disc is that I don't have it. Found M. Hulot's Holiday right when it went OOP, bought it in a fit of OOP frenzy (and I got it for 10 bucks), and wound up loving the hell out of the movie. Can't wait for those future Tati releases.
Old 07-18-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indeed one of the only possible good things to come out of the discs going OOP was that they gained a wider audience. And what wonderful films... Mon Oncle is my favorite with M. Hulot's Holiday a close second and Playtime a not too distant third. One of the styles of filmmaking that one can truly say, "They don't make 'em like that anymore."