Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Angel Season Five News: New Person to join cast (SPOILERS)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Angel Season Five News: New Person to join cast (SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Angel Season Five News: New Girl to join cast (SPOILERS)

http://forums.fanforum.com/cgi-bin/u...49&t=001463&p=

Apparently Harmony (Mercedes McNab) is set to be a recurring character only, but apparently one that is in many episodes nonetheless. Just hope they don't use her too much.

This is a second try at this thread as the first one didn't give much of a spoiler warning. Sorry for the problems!
Old 07-17-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoy Harmony in very small doses. I would like to see Gwen make a few appearances.

Does anyone know the scoop as to why Cordy is not coming back as a regular? I'm still a bit PO'd about that.
Old 07-17-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
They need to get Stephanie Romanov (Lilah) in there as a regular.
Old 07-17-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lilah as a regular would be cool.
Old 07-17-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to more Gwen. I like that idea.
Old 07-17-03, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by LiquidSky
Does anyone know the scoop as to why Cordy is not coming back as a regular? I'm still a bit PO'd about that.
One of the Angel execs left for a different show (don't remember which one) and Charisma felt he was the only one who was looking out for the Cordelia character. She figured she was going to be slighted on the plot lines, so she decided to find a new job instead of becoming a bit player. I think she's still on good terms with everyone, so I'd be surprised if there weren't some cameos (comas not withstanding.)
Old 07-17-03, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by RandyM
One of the Angel execs left for a different show (don't remember which one) and Charisma felt he was the only one who was looking out for the Cordelia character. She figured she was going to be slighted on the plot lines, so she decided to find a new job instead of becoming a bit player. I think she's still on good terms with everyone, so I'd be surprised if there weren't some cameos (comas not withstanding.)
Where'd you hear this? I've been trying to follow the matter pretty closely, and I've never read this--I've never actually read anything pointing to CC's departure being voluntary. If she did want to leave, it makes me considerably less annoyed by the situation, but I have to wonder why Whedon was so adamant that her story was over.

The exec who left (David Greenwalt, to Jake 2.0) actually stepped down as Exec Producer (to his, AFAIK current position as Consulting Producer) after season 3--he was the guy behind ABC's failed Miracles this season.
Old 07-17-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My understanding is that Charisma was wondering why she wasn't rehired but didn't feel bad as she wanted to spend more time with her new baby.
I hope they didn't get rid of her because they thought she had gained too much weight, that's stupid.
Old 07-17-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I hope they didn't get rid of her because they thought she had gained too much weight, that's stupid.
Pregnant or not, she was still cute IMO
Old 07-17-03, 08:41 PM

I read this the other day, and I'm now pretty curious as to what they have planned for Harmony, now that we know she'll be around for quite a few episodes. Yeah, "Harmony the ditzy blonde evil vampire" is funny and kind of adorable in small doses, but not exactly recurring character material. The joke is pretty much played out anyway.

I personally love Harmony/Mercedes, but the character as she stands now will get annoying quickly. She's not really a believable recurring villain, and Wesley/Gunn/Angel probably aren't too willing to let her live after what she did in "Disharmony". If she lasts for more than a few episodes as a regular soulless vampire, I'll be pretty surprised. Resouling her is probably the best thing to do with her. It'll give her some much-needed depth, and there are some interesting stories to be explored with a resouled Harmony.

There are some spoilers for the season premiere floating around based on the casting sides. Supposedly, there was a line of dialogue saying that Lilah would never return. But, it was later removed, so hopefully that's a sign that we haven't seen the last of Stephanie Romanov on Angel. It sounds pretty good, actually. Can't wait until it airs.
Old 07-17-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
There were "rumors" flying around a few weeks back about a "Lilah-like" character that would be a recurring character on the show, but that it wouldn't be Stephanie Romanov, supposedly explained in the season opener why it wasn't her.

Personally, it makes little sense to me from a story perspective, Lilah add so much because of her history that a new character won't be able to.

Not sure how much (if any) of Gwen we'll see, she'll be busy working on Riddick.
Old 07-17-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A souled Harmony would not be too different from the desouled Harmony.
I would dig another return for Darla just so she could kick Harmony's arse!
Old 07-18-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A souled Harmony would not be too different from the desouled Harmony.
That's what I always liked about the character. She was a cold, heartless beotch before being vamped, so it stands to reason that losing her soul and becoming a bloodsucking fiend wouldn't be too big of a change for her.

Plus, she's so stupid, she forgot to turn pasty white like every other vamp in the Buffyverse.
Old 07-18-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by areacode212
I personally love Harmony/Mercedes, but the character as she stands now will get annoying quickly.
Keep in mind that Cordelia started out as an annoying comic relief character in Buffy, but her character development was brought a long way in the first two seasons of Angel.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that something similar could happen for Harmony.
Old 07-18-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
Keep in mind that Cordelia started out as an annoying comic relief character in Buffy, but her character development was brought a long way in the first two seasons of Angel.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that something similar could happen for Harmony.
Maybe, but a lot of people didn't care for that, especially this past season.
They way I look at it, two things will happen on this show, either A) the show lags in ratings and is cancelled after WB execs decide they made a mistake in keeping a low rated show, or B) it stays for a sixth season, at which point Harmony will most likely become a series regular, and the show goes off the air at the decision of the cast and creators.
Old 07-18-03, 01:40 PM

Buffy will come back for one more year helping Angel
Old 07-18-03, 02:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Spike is going to be on Angel, correct? Didn't Harmony and Spike have a little 'thing'? I havn't seen any episode of Buddy past Season 4, so forgive me if this is incorrect, or has changed.
Old 07-18-03, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
havn't seen any episode of Buddy past Season 4
Old 07-18-03, 06:20 PM
mwj

I would have preferred Lilah to Harmony.
Old 07-18-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I like Harmony. I thought she stole every scene she was in Buffy S4. And I loved her slap-fight with Xander in "The Initiative."

And regarding Charisma, I remember reading in a couple of different places that she wanted to be on a recurring status like ASH in S6-7 of BTVS since she had a baby.

I guess we'll know when S5 airs.
Old 07-18-03, 09:03 PM

The slap fight was so completely silly and ridiculous, yet I was laughing my ass off for the whole thing.

I liked Cordy's character development over the course of her years on Buffy up through the first year or so of Angel, where she started out being the meanest, snarkiest cheerleader in Sunnydale, and ended up being a friendlier, but still perky, girl Friday for Angel. She was still fun, still recognizably Cordy, still a little superficial, but was a changed, more mature person.

They went too far after that, though, and they got rid of everything that we loved about her in the first place.

I would have preferred Lilah to Harmony.
Well, if I had to choose between those two, I'd probably go with Lilah too. Harm seems to be replacing Cordy, though. And between Harmony and Cordelia (the season 3 & 4 versions), I'd pick Harmony in a heartbeat.

Spoiler:
Eve
is the character that looks like she's meant to be the "new Lilah". Again, I'd prefer Lilah herself--it'll be hard to measure up to SR's level of sultriness. But I'll reserve judgment until we actually see this new character in action.

If anyone was interested about Harmony's role in the season premiere:

(slight plot spoilers for 5.01)
Spoiler:

She's apparently a secretary working for W&H, and offers everyone coffee. And she clues Angel onto the fact that he has a helicopter now and doesn't have to be stuck in traffic.

The spoilers I read don't give any backstory as to why she's there in the first place.
Old 07-20-03, 01:45 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Noooooo!!!!

There's lots of Angel info/spoilers here: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15700

But I'm pissed that they say, "The fifth season will lean more toward “stand-alone” episodes." I've absolutely loved the season long storylines the last 2 years. Just about every show on TV is focused on stand-alone episodes; we need more long storylines on TV.
Old 07-20-03, 02:15 PM

But I'm pissed that they say, "The fifth season will lean more toward “stand-alone” episodes." I've absolutely loved the season long storylines the last 2 years. Just about every show on TV is focused on stand-alone episodes; we need more long storylines on TV.
First of all, the WB forced Mutant Enemy to lean more toward stand-alone episodes. They feel it'll help ratings and also improve the show's appeal in syndication(which begins this fall if I'm not mistaken).

That being said, I don't think it'll last. Sure, they'll start out the season with stand-alone episodes to try and grab new viewers, but by midseason they'll have some sort of arc going. I'm guessing it'll be the kind of storyline that's confined to one season though, and not the recent 3 year long saga that finally ended with the death of Jasmine and "reprogramming" of Connor.
Old 07-20-03, 05:20 PM

Gah.

WB Angel Promo poster.

Gee, I have no idea why anyone would ever worry about Spike taking over the show.

I really, really want to like this season. I do. I liked season 4 a lot, even, though it doesn't stand up well over time. But none of this is looking good. I just need to hear a few policy decisions made because the story demands it, but it doesn't look like I'll get what I want.
Old 07-20-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey that poster's kinda cool...50 buck though,

Anyhow, Spike will help sell the show to a few more fans so I'm not worried about the poster. Hopefully they don't thrust him into the forefront, cause he could have the same effect some claim he had on Buffy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.