Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

League or Extraordinary Gentlemen or Hulk for 5 year old ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for a 5 year old boy who loves action movies.. I saw a little of HUlk but there seems to be a lot of talking in the beginning.. but is LEG better... yes it does not need to have any story.. as long as the kid is entertained and not going to the bathroom 10x during the movie my life is easier... advise ?
Old 07-17-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neither are appropriate - did you already see Finding Nemo?
Old 07-17-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I can't speak for LEAGUE, but as for the HULK, your 5 year old will be absolutely BORED by it.

I guarantee it.
Old 07-17-03, 03:46 PM

Agree with neither.

Hulk is slow.

LXG has nice special effects,
but no character depth or continuity.

Finding Nemo a much better choice for that age.
Old 07-17-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think we're helping with the Nemo suggestions. Sure, it's an excellent film, but Andy's not looking for that answer. He may have seen Nemo already, or maybe he (erroneously) thinks he won't enjoy it.

I'd suggest he stays home.
Old 07-17-03, 04:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you haven't seen Finding Nemo you should try that (I know its been suggested). Perhaps even Pirates of the Carribean (although this has quite strong violence). I haven't seen LXG but Hulk is very "talkie" and would bore a 5-year-old to death.
Old 07-17-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Wait until they're on dvd. Movies like that are less scary on a small screen, and there's always the option of fast forwarding the boring parts and just stopping the show if it's too frightening.

tasha
(I have a 5 year old boy too. He didn't like Finding Nemo at all, but I still won't take him to comic book movies in the theaters(though he thinks he'd like to go.)
Old 07-17-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 4 year old sister enjoyed Hulk a lot. She stayed awake through the whole thing (it was the midnight showing on the first day) I think they will enjoy Hulk more than LXG but if you take him to LXG there will be less things availible for you to buy later, where as Hulk has countless toys, glove fist things, cars, cards, and countless other things.
Old 07-17-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

take the kid to see PIRATES... Hulk will be a sedative (or just make them hyper because it's boring) and LXG is incoherent even to adults, so I think a kid would hate it even more... but PIRATES they will eat right up....

MATT
Old 07-17-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Johnny English!
Old 07-17-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As somebody myself who was watching movies like Silent Running and Born Free at the age of 5 and other "slow" movies, I would say kids could like the Hulk, but not the ones going expecting to see a live action version of the cartoon. It's definately for the discriminating minor.
Old 07-17-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How do you people ask these kinds of questions? A movie that is rated PG-13 (or R for that matter) is rated that way for a reason (usually quite a few reasons). There are things in both of those movies and almost any movie I can think of that is rated PG-13 or higher that would be inappropriate for a 5 year old. Try Nemo or Sinbad. Sinbad is an action movie he probably would like.

[rant] I am so tired of going to see movies like Reloaded and T3 and seeing 5 year olds there. Is anything out of bounds for kids anymore? [/rant]
Old 07-17-03, 10:30 PM

Both Hulk and LXG can't compare to the wholesome goodness of Cop And A Half. 5 year olds love Burt Reynolds.
Old 07-18-03, 12:55 AM
Banned

Hulk is a better film artistically but is inappropriate for a 5 year old; he will likely fall asleep. I agree with most people year that Finding Nemo is a better choice. Or maybe even Johnny English or Sinbad.
Old 07-18-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I don't think we're helping with the Nemo suggestions. Sure, it's an excellent film, but Andy's not looking for that answer. He may have seen Nemo already, or maybe he (erroneously) thinks he won't enjoy it.

I'd suggest he stays home.
Could'nt agree more. Films of this ilk are defintely not for the under 12 set.
Old 07-18-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
LXG.. more stuff going on. Unless you want your 5 year old to fall asleep during the Hulks' first hour.
Old 07-18-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

28 Days Later.
Old 07-18-03, 09:56 PM

Hey, if he loves action, why not just take him to BAD BOYS II? I mean, you've already proven by your post that you don't practice parental guidence.
Old 07-18-03, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Yes, please do not take your 5 year old to see movies like these. It's not only inapropriate, but as a moviegoer I'm sure I'm not the only one who this makes uncomfortable.

This is a really telling question- Hollywood just seems to have abandoned the "family" picture. Other than Nemo and Sinbad, I can't think of another. I remember during the summer there used to be plenty of "family" pictures. Now there are just a handfull.

Rent some Disney flicks or find a theater that runs a "movie camp" for the kids. My local AMC Theater has 1 day a week special showings devoted just for kids. They do group activities after the movie as well.
Old 07-18-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Spooky
Hey, if he loves action, why not just take him to BAD BOYS II? I mean, you've already proven by your post that you don't practice parental guidence.
Oh, Please! There is a heck of alot more to parental guidance than just saying don't see it, don't do it. Every child is different. Some can handle a movie like Hulk or Batman, others can't. As long as you talk with your kids about these movies and they understand that it is not real and that they can't do these type of things, then it comes down to the parents decision on whether or not they are ready to see the movie. I grew up watching Aliens, Porkys, Friday the 13th and countless other movies that were "too old" for me. Now I am 28, a principal in a large inner city school district, have a wife and child, and am none the worse for wear. If some parents want to shelter their children feom these tyoes of movies, music, and games, that's fine. Just be prepared for the fact that if you tell them they can't see it, they will want to see it even more, and they probably will by sneaking in or watching it at a friends house. Then who will be there to tell them it is not real?

In defense of andylouie, I think he may have been looking for feedback, not only about which is better, but also more appropriate. And come on, the Hulk just screams kids movie to the general public with all the toy tie ins, cartoons, and comics. I have not seen LXG, but I would not take a 5 year old to see the Hulk, because most would be bored silly. I was. Daddy Day Care might be anouther movie to think about.

Last edited by Bcolon; 07-18-03 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bcolon
If some parents want to shelter their children feom these tyoes of movies, music, and games, that's fine. Just be prepared for the fact that if you tell them they can't see it, they will want to see it even more, and they probably will by sneaking in or watching it at a friends house. Then who will be there to tell them it is not real?
My 5 year olds (twins) don't come running up to me saying they want to see movies like Aliens, Porky's, and Friday the 13th and I doubt ANY kids do. They are more than content with Nemo and Sinbad. If you saw the movies you claim to as a kid, I doubt it was you who initiated it. It is the "parents" choosing to show these movies to their kids - most times it's because they want to see the movie themselves and are too cheap to pay a babysitter.

I saw countless kids under the age of 8 in both T3 and Reloaded. It is the summer and I doubt kids their age are running around the neighborhood talking about how they really want to see these movies but their parents won't let them.

If you are arguing that there is nothing wrong with showing kids the movies you list (Aliens, Porky's, and Friday the 13th ) then not only are we not on the same page, we are not even in the same room. If you're really a school principal, I'm glad it's not in my district.

Last edited by moocher; 07-19-03 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-19-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I mean, you've already proven by your post that you don't practice parental guidence.
Next time you'd do well to not open your mouth. Making a comment like that is stupid. Worry about yourself and your own kids and stop judging other people and their parental skills.

Andy, if you want to choose between those two, I'd say LXG. I think the Hulk is a very good movie, but it's also an adult movie that concentrates a lot on character and story development. The Hulk doesn't appear until 40 minutes in.

Last edited by Terrell; 07-19-03 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-19-03, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Hell, when I was 5 my parents were taking me to see movies like Lady and the Tramp. I'm glad they had enough sense not to take me to see films The Exorcist.

I've worked with plenty of kids too, and I was pretty disgusted when 7yr olds were telling me they just saw T2 in the movies. 9 times out of 10 it would be the parents who'd taken them.

Nobody's saying you have complete control over what your kids see. But at 5yrs old, I think it's a good bet if my kid saw a movie like T3 or Reloaded or even something I'd find innapropriate on video at a friends house, I'd let the supervising adult have it. There's no chance in hell my 5yr old will be so completely unsupervised for 2hrs that he'd be able to put whatever he wanted to on TV.
Old 07-19-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by moocher
My 5 year olds (twins) don't come running up to me saying they want to see movies like Aliens, Porky's, and Friday the 13th and I doubt ANY kids do. They are more than content with Nemo and Sinbad. If you saw the movies you claim to as a kid, I doubt it was you who initiated it. It is the "parents" choosing to show these movies to their kids - most times it's because they want to see the movie themselves and are too cheap to pay a babysitter.

I saw countless kids under the age of 8 in both T3 and Reloaded. It is the summer and I doubt kids their age are running around the neighborhood talking about how they really want to see these movies but their parents won't let them.

If you are arguing that there is nothing wrong with showing kids the movies you list (Aliens, Porky's, and Friday the 13th ) then not only are we not on the same page, we are not even in the same room.
Now I didn't say showing Aliens, Friday the 13th, and Porkys was appropriate for a five year old. They are not. I saw them in the 10 to 12 year old range. And of those, Porkys is probably the only one I shouldn't have seen because of the nudity. But once again, if you think your twins are not going to want to see movies like The Matrix, T3, or the lates Aliens sequel when the get around that age you are fooling yourself. In this case the discussion revolving around a five year old was over Hulk and LXG, two movies completely different from a Friday the 13th.

"If you're really a school principal, I'm glad it's not in my district."

Too bad. Your kids would be missing out on a great, fun learning experience if they were in my building.
Old 07-19-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, you said you "grew up" with them in a thread about 5 year olds. Even at 10, those are still not appropriate IMO.

It's funny that you say that the only one you shouldn't have seen at 10 was Porky's due to the nudity. Of the three, I would have picked Friday the 13th for the many gruesome murders. If I would have picked Porky's it would have been due to the poor messages on teen sexual behavior rather than the nudity.

I can see me heading out to Friday the 13th with my 10 year old. "OK son, remember when that psycho sticks the knife through that boy's throat and the blood gushes out, that's all just ketchup and when the deranged lady that looks like someone's mom chops that girl's head off just remember that we are not supposed to do that kind of thing."

Yes, I'm sure my kids are missing out on a great learning experience.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.