Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Farscape may return?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Farscape may return?

Apparantly Bowder just got added to the FS panel at the SD con, which means that the entire cast will be there - it seems like they are going to make an announcement on a FS mini-series to wrap things up:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/428/428875p1.html

July 15, 2003 - Farscape, the ratings-challenged Sci-Fi Channel series that prompted an international rescue campaign, may be getting a chance to go out on its own terms. A reliable source told IGN FilmForce this week that a 4-hour mini-series was currently being prepped for production by Henson. Set to lens in Australia, the home to the original series, the mini would be a continuation of the final episode and a possible wrap-up that would tie all of the dangling plot threads together.

This comes as good news to fans who were dismayed by the "To Be Continued..." tag at the end of the final episode in the series, "Bad Timing." With most of the cast set to appear at San Diego Comic-Con this weekend, there is a possibility that Henson Company could make an announcement during the convention. Series star Ben Browder's appearance at the Comic-Con's Farscape panel has added to the speculation that an announcement may be forthcoming.

Predictably, Henson Co. is being cagey with information about a potential Farscape mini. After asking the company for a response for this story, they took four hours to come up with, "Though there are currently no plans for any immediate Farscape projects to be produced, the 'To Be Continued' ending in the final episode signifies The Jim Henson Company's commitment to the property and our belief that there are future opportunities for it to grow. We truly appreciate all of the continued fan support and commitment to Farscape." Which is a really fancy way of saying "no comment."

If Henson is getting ready to produce a Farscape mini-series, the big question could be, "Who are they producing this for?" A representative for the Sci-Fi Channel confirmed to IGN FilmForce that the network knows nothing about a Farscape mini-series. If Sci-Fi is not involved with a new Farscape mini, then where would it run? Most networks aren't interested in running a mini-series based on a series they didn't run and Sci-Fi's contract has quite a bit of time left on it, so there are some questions that will need to be answered if or when an announcement is made. One thing is certain, though: if there is a possibility for any kind of continuation of Farscape, it will be welcome news to the fans that have tried to keep the series alive through television ads, e-mail & letter campaigns and outright threats.
Old 07-16-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...
Old 07-16-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it went straight to DVD, I'd be first in line to buy a copy.

Hint, hint.
Old 07-16-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grunter
If it went straight to DVD, I'd be first in line to buy a copy.

Hint, hint.
ditto
Old 07-16-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You neglect to note the author. Forgive my skepticism (and what I'm about to say), but one must consider the source. When the source of an article has been known to repeatedly and maliciously distort facts to get hits, in addition to outwardly taunting the fans of a show he/she claims to be reporting on, it becomes very difficult to take seriously anything he/she says. Now I'm not saying the author of this particular article is a known Internet troll and a repeated spreader of misinformation who has proven to be completely unreliable in the past. I'm also not saying that this smells suspiciously like a cruel attempt for a certain author to take one last shot at a group he/she truly despises. I would just encourage people (in general) to consider the source of any article.

das
Old 07-16-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good news. Finally will be able to see how the story of the series end.
Old 07-17-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
What if this is a sorta of pilot episode for shopping the series to a new outlet? One can dream.
Old 07-17-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait a sec. The entire article is based on the one fact that Ben Browder has been added to the list of a SciFi Convention. How do you spell speculation?

D
Old 07-17-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, this could be great news... or it could be horsesh|t. There's really no way to know at this point.

Savefarscape's comments: http://www.watchfarscape.com/news/ar...php?newsid=373
Old 07-17-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I did put a question-mark in the title of the post - and I did give a link to the article. Say what you will about IGN, but their film site is pretty solid as far as infor and they've gone on record as having nothing but love for Farscape, from being one of the only sites out there to review their dvds, and the actual broadcasted show. Every other Farscape "rumor" they have reported on over the years have been solid and they are one of the few major sites out there that tires to spread the word about this great show.
Old 07-17-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have any particular problem with IGN, but one should read the author's other articles on this subject to see just how responsible a journalist he really is. Hey, no one would be happier than me to see the show return -- I've dedicated many hundreds of hours trying to save it -- but I'll wait to hear it from someone who doesn't use the last words of his article to make yet another an unsubstantiated slam at the fans.

das

P.S. slop, in no way should you interpret criticism of the author of this article to translate into criticism of you for posting it.
Old 07-17-03, 10:51 AM

If there is even a glimmer of truth that Farscape may come back in some form that is enough to brighten my day.
Old 07-17-03, 12:08 PM

Even if this is only a remote possibility it's brightened my day. Although I'm such a Browder fan, even his recent cameo on C.S.I. Miami made me .
Old 07-17-03, 02:30 PM

he had a cameo on C.S.I. miami????
what episode?
must. watch.

on topic
I would love, love, love for this to happen. I have always been a fan of the show. Even if its just a sliver of hope, its better than none

*keepin fingers crossed*
Old 07-17-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by squidget
he had a cameo on C.S.I. miami????
what episode?
must. watch.
http://www.farscapeworld.com/news/1050938754.shtml
http://www.farscapeworld.com/news/1052255272.shtml
Old 07-17-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
You know, it's been pretty hard performing day-to-day tasks over the last 48 hours...

'cuz i'm afraid to uncross my fingers.

SOMEBODY MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
Old 07-17-03, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the links!

yay!
Old 07-17-03, 06:24 PM

I would like nothing more than for this to be true. If ADV (the company that releases the Farscape DVDs) can afford the fairly doomed live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion, they can certainly afford to pony up some cash and help give Farscape some closure (ADV was looking for financers to help create a Farscape anime series at one point--a live-action miniseries would probably be way better.)
Old 07-18-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, I have a friend that's at the SD con and I gave her my Farscape dvd (the first one from the box set) and she's gonna (try to) get me sigs of the entire Farscapce cast during their panel tomorrow.
Old 07-18-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just an update on this, and a weird one at that ... Lani said "we don't know yet," and when questioned directly about the rumor, Ben said that when he saw the rumor he called Brian Henson on how to respond and was instructed to "say nothing."

The possibilities range from the whole thing being bull***** to a gag order while negotiations are finalized. I hated being right when predicting the premature cancellation of the show, so I hope to God I'm wrong in thinking this is a hoax. The lack of denial is promising, but knowing the industry, there could be many reasons for that independent of the rumor. My hopes remain high ...

In any case, it seems unlikely that there's a big announcement planned for this particular Con.

das
Old 07-19-03, 11:05 AM

It was a very entertaining panel. Though there wasn't anything definite announced, the overall feeling I got is that things are very close to being finalized. The cast repeatedly said things like "When we return" etc. And, when asked, no one mentioned any other commitments which would prevent them from returning in the short term. (Ben's doing a documentary for the History Channel right now, but that probably won't take up too much time.) And I really liked it when the cast stood and applauded the fans, saying that all of us were responsible for keeping Farscape alive.

Ben seemed really blown away to be there and at the size of the crowd. A great moment was when he called Claudia Black on his cell phone and had the audience repeatedly cheer a message to her on her voice mail.

All in all, they seemed to be great group of people, truly appreciative of the terrific show they are a part of.
Old 07-19-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Skorp •<HR SIZE=1>All in all, they seemed to be great group of people, truly appreciative of the terrific show they are a part of. <HR SIZE=1>

In a lot of ways, they remind me of the cast of Babylon 5, genuinely appreciative of and frequently suprised at the level of devotion the fans have shown. I've had nothing but positive experiences with everyone from the Farscape cast (except Virginia, who's a bit of a looney). It's great that they've gone so out of their way to make it clear how appreciative they have been, moreso than a simple polite thanks.

It sure would be nice if they could all find their way down to Dragon*Con here in a month too.

I just hope if they do get something going that it does justice to the show. When we started this fight, I was pretty hell-bent on a 5th Season or bust, not just a token throwaway telefilm, and I still feel that way. But if the producers and stars are working hard to get something, anything, out there, I don't want to be a jackass and not be appreciative of the effort. The impression I've been given is that it's too expensive to just do a mini-series. The cost of the sets can only really be offset by using them for around 10-15 hours of television. If there is a mini-series in the works, I'm curious how this is being addressed. I hope the answer isn't by cutting corners.

das