Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What's Up Tiger Lily? - anyone find it on shelves?

Community
Search

What's Up Tiger Lily? - anyone find it on shelves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-03, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's Up Tiger Lily?

Anyone see it out today? Went by BB to pick it up along with $9 Bound and couldn't find it anywhere, dunno if it's a case of them getting 3 copies and having them bought or what.
Old 07-16-03, 12:58 AM

Found it at Borders
Old 07-16-03, 05:55 AM

Got it at local Barnes & Noble.
Old 07-16-03, 07:51 AM

Geez. This was a tough one for me to find...

Went to BB and they couldn't find it in their computer. Had three CSRs running around trying to find it for me. Finally, one of them said that there's no way it could be out on DVD because the last he heard there were rights/distribution problems and it probably was a mistake on my part. Obviously not a faithful reader of the DVD talk forums!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6885

On to Plan B: Went to Borders. They couldn't find it anywhere in the store, even though their computer said they had a few copies in stock. They figured that it might still be in boxes in the back waiting to be unpacked - said to try back later in the week.

Let's try Plan C: Went to Suncoast (cringe at the thought of paying moocho $$$) hoping it might at least be on sale. They had it for $20 (I was expecting $25). With the $3 off in-store coupon and the $10 worth of Replay certificates I had with me, it wasn't too bad of a deal - $7 and change.
Old 07-16-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have we confirmed whether this release is censored, as the foreign releases are?
Old 07-16-03, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Have we confirmed whether this release is censored, as the foreign releases are?
I hadn't heard about this specifically. Sorry. What was censored?

I watched it last night. There are 2 versions on the DVD - the "original" and the "alternate." The DVD also has a feature in which you can compare and contrast the specific scenes that were changed - one right after the other (there are probably about 10 of them or so - each clip lasting about 30 seconds).

For example, in the scenes where the woman breaks out of jail and jumps on the hero's car...

In the original version:

Spoiler:
His date, standing outside of the car as it drives off, yells something like "Hey, you've got my vibrator!"

However, in the alternate version:

Spoiler:
She yells something like "Hey, that car's a rental!"

Obviously, the alternate version is a little more cleaned up in terms of language and sexual innuendo.

Also, at the beginning of the film, when the woman is dancing on the table, small red "X"s cover her breasts, and there is a cartoon caption with an arrow stating "Foreign version" or something like that - not really censored as much as part of the joke. Is this what you meant?

Last edited by davejt1; 07-16-03 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-16-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are there any other extras?

Early press releases said it would have a trailer.
Old 07-16-03, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by PatrickMcCart
Early press releases said it would have a trailer.
I'm not positive (I'm at work right now) but I'm pretty sure it had a trailer option on the "Special Features" screen.
Old 07-16-03, 12:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
WHOA! I had NO IDEA this was coming out!!! Now I'll need to hunt for it like the rest of y'all.

Does this include the original Japanese soundtrack as well? (I doubt it, but never hurts to ask)
Old 07-16-03, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
WHOA! I had NO IDEA this was coming out!!! Now I'll need to hunt for it like the rest of y'all.
FYI - To help you in your hunt...

Suncoast and Borders has What's Up, Tiger Lily classified as "Comedy." Best Buy had it classified as "Action" (I guess because the humor is dubbed over an action film).

Even weirder, last night at Best Buy I found "May" classified as "Action." I'm still not sure how they arrived at that one - the CSR I asked about it said that he was told by a manager that it should have been classified as comedy (that would have been my 2nd guess - horror being my first).

Anyway, I've been on a couple of horror movie forums this morning and everyone's having a hard time finding it - especially at BB (even more frustrating when their computer says that they have multiple copies in stock). I'm thinking this might be part of the problem.

Last edited by davejt1; 07-16-03 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 03:27 PM

well I guess when I head back to Best Buy in a few I know where to look lol - I even tried "special interest" and browsed through the scary titles

thanks for the tip davejt1!
Old 07-16-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by davejt1
I hadn't heard about this specifically. Sorry. What was censored?

I watched it last night. There are 2 versions on the DVD - the "original" and the "alternate." The DVD also has a feature in which you can compare and contrast the specific scenes that were changed - one right after the other (there are probably about 10 of them or so - each clip lasting about 30 seconds).

For example, in the scenes where the woman breaks out of jail and jumps on the hero's car...

In the original version:

Spoiler:
His date, standing outside of the car as it drives off, yells something like "Hey, you've got my vibrator!"

However, in the alternate version:

Spoiler:
She yells something like "Hey, that car's a rental!"

Obviously, the alternate version is a little more cleaned up in terms of language and sexual innuendo.

Also, at the beginning of the film, when the woman is dancing on the table, small red "X"s cover her breasts, and there is a cartoon caption with an arrow stating "Foreign version" or something like that - not really censored as much as part of the joke. Is this what you meant?
Yeah, that's pretty much it. The foreign releases (R2 & R4) had the "alternate version" only, without any notice that it was censored. Looks like it's time to upgrade.
Old 07-17-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"'Two Wongs don't make a right'...for that joke, you should die. "
Old 07-17-03, 05:54 AM

"Saracen PIG!......Anglo-Saxon HUN!!!!!"
Old 07-17-03, 07:43 PM

Grrr, still can't find it, went by BB again and then hit Suncoast. Ended up walking out with Jay and Silent Bob figures.
Old 07-17-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I've given up on finding this type of release in stores. I just preorder them now (usually from DDD, so it takes a while, but at least I know it's on the way).
Old 07-19-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Just picked this up at Borders for $11.99... using this weekend's 20% off coupon.