Community
Search

Kudos to Universal and Artisan, Jeers to MGM

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Kudos to Universal and Artisan, and MGM

I know that Universal has been much maligned for the BTTF fiasco, and Artisan for the horrible T2 Extreme case, but they have at least handled the situations reasonably well. Not as good as it could have been handled, but for the most part the problem has been resolved. This is in stark contrast to a problem I'm having with MGM.

Two months ago, I picked up the Rocky box set. When I opened up the set, and checked the discs, I discovered that Rocky IV was missing. The case was there of course, but once I opened it, I discovered that in place of Rocky IV, the manufacturer had put a copy of the movie Roadie inside. I wouldn't have minded this so much if I didn't already own Roadie, but since I did, I wanted this matter resolved.

I tried returning the set to the store I bought it at (Fry's Electronics), and they wouldn't have a thing to do with it. They blamed the manufacturer, and I would have to contact them myself. So it was off to MGM.

I E-mailed, and E-mailed, and E-mailed MGM customer service to no avail. It too 5 E-mails before I finally got a response. They told me to sent the DVD and case to their office in Santa Monica, CA (I live in Anaheim, about 40 miles away), and they would arrange for a replacement to be sent.

I sent back the Rocky IV case, artwork, insert, and Roadie disc on June 18th, the same day I finally returned my BTTF discs for replacements. Here it is now almost a month after sending in both items, and while I have even yet to get a follow up E-mail or anything from MGM in Santa Monica, I have received my BTTF replacement discs as of today. I E-mailed Artisan about my damaged T2 case, and I had that sent to me within 3 days.

And yet, I still wait for my replacement copy of Rocky IV. Say what you want about Universal and Artisan, but they have at least handled my problem. MGM has done nothing but taken my "extra" copy of Roadie, and made me pay for postage to do it.

Last edited by TheKing; 07-26-03 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that is just plain weird how Roadie found its way in the boxset. I hope you can keep us posted on how this turns out.
Old 07-15-03, 01:13 AM
Banned

Back when NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN came out on dvd, I e-mailed them about the replacement for the missing scene.
I was e-mailed a ups label to send them the dvd, which I did.
But even thought the ups label paid for the shipping the store that I dropped it off on charged me $3 handeling.
So I e-mailed what had happened.
After a month I kept e-mailing them and they e-mailed me back.
They said they would send extra stuff.
So I got my replacement dvd, bumber sticker, THIS IS SPINAL TAP dvd, a RONIN t-shirt.
But even though I want to send them my ROCKY 4 dvd for the replacement I don't trust them.
Old 07-15-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Their response time was better back when they were first replacing the Bond discs, atleast e-mail wise.

Never mailed the discs in though.
Old 07-15-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wm lopez, are you saying you got a screwed up Rocky IV as well?

It's nice to know I'm not the only one this happened to!!!

And I definately will keep the board posted if and when I get my replacement. 322 DVD's, and this is the only one I've ever had this problem with.

As to the strangeness, I can see how it would happen. Rocky IV and Roadie are both MGM films. They are also both dual sided DVD's with no label. If both were being packed at the same plant (which is likely), then I can see how the mistake was made. Someone was obviously not looking very closely and took a stack of Roadie discs (both films start with Ro, so they'd be close together, and discs without labels can be hard to read), and there ya go.

It does make ya wonder, are there a bunch of Roadie cases that have Rocky IV inside?

Last edited by TheKing; 07-15-03 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-15-03, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Too bad it wasn't Rocky V that was missing. Then you wouldn't need to bother to send the replacement in.
Old 07-15-03, 06:43 AM
Banned

I'm still trying to get past the bit about Fry's Electronics. Had I bought the DVD there and it was missing or damaged or different, there would be a whole different story going on. I don't take no for an answer...
Old 07-15-03, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you return the Rocky boxset to the store where you bought it and exchange it for another one with the correct Rocky IV?
Old 07-15-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Kudos to Universal and Artisan, Jeers to MGM

That would be the part where he says:

Originally posted by TheKing
I tried returning the set to the store I bought it at (Fry's Electronics), and they wouldn't have a thing to do with it. They blamed the manufacturer, and I would have to contact them myself. So it was off to MGM.
Old 07-15-03, 09:59 AM

you definitely should have fought this at the store level.... manager, district manager, up the chain....
Old 07-15-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's why I like opening things just after I get them at the store.
Old 07-15-03, 10:39 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by The Bus
Too bad it wasn't Rocky V that was missing. Then you wouldn't need to bother to send the replacement in.
How dare you say that! "My ring's outside..."

I think is SUCKS Fry's wouldn't do jack squat for you. Seems like it would have been a lot easier for them to give you a new set/return the old one than it is for you. Nice customer "service."
Old 07-15-03, 11:53 PM

Now, there may be a positive in all this for you....

Rocky IV, in most of the box sets is NOT anamorphic, however, MGM for whatever reason, has now released an Anamorphic Rocky IV without telling anyone ( I guess so people with the box set would not complain?)

Anyway, if you do get the replacment, it will probably be the newer Anamorphic pressing, instead of the horrible original.

Why MGM has Anamorphic copies of these movies in every other region except 1 is beyond me!
Old 07-16-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is Rocky 4 is the only rocky series (besides original) that got anamorphic transfer?

how bout the 2, 3, & 5?
are they available saparately?
Old 07-16-03, 12:44 AM
Banned

The problem I had with ROCKY 4 is that the English subtitles don't appear when they speak Russian.
Old 07-16-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I think we all can agree that Fry's should have taken care of the problem for me. But the fact is that they wouldn't. I may not be happy with MGM (two more days and still no word), they don't even come close to the way I feel about Fry's.

They have the worst customer service of any store I have ever dealt with. It's not even close. Having dealt with this place many, many times in the past, I knew what to expect. My failure was that I decided to be honest with them.

I told them what the problem was. The returns lady was pretty clueless, I actually had to point out to her that it was the wrong disc. If I had played dumb and just told her it didn't work, I probably wouldn't have had a problem.

Even after that, they seemed willing to take it back until they looked in their computer. See, the problem became that I had bought a 5-disc box set, where only one disc had a problem. They didn't want to exchange just the whole set, they only wanted to exchange Rocky IV. The box set was on sale for $30 that weekend, and my guess is that they didn't want to take another one off the shelf.

So they looked to see if they had Rocky IV by itself. They didn't. It was only at that point that they decided they couldn't help me. When I asked them why I couldn't exchange the whole set, I was told "Well, they're probably all like that."

They don't care about their customers. This is why I didn't fight it more than I did. They get worse the higher you go. They don't care that they could have defective merchandise on their shelves, as long as it's either on the shelf or sold. They take defective returns, slap a sticker on it, and re-sell it.

If it had been any other store on the planet, this problem would have been taken care of. But this is Fry's. The only reason to shop there is because they have great prices sometimes. And the Rocky set for $30 was pretty darn good. But that is all I'll usually buy from them. I take most of my business to Circuit City and Best Buy, even though Fry's is closer to my house.

But honestly, I can actually understand why I was passed off. In this very very rare case, it was the manufacturer's problem. But this wasn't a post to rant and rave on the service of Fry's, it was to point out the shoddy Customer Service of MGM. Fry's by all means should have handled the situation, but MGM MUST deal with it. They put the set together, they made the mistake, and they owe me my disc.

Yet they ignore me. No DVD, no E-mail, no letter, NOTHING! I sent in my disc to the address they told me to send it to, and they haven't even acknowledged that they got it. I'd call them, but I can't find a phone number to use on their website or on any of their discs that I own. Maybe if I start E-mailing them daily, something will happen, but who knows?

At least I got my BTTF discs back.
Old 07-16-03, 06:56 PM

I feel your pain... ****** service, great dvd deals occasionally. Did you charge it to your credit card? I would attempt to return it and dispute the entire charge off my credit card.
Old 07-16-03, 10:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by SergeantPinback
I'm still trying to get past the bit about Fry's Electronics. Had I bought the DVD there and it was missing or damaged or different, there would be a whole different story going on. I don't take no for an answer...
Yep - agreed.

Theking:

First of all, I haven't heard of any major chain that wouldn't at least give you a replacement for opened merchandise bought within x number of days.

So was this some return without a receipt, did you buy it somewhere else or was there some other problem?

Anyway, to compare your problem (which as far as we know is not a systemic problem) with problems that effect each and every item sold (such as the BTTF issue) is apples and oranges.

Your mistake was not making the merchant stand behind his merchandise. Period.
Old 07-16-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought the set on a Friday in May. I tried to return the set less than an hour later. I had the reciept obviously.

The problem was because the disc WASN'T defective. It was the wrong disc. They insuniated, although they didn't come out and say it, that I put the wrong disc in there.

They said to me "We're not saying you did it..." Which in my mind is the same as saying "We're saying you did it"

In their eyes, I didn't have the merchandise purchased. And frankly, I didn't have the time that day to fight since I had to work that night, so I went to work. Since they had already turned me away, I really didn't feel like dealing with the hastle that Fry's Customer Service is, so I tried my hands with MGM instead. I paid $30 for the whole set, which is still $20 less than anywhere else. Even if I have to buy Rocky IV in the end, I still come out cheaper. It's not worth my time, and possible arrest to argue over less than $10.

Why go back to a place when it would do no good? You really have to shop at Fry's to understand just how awful they are. Let me give you a couple of links:

http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592/frys.html

There's 19 pages there of complaints about shopping at Fry's. Bear in mind that Fry's only does business in 5 states, with only 23 stores.

http://frys.sthomas.net/

Even more info.

Again, we are not talking about your typical retail chain.

MGM is the one that should be standing behind their merchandise. Their name is on the box, which was the point of my original post.
Old 07-16-03, 11:35 PM

No, I guess the disk WASN'T defective, but the SET was. Sorry, I never would have accepted that answer, not on something that was only 1 hour out of the store. They should be backing up the products that they sell which are defective right out of the box. I would never, no matter what the price, shop at a store that would not make good on a product where you did not receive what is listed on the receipt.
Old 07-17-03, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
is Rocky 4 is the only rocky series (besides original) that got anamorphic transfer?

how bout the 2, 3, & 5?
are they available saparately?
Ok, the original 1, 2, 4 that were released the first time, none were anamorphic.

The remastered Rocky 1 was,
3 and 5 came out anamorphic
yet 3 is in 5.1 and 5 is in surround

Now if you check carefully, you will find that some Rocky IV's are now anamorphic.

No news on part 2.

If your region free, you can get all 5 in one shot anamorphic from just about any other region (makes sence right?)
Old 07-17-03, 07:14 PM
Banned

Back awhile ago on hometheaterforum.com I posted pictures of my Rocky cases as I purchased the box set the day it was released and 4 of the 5 discs were anamorphic with Rocky 2 being the only one non-anamorphic. Nobody seemed to believe me so I took pictures of the cases and personally inspected each transfer myself and all the ones that said they were anamorphic were. Rocky 4 was interesting in that the case incorrectly said 2.35:1 widescreen when it is in fact 1.85:1 widescreen but that was obviously just a misprint as the feature itself was 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. I really do not know why I ended up with 4 of the 5 movies in the box set being anamorphic....especially when everyone else's discs were non-anamorphic! I didn't comlain but posted it a few times on different boards before I realized either people just didn't care because they were too angry over non-anamorphic transfers or didn't believe me....sorta bizarre.

I still wish region 1 Rockey 2 was anamorphic though....seems strange they didn't re-do it ever.
Old 07-26-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kudos to MGM too!

SUCCESS!!!!!

It took them a while, but I finally received my replacement copy of Rocky IV from MGM!

It is anamorphic, so that's a good thing. And it's great to look at the box and see it whole again!