Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Charlie's Angels Appreciation Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-03, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the almost unanimous Charlie's Angels 2 bashing going on, I was wondering if I was the only one who actually enjoyed the movie?

There are a few reasons I like it. First, it is beautifully shot (every frame is visually pleasing, if McG has no other talent, he does atleast have a great visual eye). Second, the cameos, except for maybe Pink are amusing. Third, the film uses music wonderfully throughout. I had forgotten how much I liked Prodigy's "Breathe". Fourth, the film is fun, especially the Lucy Liu/John Cleese interaction, the dirtbike scene, ANY part Crispin Glover is in (his yelling and screaming, especially when he is in the haircut chair with Carrie Fisher, is hilarious). The end credits are even great, and as a movie theater worker, I make a point of not missing the end credits of every show.

I think that many people are overlooking Lucy Liu in this movie, calling her the obligatory "cold bitch" of the movie. I see a real comic warmth that comes through throughout. Her stuff with Cleese, and especially in the final scene. Her delivery of "We finally got her on her back" and when she tells Matt LeBlanc "time out's over baby, we're back in the game" make me laugh for whatever reason.

Is there anyone else out there who likes this movie, or agrees with me at all?

Last edited by SteveyP93; 07-12-03 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-12-03, 08:01 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Ditto.

For unexpalinable reasons, I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

McG's years of doing music videos helped this film (and the previous one) emmensely.

However, while he's a master of matching music and action together, I found his dialog scenes to be lacking that same spark. The conversations the characters had just seemed to plain and unimaginative. The sheer comedic delivery of the lines compensated though.

Can't wait for #3.

What would it be like if the WB game McG the Batman franchise? He couldn't ruined it anymore than Schumacher did...
Old 07-12-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any scene that played like a music video was great. ie, the end credits, the gangsters getting directions (that bit was genius actually), and the warehouse fight. The Irish bad guy was cool too. Loved the Cape Fear music that played whenever he was on screen. All of the girls' characters seemed nice & friendly to me.

It's too bad every single scene is played so over the top style-wise that it becomes tiring and takes away impact from the actual showcase scenes. I wouldn't take it over the first Charlie's Angels, but there are enough sweet scenes that I'd consider buying the DVD.
Old 07-12-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it as well, but man do I miss Bill Murray.
Old 07-12-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved this movie also but Bernie Mac made the part his own and he had me laughing with all his one liners. The only thing that rubbed me a little wrong was SPOILER----the treatment of Glover's characvter at the end, a little too off the wall for me, especially him supposedly dying but then again, if he survived the first film...
Old 07-12-03, 11:34 PM
Banned

I wish they put more Thin Man in it. I mean after all that crap, I'm still confused about him.

I'm not sure if I like CA2 more than the first one. This one definitely had a better soundtrack but like you guys have said, the music video stuff rocked. I guess if I see the whole movie like that, then it definitely was better than the first.

The only gripes I had were Demi Moore. I mean, who cares about this old bag? They could've done better with the story. At least the first one made sense....no wait, that one didn't either.
Old 07-13-03, 05:22 AM

I enjoyed this greatly, I liked the opening scene, loved the bruce willis cameo (nice to see he is not bitter). I thought the story was good, not brilliant but it done the job. I thought the thin man stuff was hillarious, espically when Drew started smelling his hair (by the way does anyone know why glover done these films, he doesn't seem like a mainstream kinda actor and McG doesn't say anything about this on the first DVD). I'm divided about Demi, yes she looks hot, her voice is knockout but i preferred her back in disclosure with her curves, but she looked to thin and lets face it, it was no surprise that she was behind it, no matter how many shots they show of her from behind on a phone.
Also does Lucy look hot in that leather mini skirt and knee-lenght boots at the end or was just mwe
Old 07-13-03, 08:24 AM

Yes she really does. When Thin Man comes back, and they show her reaction (she is scared and confused), I don't know what it is...the lighting or whatever, but she looks AMAZING.
Old 07-13-03, 09:07 AM

I can't explain my attraction to this movie, but it's just a bucket o'fun. Maybe I should go see the 2nd one.
J
Old 07-13-03, 04:46 PM

I really enjoyed CA2. Not as much as the first one but still loads of fun.
Can't wait for #3.
Unfortunately I doubt we'll see a third. CA2 is losing a ton of money.
Old 07-13-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I appreciate a movie like CA b/c it makes me realize how much I enjoy a well-made action movie, in comparison!
Old 07-13-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought I read somewhere that some director (Jonathan Demme, i think) was planning on doing a "proper" Charlie's Angels? Or maybe I was just seeing things?
Old 07-15-03, 08:01 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked FT, but not nearly as much as #1.

#1 had better bad guys, Bill Murray, better SFX (were they supposed to be bad in FT?).

However, I did have a fun time at the theater for 90 mins.
Old 07-15-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
#1 wasn't very good IMO... OK.

Full Throttle was cinematic genius.

I'm dead serious.
Old 07-15-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
CAFT really had a lose-lose situation that faces all sequels made to capitalize on the popularity of the first movie. If it gives you more of the same, people complain that it wasn't anything different. If it takes a totally different direction, then it will get bashed for not retaining the fun spirit of the original.
I thought CAFT was pretty good, and on levels with the first one. However, both movies are little more than three Hollywood girls getting together and playing dress-up for a couple of hours. I personally think that if the three stars had as much fun making this movie as it appears they did on screen, and the movies are about them having fun, they should have taken pay cuts to do the sequel as opposed to pay hikes. Their salaries being reduced would have been able to bring the budget to under $100 million. And face it, whether you like the movie or loathe it, that is an obscene amount to spend on a movie of this nature. (I.E. a slapstick comedy with some cool action at times.)

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 07-15-03 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved it as I loved the first movie. Drew rules!
Old 07-18-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing this.
Old 07-18-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
I liked it a lot.

It was, at points, a little too over the top for my tastes. It was hovering right at the edge of "believability" for me and then stepped right over that line, only to step right back.

It did look like they were having fun, and I found that infectious.
Old 07-19-03, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw this at the Drive-in tonight. It's not the best movie I've seen this summer, but I sure did enjoy the heck out of it. Yeah, it's a bit too off-the-wall, too unbelievable, but it was sure a lot of fun. I guess that's what matters.

I loved the cameos and the numerous movie references. Those are always fun to look for in a movie like this.