Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Yes! Just got my Korean/hk dvds today :)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-12-03, 06:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the following off ebay for $6.99 each:
1. Take care of my cat
2. Hero
3. Bungie jumping of their own
4. The road home

so I'll be watching these shortly, if anybody wants a quick review I'll post them

btw, i got them from seller 'tomson365', very fast service from canada.
Old 07-12-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the pricing is OK depending on what version you got of these movies (shipping seems kinda high), but generally speaking most EBay DVD sellers sell bootlegs. Though these ones you got may or may not be bootlegs, the particular seller in question has sold bootlegs before (i.e. region-free version of My Sassy Girl of which none exists). That's why I would stick with reputable places like DDDHouse or Layoyo (DVDShelf).
Old 07-12-03, 08:09 PM

Don't buy from bootlegger's they are cheap but downloading is even cheaper!

check the korean movie thread for big CJ Entertainment Sale!
Old 07-12-03, 08:26 PM

Some bootleggers are quite unsubtle. I say one person on ebay who was claiming to be selling "legit, region-free releases". Yet their feedback history revealed that one of their first purchases on ebay was 400 blank dvd cases

(That and several cheaply purchased pieces of positive feedback. Positive feedback for 99 cents sort of stuff)

Hemulen
Old 07-12-03, 09:49 PM

$6.99 probably means you bought bootlegs. The official releases cost more in the range of $15-25.
Old 07-12-03, 11:48 PM

Virtually everything he sells is a bootleg copy. A couple I can't say for sure, but the vast majority are...
Old 07-13-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, now he'll know who NOT to buy from again.

In the meantime... I hope you find Hero a blast, I'm waiting for the extended.
Old 07-13-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Civic2oo1
$6.99 probably means you bought bootlegs. The official releases cost more in the range of $15-25.
Hero can be had for next to nothing...no way 15-25...
Old 07-13-03, 07:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

well bootleg or not, the quality of these dvds seems to be excellent(at least from the first 2 dvds I've seen so far), so it's no big deal to me. Besides, unless you have lots of money, you simply cannot afford to blindly buy dvds for $15-$25 a pop even with reviews out there.

And another note, I watched Bungie jumping of their own... and I'm glad I didn't spend a lot on this one While it's a good movie, the wierdness of it I think really took away from what could have been a good movie.
Old 07-16-03, 10:49 PM

Not to sound all goody goody, but that mentality of 'doesn't matter whether or not it's a bootleg' is the exact thing that contributes to the prices being as high as they are. The movie bootlegging industry, especially with Asian DVDs has had a profound impact on the way DVDs are sold. I'm not sure that anyone else would agree with me, but if you look at Korean DVDs especially over the past year or so, it seems as though the companies are trying to intice the consumer to purchase legit, limited extravagent releases with the addition of multi disc sets, supplemental material (My Sassy Girl 3-disc LE- postcards, mini CD, with My Tutor Friend LE you got a soundtrack, magnetic can openers, post cards, photos, etc, it seems that with My Teacher Mr. Kim you get more stuff as well).

And while the die hard collectors will purchase these sets, it only releases them at a higher price point, which in turn I believe leads the regular edition to be sold at a much higher price then it should. I mean if the difference in price is that much, not many people would see the appeal of buying the much more, non economical deluxe packaging. While I don't think that you as a single user buying bootleg movies and shrugging them off as 'oh well, it happens' will kill the movie industry, it's the entire bootlegging industry that does. And all you are doing is contributing to it.

And in the day and age we are in now with the ease of the internet for movie reviews (I can't begin to count the number of reviews for The Way Home or My Sassy Girl) and the age with rentals, online rentals, etc, the excuse of 'Oh it's too expensive to blind buy' just doesn't cut it anymore. I mean I'm only 21 and I'm a full time student, but for my imports that I do buy I'm fairly selective of them and I'll only buy things that either A) I've seen b) I've been told it's good or C) I read in some sort of medium (Newspaper, online reviews, etc) it's worth it. Like you said it's an expensive blind buy. And I'll be the first one to say that with domestic releases that get sold for $14.99 new release week you can pass off a crap blind buy as a mistake, but with the more expensive import market it's harder to do so. So in closing I guess I'm saying, to respect the people that work so hard in these movies for our entertainment and support their product legally. That's all.