Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"Sci-Fi" channel announces slate of "original" films.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Linky
SCI FI Unveils Film Slate

The SCI FI Channel announced a new slate of original films set to premiere in 2004-'05, as the network increases its production to 22 originals per year, with about two premiering each month. The channel calls the films "a blend of special effects, bone-crunching fight scenes and out-of-this-world creatures." The SCI FI Saturday Action movies are a ratings success story for the channel: Since SCI FI introduced them in 2002, they have averaged a household rating of 1.4, 40 percent higher than the channel's average.

Among the upcoming productions:

Dead Rail. A detective on board a bullet train on its inaugural run to Las Vegas must overcome his haunted past to destroy hostile aliens. Written by Brian Smith, founder of SCIFI.COM's Seeing Ear Theatre, and produced by Glow Worm.

Darklight. Lilith, a superhuman warrior cursed with immortality, must battle an escaped genetically engineered creature carrying a deadly virus. Directed by Bill Platt, former development executive for the SCI FI Channel's Exposure. Production begins in Sofia, Bulgaria, with UFO Films in July.

Chupacabra. The mythical beast is captured and smuggled aboard a cruise ship en route to America, but escapes, and Navy SEALs are brought in to destroy the monster. Produced by Regent Films.

Raptor Island. Raptors are discovered on a remote island when an elite team journeys deep into the jungle to rescue a kidnapped scientist. Produced by 100% Entertainment.

Mansquito. A scientist trying to find a cure for the West Nile Virus accidentally transforms herself and a junkie into mutant mosquito creatures. Produced by Nu Image.

Alien Blood. An alien army invades Earth, demanding the sacrifice of 1 million humans, and a small band of human prisoners rebels. Produced by UFO Films.

Larva. A dirty meat-packing company sells meat contaminated with larvae, and the larvae begin to growing inside the customers. Produced by Nu Image.

Hammerhead. While working on stem-cell research, a scientist transforms his subject into a mutant shark-beast. Produced by Nu Image.
Wow. "Mansquito"?! At least Bonnie managed to get her name into one of the titles.
Old 07-10-03, 02:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The only one remotely interesting is the one in the choo-choo.
Old 07-10-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mansquito Way to go, Bonnie ... you've really outdone yourself this time. Those guys are Nu Image seem really high on originality. They have another telefilm that's not on the list.

Originality: While working on widget research, a scientist accidentally transforms himself into a mutant blahblah.
das
Old 07-10-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Rail sounds good. Which means it'll be good for 25 minutes before degenerating into pure crap.

All the rest sound like Mad Libs versions of old B Movies.
Blah blah scientist blah blah mutant blah blah last survivor blah blah

The Sci Fi Boycott* will be so easy to maintain.

D

*Sci Fi Boycott does not include episodes of Stargate SG1, Farcape or assorted Twilight Zone and Star Trek reruns.
Old 07-10-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Raptor Island. Raptors are discovered on a remote island when an elite team journeys deep into the jungle to rescue a kidnapped scientist. Produced by 100% Entertainment.
I saw it the first time when it was called The Lost World: Jurassic Park.
Old 07-10-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Morf
I saw it the first time when it was called The Lost World: Jurassic Park.
No...these are raptors. Those were Velociraptors. See, there's a difference.
Old 07-10-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Sci-Fi Channel" and "original" in the same sentence... it boggles the mind.
Old 07-10-03, 05:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Derrich
All the rest sound like Mad Libs versions of old B Movies.
Blah blah scientist blah blah mutant blah blah last survivor blah blah
Exactly what I was thinking... they're just a bunch of goofy pairings in most cases.

Navy Seals meets the Chupacabra, on a cruise ship!
Immortal superwoman meets deadly virus!
Detective meets aliens, on a bullet train!

Then you've got the overt ripoffs of Jurassic Park and V/Independence Day... and not one but two variations of The Fly (or whatever 50s monster flick).

Larva isn't exactly original, but I'm almost interested.
Old 07-10-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by aintnosin
"Sci-Fi Channel" and "original" in the same sentence... it boggles the mind.
You'll notice that I put them both in quotes, as I cannot vouch for the veracity of either.
Old 07-10-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Larva=chest burster aliens
Mansquito= the fly
Raptor Island=Jurrasic Park unless they aren't using raptor as a short version of any of the dinosaur raptors
Old 07-10-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
•Dead Rail. A detective on board a bullet train on its inaugural run to Las Vegas must overcome his haunted past to destroy hostile aliens. Written by Brian Smith, founder of SCIFI.COM's Seeing Ear Theatre, and produced by Glow Worm.

•Darklight. Lilith, a superhuman warrior cursed with immortality, must battle an escaped genetically engineered creature carrying a deadly virus. Directed by Bill Platt, former development executive for the SCI FI Channel's Exposure. Production begins in Sofia, Bulgaria, with UFO Films in July.

•Chupacabra. The mythical beast is captured and smuggled aboard a cruise ship en route to America, but escapes, and Navy SEALs are brought in to destroy the monster. Produced by Regent Films.

•Raptor Island. Raptors are discovered on a remote island when an elite team journeys deep into the jungle to rescue a kidnapped scientist. Produced by 100% Entertainment.

•Mansquito. A scientist trying to find a cure for the West Nile Virus accidentally transforms herself and a junkie into mutant mosquito creatures. Produced by Nu Image.

•Alien Blood. An alien army invades Earth, demanding the sacrifice of 1 million humans, and a small band of human prisoners rebels. Produced by UFO Films.

•Larva. A dirty meat-packing company sells meat contaminated with larvae, and the larvae begin to growing inside the customers. Produced by Nu Image.

•Hammerhead. While working on stem-cell research, a scientist transforms his subject into a mutant shark-beast. Produced by Nu Image.
Jesus, that reads like the back of a Brentwood ten-pack.
Old 07-10-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

•Chupacabra. The mythical beast is captured and smuggled aboard a cruise ship en route to America, but escapes, and Navy SEALs are brought in to destroy the monster. Produced by Regent Films.
Oooo! Navy SEALS!
Old 07-10-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DRG

Then you've got the overt ripoffs of Jurassic Park and V/Independence Day... and not one but two variations of The Fly (or whatever 50s monster flick).
Actaully I think it's a ripoff of battlefield earth not independence day. So you know it's gonna be really bad. Thou I'm not sure if it can.
Old 07-10-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, it's like those $3.88 dvds at Wal Mart... in the comfort of your own home!
Old 07-11-03, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Dead Rail" might be good if only for the fact that it's written by the guy behind Seeing Ear Theatre, a sort of online radio show with different adventure programs that harkened back to the 1930s. The cast of Mystery Science Theater voiced the characters for a few of the programs, and it was really entertaining.
Old 07-11-03, 01:13 PM
razorbackfan

I'm confused about the original part of these Sci-Fi Channel movies?
Old 07-11-03, 06:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They should just save everyone's time and combine them all into one movie.

A dirty meat-packing company sells meat contaminated with larvae, and the larvae begin to growing inside a scientist named Lilith. While attempting to cure her condition, she accidentally turns herself into a superhuman warrior cursed with immortality. She also mistakenly turns a junkie detective into a sharksquito. Meanwhile, an army of hostile alien raptors smuggles a genetically-engineered, West Nile Virus-carrying chupacabra aboard a bullet train en route to America, threatening to let it loose in Las Vegas unless 1 million humans sacrifice themselves. Lilith and her Sharksquito sidekick must overcome their haunted pasts to join the Navy SEALS and stop the evil forces.

Last edited by DRG; 07-11-03 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-11-03, 06:44 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

"Mansquito"

Old 07-11-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
HA! I won't be fooled again--I'm too smart for you sci-fi channel. I know that your "originals" are always disappointing, except for Farscape, which you cancelled.

But. . . does anyone think they mean real raptors? I hope not since I'm kind of a raptor freak. I annoy my kids to no end when we watch Harry Potter (and that is the Great Grey Owl. . . oh and see the Elf Owl. That one's a Spotted Owl blah blah blah. I love HP, if only because of the owls. So, if they use real raptors and not some stupid dinosaurs, I'll have to tell my kids to help me stay away from sci-fi. Other than that, I'm free of any desire to watch anything with the words "scifi" and "original" in it.

tasha
Old 07-12-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DRG
They should just save everyone's time and combine them all into one movie.

A dirty meat-packing company sells meat contaminated with larvae, and the larvae begin to growing inside a scientist named Lilith. While attempting to cure her condition, she accidentally turns herself into a superhuman warrior cursed with immortality. She also mistakenly turns a junkie detective into a sharksquito. Meanwhile, an army of hostile alien raptors smuggles a genetically-engineered, West Nile Virus-carrying chupacabra aboard a bullet train en route to America, threatening to let it loose in Las Vegas unless 1 million humans sacrifice themselves. Lilith and her Sharksquito sidekick must overcome their haunted pasts to join the Navy SEALS and stop the evil forces.