Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Knights of the Old Republic Out July 16th!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from lucasarts site:

Gone Gold! In Stores July 16
LucasArts is pleased to announce that the Xbox™ version of Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ has gone gold!

Whos else is picking this game up?
Old 07-09-03, 11:27 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm all over this one.
Old 07-10-03, 12:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm waiting for the PC version.
Old 07-10-03, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless it has Progressive and 16:9 options i'm waiting for the PC version also but definitely picking it up.
Old 07-10-03, 05:13 AM

I really want this game too. But I want a review, even though I trust Bioware with it.
Old 07-10-03, 09:22 AM
Suspended

I got my pre-order in quite some time ago. This was the killer app for me getting a X-Box. I've enjoyed the other games, but this is the one I'm jonesing for.
Old 07-10-03, 09:25 AM
Suspended

I'll check it out if the reviews are good. Bioware rarely turns out a turd.

I'll go with the Xbox version because I prefer gaming on a large screen with 5.1 surround (my wimpy Klipsch 4.1 PC setup can't compete).
Old 07-10-03, 09:32 AM

I hope it's not like Morrowwind. I bought the game but when I started playing and tried talking to a couple people. I never had the time to sit there and read for an hour. If it's not a lot of reading I'm going to pick it up.
Old 07-10-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

heres the main site for anyone who doesnt know much about the game.. some screenshots and a nice game preview on it also..

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/index.html
Old 07-10-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kegman
I hope it's not like Morrowwind. I bought the game but when I started playing and tried talking to a couple people. I never had the time to sit there and read for an hour. If it's not a lot of reading I'm going to pick it up.
Looks like you won't have much to worry, there's so a lot of voice acting in this game, by some high-profile actors:

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/july...warskotorxbox/

I agree, I couldn't play Morrowind because it was just like reading a book - if I wanted that, I'd just read a book, at least I'd know I'd have some direction as what to do next (turn the page)...

Jeremy
Old 07-10-03, 10:27 AM
Retired

Originally posted by El-Kabong
This was the killer app for me getting a X-Box. .
Same here. If this game turns out as good as it looks, I definitely pick up a X-box for it some time. It will have to be after another price drop though, as $179 is too much when all I want is this, Halo and PDO (not to mention I'm working two jobs for the summer and don't have much free time right now anyway).
Old 07-10-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
I got my pre-order in quite some time ago. This was the killer app for me getting a X-Box. I've enjoyed the other games, but this is the one I'm jonesing for.
Me too, this was the reason I went with an Xbox versus a GC or PS2. 7/16 can't come fast enough!

Jeremy
Old 07-10-03, 10:34 AM
dgc

Also, I think it's been mentoned before. If you preorder from the lucas arts company store for $49.99 you get free shipping and a lightsaber letter opener.

http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/swkotor/

"Follow the light: Tame your letters with the fast and precise action of our specially crafted pewter lightsaber letter opener, featuring the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic logo on a blue resin blade. (NOT A TOY. For letter opening purposes only). FREE with purchase of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.*

* While supplies last. Free shipping and handling offer applies to standard US delivery only; normal expedited and Canadian rates still apply. "

Old 07-10-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game looks great, but I'm still on the fence. Morrowind sucked up so much of my life. I'm not sure I can do it again. Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-10-03, 10:51 AM
dgc

I agree. However, if I'm going to let something suck up my life at least it's part of something I enjoy very much, the Star Wars universe.
Old 07-10-03, 11:05 AM

Don't worry. This game isn't nearly as big as Morrowind. Not even close (few games are).
Old 07-10-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Am I the only one that gets the sense that this is more adventure than RPG?
Old 07-10-03, 01:36 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by jrutz
Me too, this was the reason I went with an Xbox versus a GC or PS2. 7/16 can't come fast enough!
Course, I'm a total Star Wars whore - Rogue Squadron was the reason I jumped on the Cube over the Box on launch day. If PS2 had a really strong SW title, I wouldnt have waited 2 years to pick that console up.
Old 07-10-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Am I the only one that gets the sense that this is more adventure than RPG?
From the previews I've read, it plays much like Baldur's Gate in that you can pause and issue commands during combat. The look and feel of the game is influenced by BioWare's prior titles as well. There are some gameplay elements that seem to cater to the console player, though, but it seems to be a nice blend.

I really don't think anyone will be disappointed with this title. And it could be console game of the year when it's all said and done.

Jeremy
Old 07-10-03, 01:52 PM

For what it's worth, the game is built on a variant of the Aurora engine, so the closest equivalent in terms of gameplay and interface is Neverwinter Nights.
Old 07-10-03, 02:15 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Groucho
For what it's worth, the game is built on a variant of the Aurora engine, so the closest equivalent in terms of gameplay and interface is Neverwinter Nights.
I didn't think that NWN had multiple playable characters?
Old 07-10-03, 04:38 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

GMR gave it a 10 out of 10 according to the press release. Here is a portion of the review:

"Best RPG ever? Maybe. All I know is that while I type this message, it's calling me back to my Xbox. Here I come, baby!"

"Ok, since I just got back from eating a yummy meal, I am no longer shaking with hunger, and am able to type coherently. Consider that I know my way around a Final Fantasy game or two. IMO, the FF formula has gotten increasingly stale (new hero, new ways of calling summons summons, slightly new battle system, etc.). There's no discounting the high quality of Final Fantasy games, but are they all that much fun? Or just wondrous to experience?"

Summary:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is wondrous AND fun. KOTOR is, among other things:

1) Huge.

You aren't even a Jedi for the first ten hours or so, because you've been trying to rescue Bastilla, a Jedi warrior who's been captured. By completing all the side quests (you gain experience for talking to people) you become strong by leveling up. Since there's no time limit, it behooves you to embark on all the side quests, and in doing so, adds valuable allies to your party, and enables you to discover key weapons and armor that you wouldn't have found if you hadn't taken those quests.

Plus, once you've gotten through about 20% of the game, you then discover that you must travel to at least four new worlds. HUGE.

2) It's never boring.

Unlike many RPGs where the standard fetch quests make you feel like somebody's messenger boy, all the side quests (even settling a Romeo and Juliet-like war between two families) in KOTOR are enjoyable and worth doing just for the experience, not just the experience points.

3) Battle system rocks.

It's not quite real-time, it's not quite turn-based. It's somewhere inbetween. You choose your own actions, and can "stock" a sequence of actions (such as perform a regular attack, powerful attack, throw grenade, and then heal, in that order), leaving you free to cycle to one of your main character's two available allies to use their particular skills as well. If you choose to let them handle themselves, you can also program their strategies, such as setting Bastilla the Jedi to use Jedi skills (speed up, heal, push-back attack) until her Force points deplete. You can also have droids or warriors use their best abilities (grenadier, droid attack, etc.) to support you in battles.

4) Customization is king.

Being able to see, on the real in-game model, the outfits you assign to them, as well as the weapons and accessories, KOTOR takes on a very Diablo II-like style (or if you prefer, Neverwinter Nights) feel. Assigning items to different body parts is made easy thanks to the largely visual equip screen. You can also upgrade specifica armors and weapons, and even enhance your lightsaber with different crystals.

5) Branching paths.

Obviously, it's up to you whether you choose the light side or the dark side, but it is in your actions and deeds that determines this path. A staggering amount of conversations take place, and almost all of them have meaning.

Unlike Final Fantasy, where NPCs (non-player characters) usually have one or two trite lines of inconsequential hoo-ha to say, in KOTOR you actually have conversations. Sure there are a lot of NPCs with nothing to really add to your experience, but that ratio is kept slim compared to the amount of people who do. Since you get experience for furthering the story, it's in your best interest in both the experience gaining sense and the information-gathering sense to be as verbose as possible. There's a payoff there that most other RPGS simply don't have. The fact that the script is unbelievably well-written helps things. To be quite honest, KOTOR has some of the wittiest dialogue I've ever seen in an RPG.

And since I'm 32 years old, I can say that I've seen 'em all. Oh, and I'm currently playing my way towards the Dark side, and let me just say that the options in the dialogue become a lot funnier when you're evil. Fortunately, since the game was designed this way, you're not quite penalized for playing towards the Dark side. Your companions remain unaware of your leanings except by noting how impatient you seem, or how much danger you're in of being persuaded by the Dark side.

As soon as I'm done with the game as a Dark side-type, I'll play through again as a goody two shoes. While a couple things could make the experience a little smoother (interface things, mostly), it's nothing worth griping over, which leads me back to my original point:

Best. RPG. Ever?

Maybe.
Old 07-10-03, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by trigun
I didn't think that NWN had multiple playable characters?
Eh? You can choose from several races, classes, and alignments. Plus you can choose your gender and customize your appearance. There are literally hundreds of combinations.
Old 07-10-03, 07:23 PM
dgc

Stopped at EB after work. I just put a deposit down on KOTOR. This is the first time I've ever done that. Tells you how much I'm psyched for this game.
Old 07-10-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I stopped at EB tonight as well and the guy there advised that they had been told that it has been pushed once again...but only one day. He said that it won't be sold/coming in until the 17th instead of the 16th. He did not know why.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.