Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What one really nitpicky thing drives you crazy about your favorite movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-09-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I love Pretty in Pink. I love Molly, I love Ducky, love the story, love, love, love the clothes, love the pink car. There is one thing that really, really bothers me about this movie. It's nitpicky, but when I saw PIP the very first time and each and every time I've seen it since it bothers me ---- Andrew McCarthy's hair at prom.

Andrew/Blaine is a cutie and his hair is nicely coiffed, when he hit prom something is all wrong. It's flat. It's too dark. The cut is funny. I mean it looks like he popped in from another movie. All the other actors' hairstyles are nice, dressed up and Andrew's looks like he got a color rinse and didn't wash it for a few days.

It just grates my nerves, but otherwise this is my favorite 80's teen movie.
Old 07-09-03, 07:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The thing I hated about Pretty in Pink was Andrew McCarthy's little "computer trick" to Molly Ringwald.

Not only is it pretty much impossible to do on 1986 school computers, but his character wasn't smart enough or dorky enough to pull it off.
Old 07-09-03, 07:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
And about

STAR WARS: SPECIAL EDITION:

They still didn't color in Darth Vader's lightsaber when he approaches the blast door right after killing Ben Kenobi!

That grates my nerves!! How careless can George be?

They can make unncessary changes like Greedo shooting first, or Han Solo running into a bigger squadron of stormtroopers, but they can't color in Vader's lightsaber for a few frames?
Old 07-09-03, 07:12 PM

I think they left the saber on purpose... as it is one of those things that us Star Wars nuts like to point out to others, kind of like adding ET into the senate scene in Ep I.

I don't know if this is my favorite movie, though it is one of them for the summer, but in T3 Arnold breaks into the truck and looks in the visor for the keys. He shouldn't have done that, as this particular T101 never learned that from T2.
Old 07-09-03, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In LOTR: FOTR,

The scene where the Urak Hai(sp) catch up with the Fellowship along the riverbank there's a long, continuous camera shot that basically glides along and shows the approaching/attacking hoard. During that camera shot there's one Orc that is running down a flight of steps, I don't know why but it really looks like a guy in an Orc suit running down the steps. I don't know if it's the way he runs or what but it drives me crazy.
Old 07-09-03, 07:35 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite movie, T2, but one big nitpick:
Why doesnt the T-1000 run after JC in the mall, in the iron mill? I know it looks scarier to walk but realism wise, he should always be running.

PS: perhaps one of the defects that happened to him after getting shattered ("hasta la vista, baby"), besides absorbing the other materials makes him unable to run.
Old 07-09-03, 07:37 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wordtoyamotha

The scene where the Urak Hai(sp) catch up with the Fellowship along the riverbank there's a long, continuous camera shot that basically glides along and shows the approaching/attacking hoard. During that camera shot there's one Orc that is running down a flight of steps, I don't know why but it really looks like a guy in an Orc suit running down the steps. I don't know if it's the way he runs or what but it drives me crazy.
EXACTLY! I've never heard anyone else mention this, but yes, i notice it everytime. It looks like he is daintily walking down, taking it nice and slow so as not to fall. Very un-scary for an Uruk-hai.
Old 07-09-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

That's one of my all-time favorite shots.

In Die Hard 3, the scene with the four-gallon bottle-bomb is very, very incoherant. If anyone can explain it to me, PLEASE DO! I've seen the movie approx 100 times (really!), and still can't figure it out.
Old 07-09-03, 08:24 PM

Yip, my vote go with that Uruk Hai also.

Bothers me each time and its one of my favorite scene. Such a shame
Old 07-09-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by troystiffler
That's one of my all-time favorite shots.

In Die Hard 3, the scene with the four-gallon bottle-bomb is very, very incoherant. If anyone can explain it to me, PLEASE DO! I've seen the movie approx 100 times (really!), and still can't figure it out.
Fill the 5gallon and dump into the 3gallon, empty the 3gallon, pour the 2gallons left in the 5gallon into the 3gallon, refill the 5gallon and fill up the 3gallon (there's only 2gallons in it) and you now have 4gallons in the 5gallon container
Old 07-09-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I KNOW THAT SCENE!!! IT LOOOKS LIKE A CHICK RUNNING DOWN THE STAIRS WHO'S AFRAID OF FALLING

it distracts me everytime
Old 07-09-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Predator II:

The overall sound quality of the film and also when the Predator rips his equipment off after the water is turned on he also rips several Dreads

DUNE('84):

although the Black stillsuits looked cool....why oh why would stillsuits be -black- on a planet like DUNE? They should've went with a more natural desert color scheme.
Old 07-09-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the Big Lebowski, every time I see it, it pisses me off when after The Dude is done pleasuring Maude, he goes to the phone, realizing where the million is and calls Walter - you can hear the phone ringing, but The Dude keeps talking - pick up the phone Walter, it's an emergency, etc. It never got to the answering machine...and then when Walter does pick up, he says he usually doesn't answer the phone on Sunday, but because it was an emergency, he did. How did he know it was an emergency? There was no answering machine - it was still ringing...I can see The Dude talking while it's ringing...oh well - still a great movie.

Old 07-10-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The bad stunt double of Al Pacino in Heat when he's tackling Henry Rollins. The guy is built like a Mack truck and he's about 20 years younger. Totally distracting.
Old 07-10-03, 12:54 AM
Banned

DUNE('84):

although the Black stillsuits looked cool....why oh why would stillsuits be -black- on a planet like DUNE? They should've went with a more natural desert color scheme.
I never thought about that! Considering the color black absorbs the most heat, you think they'd pass out. Then again, maybe that's just why, so they can sweat more.
Old 07-10-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
When the tank falls over the cliff, in the first shot, the turret falls off, in the next shot, its still attached.

Part of me wants Lucas/Spielberg fix that.
Old 07-10-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
Die Hard - at the beginning, why would the security guard have John look up Holly on the computer if the only people left in the building were on the 30th floor? It was a complete waste if time.

Back to the Future - at the end Marty sets the time machine to go back ten minutes early, and when its all over, everything is supposedly back to normal (actually better than before) but theoretically, there is a new Marty entering the picture every week...that's 52 Martys a year running around.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 07-10-03 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-10-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
There are 56 Martys entering weekly in a 52 week year?

That's heavy.
Old 07-10-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
I'm sorry, my bad, that's one Marty a week for 52 weeks...52 Martys a year.
Old 07-10-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I'm just being nitpicky in the nitpicky thread.
Old 07-10-03, 06:07 PM

Not my favortie movie, but the stunt doubles used at the end of FACE/OFF when both characters fly off of the boat is just too distracting.

also, Pulp Fiction, it's not a mistake, but i think this is more along the lines of what the original poster meant... I hate when Uma Thurman draws a square on the screen... God that annoyed me, completely took me out of the movie.

AND, Edward Norton living at the end of Fight Club after shooting himself in the head just seems impossible.. but i can see how it can be possible, but it still irks me.
Old 07-10-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
American Pie (not my favorite movie) -- Chris's "Lifetime" joke during the beginning credits. Painful.
Old 07-10-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Superman and Batman franchises:

the actors chosen for both were not a physical match to the heroes.

Planet of the Apes(Tim Burton)

all the males apes...looked like apes.
all the female apes...looked like some sort of human/ape hybrid freakshow.
Old 07-10-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
The Breakfast Club. I love the movie, but I hate the dancing scene, just because everyone looks so goofy. I know it's typical 80's dancing, and I've never claimed to be able to dance either, but it's not any less annoying because of that.
Old 07-11-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In Footloose, no-one is allowed to dance. When they finally GET to dance, everyone knows the latest greatest moves. Whaddup wid DAT, yo?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.