The Simpsons Christmas Special DVD

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those of you looking for more Simpsons DVD's, you can pick up The Simpsons Christmas Special DVD on October 14th. The disc will feature a bonus C.M. Burns montage featurette and retail is $14.98.
Old 07-09-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Is this the first episode which is part of the first season set?
Old 07-09-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I thought..
Old 07-09-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
There have been four or five christmas themed episodes, I'll bet most of them are included on this.
Old 07-09-03, 11:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Rather than putting out these stupid theme discs, I wish they'd spend the time getting out the season sets out quicker.
Old 07-09-03, 12:12 PM

I bet it is like the Treehouse of Horrors disc coming out. There will probably be four or so Christmas episodes on it. I wish they would come out with season sets faster as well, but they still have a show to make and I bet it is hard to find time to record the commentary for each episode. As long as they keep on recording the excellent commentaries they have for the first two seasons, I don't mind waiting!
Old 07-09-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
This sounds good. Where did this info. come from?
Old 07-09-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Groucho
Rather than putting out these stupid theme discs, I wish they'd spend the time getting out the season sets out quicker.
Word.
Old 07-09-03, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Hell yeah!
Old 07-09-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're releasing the Christmas special on DVD solo? Weird.
Old 07-09-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: The Simpsons Christmas Special DVD

Originally posted by PribbleDVD
The disc will feature a bonus C.M. Burns montage featurette
This is what bugs me. Special features on these theme discs probably won't make it onto the season sets (at least, not for a long time). I bet the THoH disc has some featurette too.

Do the theme discs have commentary? I'm betting they don't, as they are geared much more towards the casual buyer.

$15 isn't bad (should be able to get for $10-$11 most places), but it's just more double dipping.
Old 07-09-03, 02:34 PM

I doubt that there will be commentary tracks on the Christmas Special DVD or THoH DVD. This is why it takes so long to release them in seasons because they need to record commentaries for each show.

The extras on these two releases will probably not be on the season sets so this is why I will be picking them up. I have been looking at amazon and other online stores and you can pick them up for about $11 each.
Old 07-09-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're not missing much in terms of extras. It's just a montage. Probably just somce lips of classice Burns moments. 5 minutes tops. Same with the Kang & Kodos one. These are just to tide people over until the season sets come out. It's not a lot of hard work to put out these small DVD's. The season sets are a big deal and require more work. I might get them if the price and the episodes are good.
Old 07-09-03, 03:17 PM
Banned

I might get the Halloween dvd IF it has 5-10 episodes which wouldn't normally be released until their boxed set counterparts and those probably won't come out for several years the way things are going.
Old 07-10-03, 01:30 AM
Banned

Well, here is what is on the Region 2 version of the Treehouse of Horror dvd (and probably Region 1):

A scarifying anthology of four of the best Hallowe'en specials from The Simpsons...

Treehouse Of Horror V
Homer attempts to kill his family in 'The Shinning' (No TV and no beer makes Homer something something...). Homer tries to fix a toaster and winds up altering the fabric of time itself in 'Time and Punishment'. Principal Skinner serves students for lunch in 'Nightmare Cafetaria'.

Treehouse Of Horror VI
Icons go berserk in 'Attack of the 50 Foot Eyesores'. Groundskeeper Willie invades the children's dreams in 'Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace' and Homer enters a 3-D world of computer animation in 'Homer3'.

Treehouse Of Horror VII
We meet Bart's evil twin in 'The Thing and I'. Lisa creates a miniature world in 'The Genesis Tub' and aliens steal the identities of Bill Clinton and Bob Dole in 'Mr Kang Goes To Washington'.

Treehouse Of Horror XII
In 'Hex and the City' a gypsy curses Homer, bringing misery to everyone he loves. In 'House of Whacks', a computer (voiced by Pierce Brosnan) takes over the Simpson house and attempts to kill Homer for Marge's love. In 'Wiz Kids' Bart and Lisa are students at a school for wizards, where they foil the evil Lord Montymort.

Considering these won't be coming out (at the current rate) for 3, 4, 5 and 10 years I'll be picking this cheap disc up.
Old 07-10-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps this is to appease those fairweather fans that watch the show from time to time, wouldn't buy season sets, but still like the specials they do.

I'm like that. But I don't see the point in spending that much for such little material.
Old 07-10-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't see $10 as being too much for that Treehouse disc. I'm so there.
Old 07-16-03, 09:50 PM

Nice Cover art:
Old 07-17-03, 12:54 AM
Banned

The Christmas-themed episodes aren't nearly as memorable as the Halloween shows so I'll probably pass.
Old 07-17-03, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by soxrule
Nice Cover art:
I won't be buying the set, but damn, that is a sweet cover!
Old 07-17-03, 10:11 AM
Banned

I find it hard to believe that it is merely the commentaries that are holding up the boxsets. It DOES NOT take a year to record 25 or so commentaries for 20 minute long episodes. It is completely ridiculous. There has to be some sort of bottleneck somewhere or decision made to take so damn long to release the boxsets. Sure, the commentaries are nice and I'm glad they are included but I don't think there is anyway they are holding up production a year and if a Fox studio exec has said something to that effect he is a liar.

Just get the damn sets out. Everyone will buy them.
Old 07-17-03, 01:45 PM
Dai

It may not take a year for people who sit around all day and do nothing.

I would think that most of these people do have other projects on the go and are quite busy
Old 07-17-03, 03:18 PM

It takes 6 months for Groening and gang to make one episode so I would say that they stay pretty busy. Plus like the previous post says, they do have other projects. I doubt anybody at FOX is telling them to hold back, they could make a lot of money off these season boxsets. Anyway, in the meantime I got my 2 season box sets, a third on the way and hell, it comes on in syndication 3 times a day where I live so I am good!
Old 07-17-03, 05:29 PM

I can only think of three Christmas episodes (including the pilot). That plus the Monty Burns feature should equal about 65 minutes. Good thing these discs will be selling for about $7 at online retailers.

As for box sets, I'm still willing to believe that Fox will step up the output next year. Maybe we'll see two or three seasons next year. With the way TV shows on DVD are selling right now, it only makes sense to take advantage of the trend while it lasts -- because all things end eventually.
Old 07-17-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will not buy a single season set of the Simpsons, but I think I would buy a $7 Christmas DVD. I love buying a few Christmas DVDs every year, this might be one of my purchases this holiday season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.