100 Years of Horror?

Community
Search

100 Years of Horror?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100 Years of Horror?

I just ordered this VHS documentary off of BestPrices.com for around $70 (13 volumes!)

But I heard it was coming to DVD, but the only thing I could find was a 120 minute 1 DVD. Now combined the 13 volumes comes out around 13 hours, is this coming to DVD or not?
Old 07-08-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I'm completely flabbergasted that it was originally a 13-volume set on VHS coming in at 343 minutes and mercifully chopped down to just under 1 hour and 40 minutes for the DVD (which I own...couldn't bring myself to own the VHS set)...it would make a great DVD box set. Aside from the full-frame, shoddy production values, and not-so-great transfer, it really is a great doc hosted by Christopher Lee. Somehow though I seriously doubt the entire set will make it to DVD.

This review from Fears Magazine sums it up pretty well:

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY HORROR DOCUMENTARIES and this is one of the best. Christopher Lee narrates this series which chronicles the history of horror films from their early days in the fledgeling film industry through the realistic, blood-soaked offerings of the twentieth century. Although there have been several documentaries covering the history of horror films, I particularly like this one because it covers a wider range than most and includes some directors and films that are often omitted. Yes, this series includes the classic horror films contained in almost every documentary, but it also discusses some films that only horror aficionados may be familiar with, such as Dementia 13, and Peeping Tom. It also contains more information on the beginnings of horror in cinema than you find in most other documentaries of this type. There is a discussion of George Melies, the father of special effects and Luis Bunuel, the surrealist filmmaker who shocked the world with his now infamous eyeball-slicing scene. The documentary also contains interviews with some of the horror film "greats" including Roger Corman, John Carpenter, Boris Karloff and Peter Cushing.

This two-hour version is actually condensed from a 13-part series that runs over 5 hours. Although this is a cut-down version of the original, the reasonable price tag makes it quite a bargain when compared with the 13-volume VHS box set which retails for over $100.00. Each segment covers a different horror-film category such as Frankenstein, Werewolves, Witches and Demons or The Walking Dead. While the series presents a fairly broad coverage of films, there are some notable omissions, such as George Romero's Night of the Living Dead. I have a feeling, however, this was probably due to an inability to get the rights rather than an oversight by the series' creators. Or, perhaps Living Dead is contained in the full, 13-episode version of the series which, admittedly, I have not seen.

This production on this DVD is definitely low-budget. There is very little difference between it and the two-hour VHS version. No extras are included and, unfortunately, the sound quality and film clips have not been digitally remastered or enhanced. The DVD does give you quick access to each episode of the series, but that's about it. Even the menu is somewhat confusing. It contains a digital image representing each one of the series' segments, but there is no text accompanying the images so it's hard to figure out what each represents. But even with these drawbacks, this is still a production worth having. It contains a great deal of information that is presented in a lively, interesting format. For horror-film buffs, watching this documentary provides a wonderful "stroll down memory lane." And for those not well-versed in the horror film genre, it's a great way to find other films you might want to see.
Old 07-08-03, 01:50 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Re: 100 Years of Horror?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. I heard they'd be put on DVD too, but that was 2+ years ago.
I got the dvd from Amazon back in the "Refer a Friend" days, so for the $, it was a good buy.
Old 07-08-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I prefer the shorter edition (I know, don't stone me please ).

I thought the 13-part edition was a little dragged out (and there are some redundancies between the episodes). The 2-hour version moves at a crisp pace and has more re-watch value for me.

Just my opinion... but I certainly hope that the full version does come out at some point so people have a choice.
Old 07-08-03, 09:41 PM

When I checked BestPrices.com each video was 60 minutes which would come out to 13 hours, but on imdb.com it reads as 343 minutes which comes out to around 6 hours...what's the deal?
Old 07-09-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been a 4 or 5 years since I watched the 13-parter, but I'm nearly certain that they were all a little less than 30 minutes long (which is what the IMDb says). I guess BestPrices just has incorrect info.
Old 07-15-03, 03:54 PM

BestPrices did not have incorrect info, I just got the box set yesterday and all of the tapes are approx. 60 minutes long, making IMDb wrong