Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Question about distribution rights for movies/DVDs

Old 07-07-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed while looking at PDL that it had a CTS, New Line, and Revolution Studios (I believe) logo on the spine. How is it determined who would release the title to DVD? By this, I mean why was it a Columbia Superbit instead of say a New Line Platinum Series (which I was hoping for for continuity purposes).

Is it simply whichever company has the most capital invested in the film? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think since PTA has done all of his other movies at new line, they wanted credit?
Old 07-08-03, 01:17 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its all determined in the contracts beforehand I'd wager.
Old 07-08-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fortunately I know what "PDL" and "PTA" stand for, but I think it's a good idea to curb your urge to use acronyms in a thread-starter!

(EDIT: Sorry, should have spelled it out. Punch-Drunk Love, Paul Thomas Anderson.)
Old 07-08-03, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, one thing I noticed was with the two Robert Zemeckis films released in 2000. Both "What Lies Beneath" and "Cast Away" were funded by Dreamworks and 20th Century Fox...WLB was a Dreamworks release and Cast Away a Fox release. I guess this might be something that happens semi often, especially when Dreamworks is involved. Ive noticed that there are rarely any movies that are just Dreamworks, they usually have some other major studio funding the project.
Old 07-08-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Movies these days are major expensives and in many cases, a single film could really hurt the cash flow for a studio if it flops. But sharing the cost really does make the difference. if it's a failure then they don't lose as much and if it's a hit then they might not get as much. Simple matters like that but more studio's would rather split the cost unless it's a for sure money maker. the logo part just shows up in the contracts.