Community
Search

The current "The Little Mermaid" DVD is TERRIBLE

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The current "The Little Mermaid" DVD is TERRIBLE

I have owned this disc since release day and up until yesterday have never watched it. I am aware of its' OOP status and sold an unopened copy of it on EBAY a little over a year ago (I won it in a contest)

Upon looking at the back of the dvd I noticed it was non-anamorphic but was not too put off by it figuring that at least it was OAR and since it has no extras and is on a dual-layered disc I also expected a very nice looking transfer....

It looks AWFUL. I've got an widescreen HD set, the 34XBR800, though being a small one, still shows great detail. The picture on this disc is an absolute mess. For starters, the EE is horrendous. There's pixelation all over the place. Overall, it just looks BLAH. This is a highly sought after disc and I feel sorry for those who don't know what they are getting themselves in for if they are paying close to 100 bucks for the disc.

My Lion King 2: Simba's Pride disc, which was also part of the limited issue release looks a LITTLE better but not by much. Namely, the EE is reduced but the pixelation problems remain. I also own Hercules and Mulan from the same limited issue line and am expecting similar problems with them. I have viewed both of them before and thought they looked fine but that was on a 14 inch television....

But why has disney placed The Little Mermaid on moratorium until 2008? This was a well recieved movie, not as much so as Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King but still well-liked! Why not give it a similar special edition treatment? Beauty and the Beast has an unfortunately lackluster transfer but still leagues better than The Little Mermaid was given. Judgement is still out on The Lion King dvd release since it is months away but I am expecting it to be pretty darn good. Why would Disney have made the claim that it's going to be gone until 2008 and shot itself in the foot in terms of potential profits?

Peter Pan has already been released twice as has Hercules. There are most likely several more like this though I can't think of them offhand. Why not do the same double dip with The Little Mermaid? Fans of the movie would be glad to purchase a dvd copy with a better transfer! Disney gets no money from collectors paying ridiculous amounts of money to people through Ebay for the disc....

Just some thoughts.
Old 07-07-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Because Disney always pulls selected movies for 8 years at a time... this was their VHS strategy too
Old 07-07-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

t’is best not to question the mystical ways of the mighty POS known as Eisner. You’ll just end up hurting your head for nothing (and who knows, he might put an evil curse on you).
Old 07-07-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's coming in 2005, not 2008, FYI.
Old 07-07-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
It will be a 2 disk special edition like Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, and the upcoming Lion King. Beginning next year Disney will release 2 of its classic animated films each year one in March and one in October as 2 disk special editions .
They want to release them all before HD becomes the norm and then release them again in HD format.
Old 07-07-03, 12:41 PM

Boring thread,give it up...take it or leave it from Disney.
Old 07-07-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be waiting. This is one of my daughter's faves.
Old 07-07-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just glad I have it on laserdisc.
Old 07-07-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
Me too! The CAV version.
Old 07-07-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NPE = No Sale

No Priest Erection
Old 07-07-03, 03:08 PM
Banned

No need to wait SCHMEGGA! Don't you want to purchase mine for cheap after all the glowing things I've said about it?

LOL to Darkside's post.
Old 07-07-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
Old 07-07-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LBPound
It's coming in 2005, not 2008, FYI.
listen to the ## man, he has all your disney dvd info.
Old 07-07-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
No need to wait SCHMEGGA! Don't you want to purchase mine for cheap after all the glowing things I've said about it?

LOL to Darkside's post.
I already have it. I meant the reissue in 2005.
Old 07-07-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
(slightly off-topic, and maybe even a threadcrap)

I recently watched this with my nieces, and I realized that it was really a pretty movie, compared to other Disney films (especially when Uncle Walt was at the helm.)

Some of the songs (IMHO) were fairly poor.

The heroine is disobedient and rebellious, makes a deal with an evil witch, and gets rewarded for it.

There were several plot holes, as well.

I am probably going to sell off my (OOP) copy of this version, and I don't think I will pick up the 2-disc set when it comes out.

It is questionable whether I will get many of the current Disney movies on DVD (1990s on...) Some of them are enjoyable, but few of them are really worthy of the title "Classic" like Sleeping Beauty & Snow White. Beauty & The Beast was good, but I feel Lion King is overrated, and Mulan, Hercules, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, Atlantis, & Treasure Planet are mediocre at best (If they were released by Don Bluth, etc., instead of Disney, most people wouldn't care about them.) To me, Disney's current films seem to be more about the $$$ than the story, as evidenced by the direct to video sequels.
Old 07-08-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by littlefuzzy
[B](slightly off-topic, and maybe even a threadcrap)
Your nutty. The trio of movies with songs by Howard Ashman & Alan Menken are the BEST Disney's probably ever gonna get. While Tim Rice and Elton John did very well with Lion King, they were no match for the great songs by Ashman and Menken.

The Little Mermaid Oscar Winner Best Music, Original Score
"Under the Sea" Oscar Winner Best Music, Song
"Part of Your World"
"Kiss the Girl"

Beauty and the Beast Oscar Winner Best Music, Original Score
"Be Our Guest"
"Beauty and the Beast" Oscar Winner Best Music, Song
"Something There"

Aladdin Oscar Winner Best Music, Original Score
"A Whole New World" Oscar Winner Best Music, Song
"One Jump Ahead"
"Friend Like Me"
"Prince Ali"

I checked, Hans Zimmer and Tim Rice/Elton John won the catagories for Lion King, but to be 3 for 3 (or 6 for 6) with Ashman and Menken is a feat no one has done since then.
Old 07-08-03, 10:33 AM

Anybody know is Aladdin will be released as a trilogy?
Old 07-08-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bluebomber
Anybody know is Aladdin will be released as a trilogy?
You know to speak properly English?

I am sure it will be like Beauty and the Beast where you buy the separately, but send away for a box.
Old 07-08-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To somewhat answer the original question of the poor quality of Little Mermaid, if you've been around this forum for a while, you might remember that originally Disney only put a half-hearted attempt into their DVD releases. Non-anamorphic, and the only special feature was "full color artwork on disc". Then they stick a ridiculously (radiculos) high MSRP on it. In the past few years, however, Disney has done a complete turnaround and really gotten behind the DVD format, as evidenced by their Platinum collection.
It's still way better than the old VHS copy.
Old 07-08-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
for the record--

ridiculously is correct
is = if (I think that was probably a keystroke error)

You will now be taken back to your regularly scheduled program already in progress..

Thank you...

Dr. Obvious
Old 07-08-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Old 07-09-03, 07:47 AM

I think most people are aware that the current The Little Mermaid disc was part of the big Disney animated classics "intro" into DVD that occurred from late October of 1999 through early January of 2000. During that 90 day period Disney released Pinocchio, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Mulan, Hercules, The Lion King 2, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book, and The Little Mermaid.

These discs were significant in that even though the DVD format began in mid-1997, these were the first animated Disney classics to make it to the format. (Disney had released the direct-to-video Beauty and the Beast:The Enchanted Christmas to the format the prior year, but that effort can hardly be classified as an animated classic.)

In any event, the current The Little Mermaid disc does sport a fine, new, DD 5.1 audio mix and a "passable" non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer. There are no extras of any kind. (Of course, being able to randomly access the songs in itself was a big "extra" in those days.) The initial MSRP was $34.95 (the same as all the discs released during this period.) However, about 18 months later, it was available for free with a pre-order of the first Disney Platinum Collection release, Snow White, from one of the Disney stores.

As the owner of a FPTV system, and as somebody who never owned LD, I can tell you that I have enjoyed the heck out of this release. It's a great movie, with great songs, and it's provided my daughter (who was just three when this was released in January 2000) and I many hours of enjoyment. It's at least 10 times better than the VHS release; especially when viewed on a FPTV system.

The movie is currently scheduled to be released as a two-disc Platinum Collection in March 2005.
Old 07-09-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

March 2005? Are you sure.. from what I gathered, The Little Mermaid was going to be released to IMAX screens Christmas of 2004, making the Platinum set a better canidate for October 2005.
Old 07-09-03, 09:00 AM

from what I gathered, The Little Mermaid was going to be released to IMAX screens Christmas of 2004, making the Platinum set a better candidate for October 2005
You could be right ... I'm a little hazy on the recently announced accelerated Platinum Collection release schedule.
Old 07-09-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alot of people are going to be bummed when the 2 disk version comes out and they see how bad these first set of DVDs from Disney are.

It really is not Disney's fault, most DVDs at that time where not the greatest, no one really knew DVD was going to take off like it did and the demand for high quality (HDTV and bigger screens) was going to kick in.

Once the studios saw the trend, most started pumping out above average DVDs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.