Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Great new site for downloading live music!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Link removed pending moderator approval-

Mods, can you email me or post a reply if it's ok to post a link to this site?

I just got done downloading 2 Led Zeppelin Shows. One from Earl's Court in 1975 and another from 1969 or so. Sounds really good. I also downloaded a Tool show from 2002. The files are huge though. The Zep show from Earl's court was 1300 meg or so!!!

So far I've seen shows from Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, Rage Against the Machine, Tool and tons of Dead shows. Check this place out if you are in to live music. You have to register to download. It's in the audio bittorrent site and you have to have downloaded bittorrent to download the files. Enjoy!

Last edited by Pillowhead; 07-05-03 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-05-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dead Thread Walking

Mostly because Bittorrent is pretty much a newer P2P site where you upload and download at the same time music. Even if it's a live show, unless the artist allows you to, you can't record the show.. Bootlegs in a sense. but thanks for the link. I'm sure folks should jump on it before it gets locked or something.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 07-05-03 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-06-03, 12:07 PM
Banned

I didn't see this thread before the link got removed, but from your description, I'm pretty sure I know where you are talking about. Wonderful isnt' it? It's quickly become my favorite forum. I actually just hosted my first torrent there (Phish 11-16-97, completely legal). It feels really good to give something back to the site after I've taken so many shows.
Old 07-07-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far I've seen shows from Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, Rage Against the Machine, Tool and tons of Dead shows.
do they have any good bands?
Old 07-07-03, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by turborobb
Old 07-07-03, 07:16 PM

is this site down right now? I haven't been able to get to it all day.
Old 07-07-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, it's been down since last night.
Old 07-07-03, 07:23 PM

darnit, I was only able to get 4 shows before it went down. Do you know of any other sites like this....for live stuff, I saw many today but I don't want to steal released stuff.
[email protected]
Old 07-07-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by turborobb
I didn't see any Bay City Rollers, Styx, Leif Garrett, or New Kids on the Block. I'll check again later when the site is back up.
Old 07-07-03, 11:31 PM
Banned

STG is down temporarilly. They had scheduled downtime for this morning to switch to a dedicated server for better performance and to add a gallery.

I have no idea why it is still down, but I'm not worried about it. It is a completely legitimate site with backing (don't ask me who, I don't know).

And yes, shows are downloaded in .shn or .flac format and can easily be decoded to .wav to burn onto audio discs.
Old 07-08-03, 01:36 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Bust
It feels really good to give something back to the site after I've taken so many shows.
By just continuing to seed a show after it completes instead of immediately closing the app is the best way to give back. Unfortunately, not enough people do this.

I guess the site's host got overloaded and blamed it on them( ), so the site owner went out and bought a dedicated server and hopes to be back up today. Now I'm not sure if he means he went out and bought a box or if he's doing a colocated deal. Hopefully this won't go like the one .cx site that's still down.

I doubt the link will be allowed here. While most things(audio at least) there are legal, and they seem to have cleaned things up, there's still an attitude that I don't think can be supported here. Basically if a band says something can't be recorded, they'll still spread it. Since the band's policy doesn't explicitly say that things(videos, IEM recordings for example) can't be spread(only that they can't be recorded), people feel like it's ok.

For example. from DMB's trading policy:

Taping is limited to audio-only, using only microphones. Wireless receivers are strictly prohibited.
From that, video recording and IEM recording is not allowed. Since you aren't allowed to tape it, common sense says that you also can't trade it. But since it doesn't explicitly say it, the people who run the site have the attitude that "'you can't blame me,' says the media man. I wasn't the one that came up with the plan. I just point my camera at what the people want to see, man it's a two way mirror and you can't blame me." In other words, somebody else taped it, can't erase that, so what's the harm in trading it?

There are BTs for videos and other recordings(like IEM recordings) from bands that don't allow videotaping(or recording of private conversations made over In Ear Monitors). There are DVDs being traded of bands that don't allow videotaping. Even though I think it's a great site and some of the DVDs are top notch, I think some of what's offered there goes against the bootleg policy of DVDTalk.

Last edited by AndyCapps; 07-08-03 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-08-03, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AndyCapps
By just continuing to seed a show after it completes instead of immediately closing the app is the best way to give back. Unfortunately, not enough people do this.
Agreed. But it felt different to create my own torrent of a show I had the .shn discs for and see that over 100 people now have that show in a couple days because I offered it up.

I guess the site's host got overloaded and blamed it on them( ), so the site owner went out and bought a dedicated server and hopes to be back up today. Now I'm not sure if he means he went out and bought a box or if he's doing a colocated deal. Hopefully this won't go like the one .cx site that's still down.
I know exactly what site you're talking about. I don't even check for it anymore. I used to think it was so cool to be able to download all the movies when they came out in theaters, but I have to admit, I never even sat through the whole thing on my computer. It was a great site for downloading high quality rips of tv shows though, but I'm sure you know about the other torrent site that is still kicking for these types of things.

I doubt the link will be allowed here. While most things(audio at least) there are legal, and they seem to have cleaned things up, there's still an attitude that I don't think can be supported here. Basically if a band says something can't be recorded, they'll still spread it. Since the band's policy doesn't explicitly say that things(videos, IEM recordings for example) can't be spread(only that they can't be recorded), people feel like it's ok.

For example. from DMB's trading policy:

From that, video recording and IEM recording is not allowed. Since you aren't allowed to tape it, common sense says that you also can't trade it. But since it doesn't explicitly say it, the people who run the site have the attitude that "'you can't blame me,' says the media man. I wasn't the one that came up with the plan. I just point my camera at what the people want to see, man it's a two way mirror and you can't blame me." In other words, somebody else taped it, can't erase that, so what's the harm in trading it?

There are BTs for videos and other recordings(like IEM recordings) from bands that don't allow videotaping(or recording of private conversations made over In Ear Monitors). There are DVDs being traded of bands that don't allow videotaping. Even though I think it's a great site and some of the DVDs are top notch, I think some of what's offered there goes against the bootleg policy of DVDTalk.
While I agree you are technically right regarding these issues, any of these bands could have that site shut down before they knew what happened to them. This is allowed in the community and the artists know very well that it goes on. Because they produce quality music and put on shows that you have to attend to "get", they know their album and ticket sales will never suffer because of this trade. It's one of the benefits of caring about your fans and the music instead of just spewing forth pure crap albums to make millions of dollars off brainwashed youths.

But I have no problem with not posting the link here. I'm sure that would cause mroe trouble than it's worth. The influx of new members on that site is annoying enough the way it is.

For example:

"This torrent just went up an hour ago, and I'm only getting 30 kB/s. Could you people PLEASE leave your windows open!!"

Old 07-08-03, 06:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Agreed. But it felt different to create my own torrent of a show I had the .shn discs for and see that over 100 people now have that show in a couple days because I offered it up.
Oh, absolutely. It's a neat feeling to help move 112GB to 160 people in 2-3 days.

But I have no problem with not posting the link here. I'm sure that would cause mroe trouble than it's worth. The influx of new members on that site is annoying enough the way it is.

For example:

"This torrent just went up an hour ago, and I'm only getting 30 kB/s. Could you people PLEASE leave your windows open!!"

I'd like to set fire to those people. Usually it's something like:

"This is crap. I'm only getting 5K, show some love and open some windows."

To which someone responds:

"Uh, the torrent has only been up an hour. There's 30 people downloading, and only 1 seed. Relax or come back when there are more seeds."
Old 07-08-03, 07:20 PM
Banned

I have no patience for these people. I have the same user name there, and you'll frequently see me being a total smart-ass (like the mods around here aren't used to that ) to the morons on STG.

I refuse to let people go on about their daily business without knowing how annoying they are. Does that make me just as annoying? Perhaps, but not to me.
Old 07-09-03, 07:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Great new site for downloading live music!

<small>
Originally posted by Pillowhead
Mods, can you email me or post a reply if it's ok to post a link to this site?
</small>Currently I've nothing really to add to this, or to the explanatory sticky atop Page One of this forum or the earlier discussions concerning the site in question.

As the point should new be clear I'll close the thread as we are coming close to straying on to dangerous ground!

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk

Last edited by benedict; 07-09-03 at 07:04 PM.