Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there any really simple games for X-box?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-04-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I just got an X-box so that we'd have something fun to do during the hot summer. The only experience either of us have with video games is playing Centipede at the mini-golf place near our house.

We got these games: Sega Gt 2002, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Tiger Woods 2003.

So far we've done nothing but crash or go really slow on the Sega GT, the golf has been ok but the putting has been horrible and confusing, and Buffy is actually kind of fun but you have to remember so many different options with the buttons and that's not going too well. Also, we have been stuck in the courtyard for about 2 days. We've tried every door and nothing. Very confusing and we may just have to start over.

Are there any REALLY simple, fun games to get the hang of the system with? Maybe arcade like? Not only would it be good for us to have some simple games, but when we've played the games we've already got there is more stress from trying to learn than actual fun. With some simple, simple games we could learn slowly, take our time, and also pop in the easier games when we just want to enjoy the system without thinking.

Any suggestions for games like this or are they all going to take time like the ones we have? Also, are there websites that have tutorials of games? I did a search and found cheat codes, but we're not looking for that. Not for a long while. Just something that might walk you through games to help you learn. The instructions don't help much.

Sorry if this seems sad, we're just not good at this. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-04-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just ordered tetris online. you may also want to try Namco Museum. also, i think midway will release sort of an old arcade game pak w/ games like robotron.

try gamefaqs.com if you need hints w/ games like buffy.

the situation is kind of funny-sad lol
Old 07-04-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
I don't know your financial situation, so maybe this will help.

The GameCube has tons of "simple" games - Mario Party, Animal Crossing, maybe even PikMin, that are very easy. If you can afford it, this is the way to go. These games should be in the $20's and $30's by now. For $150 you get the system and the GBA player, which opens up the GBA library which has tons of simple games, one of the newest ones being Wario Ware, Inc.

I have an XBOX and I'm still waiting for games to come out that I want to buy for it.
Old 07-04-03, 06:19 PM

DOA Volleyball is a fairly simple game. Once you get the hang of the timing, its pretty much played using only 2 buttons. Serious Sam is a mindless FPS, lots of fun multiplayer, a very very low learning curve on that one, theres a shoot button, a change weapon button, and jump. SSX Tricky is lots of fun, and a lot easier than racing games like Sega GT, if youre looking to race against each other.
Old 07-04-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by menaz
DOA Volleyball is a fairly simple game. Once you get the hang of the timing, its pretty much played using only 2 buttons. Serious Sam is a mindless FPS, lots of fun multiplayer, a very very low learning curve on that one, theres a shoot button, a change weapon button, and jump. SSX Tricky is lots of fun, and a lot easier than racing games like Sega GT, if youre looking to race against each other.
We love the graphics on the Sega GT the most, but all we do is fall behind and smash into the walls. Honestly, don't even know what the heck to do about it. But it is cool watching the race afterwards. The guy who sold it to me said SSX Tricky was complicated with a lot of switching buttons, but you think it wouldn't be hard? We were loooking at it. We wanted a surf game, but heard that was hard too. Damn. And we don't know anyone who plays that can teach us. We'll look at the Volleyball and the other ones that you metioned. Thanks.

There is no way we're gonna buy another system now. Maybe we made the wring choice, but we barely have time for the one. Thanks, though.

I'm gonna look at that website tonight and this weekend. We really like Buffy too. But we've been in the courtyard for 2 days and none of the doors open. I think Buffy may starve if we don't so something soon.
Old 07-04-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SSX Tricky - only hard when doing combos of the more difficult tricks. Otherwise it is very easy.
Fusion Frenzy - a "mini game" based game similar to Mario Party on the Cube.
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 - again like SSX, gets more difficult as you go but has a nice tutorial and goals early on are very easy.
Old 07-04-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by edstein
SSX Tricky - only hard when doing combos of the more difficult tricks. Otherwise it is very easy.
Fusion Frenzy - a "mini game" based game similar to Mario Party on the Cube.
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 - again like SSX, gets more difficult as you go but has a nice tutorial and goals early on are very easy.
Is the surf game similar to Tricky and Pro Skater...easier, the same or harder?

We actually both Surf, so we thought it might be fun. But heard it was hard and didn't want it to sit around while we're learning the other games.

I imagine the NHL 2004 will be difficult, right? That is also something I wanted as well as the New Buffy game and the new X-Files game.
Old 07-04-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SSX Tricky is a game that you can work up to. It's easy to run down the mountain and do little tricks. Then as you get better just go for the bigger jumps and work up to the bigger tricks. It really is a fun game.

This can work on the Tony Hawk games as well. Just ease into these games and I think you'll have better luck and enjoy them far more.

Last edited by MasterofDVD; 07-04-03 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 10:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I just wanted to point out that Pikmin is NOT an easy game.

The Tiger Woods game you already have is pretty easy to play, IMHO.

While I wouldn't call it an easy game, the X-box game with the most intuitive control system is Halo by a long shot.
Old 07-04-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like "young" said: Tetris, Namco Museum, and Midway's Arcade Treasures (ships 11/03/03) would be easy pickups.

As for Buffy, you don't need to start over, that's not going to get you through the level, turn on the options for hints and that may help. If not, find a walkthrough, and just read the part you need help with and try not to read anything else.

As for Sega GT, I think it's just a matter of putting a little time into the game and getting used to the controls and the way the car you're using handles. Driving around circular tracks could help you get used to it. Your car may not be fast enough to race on certain levels until you either modify it or buy a new car.

If you're trying out the season mode, start out with the Peugeot 206 2.0 S16, it can get you through Stage 1 of Season 1 with stock parts. Keep in mind, the cars you win from racing "CANNOT" be bought, so if you sell them, the only way to get them again is to start a new game. Once you get the feel of the game, I think you'll get hooked.
Old 07-04-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Isn't Mad Dash pretty simple? And cheap to boot.
Old 07-04-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gideon68
Like "young" said: Tetris, Namco Museum, and Midway's Arcade Treasures (ships 11/03/03) would be easy pickups.

As for Buffy, you don't need to start over, that's not going to get you through the level, turn on the options for hints and that may help. If not, find a walkthrough, and just read the part you need help with and try not to read anything else.

As for Sega GT, I think it's just a matter of putting a little time into the game and getting used to the controls and the way the car you're using handles. Driving around circular tracks could help you get used to it. Your car may not be fast enough to race on certain levels until you either modify it or buy a new car.

If you're trying out the season mode, start out with the Peugeot 206 2.0 S16, it can get you through Stage 1 of Season 1 with stock parts. Keep in mind, the cars you win from racing "CANNOT" be bought, so if you sell them, the only way to get them again is to start a new game. Once you get the feel of the game, I think you'll get hooked.
Thanks. I'll try out the Sega GT again with the car you spoke of.

Any chance you know why I can't get Buffy out of the courtyard and what to do? She got an electric keycard from Willow but it doesn't work without power. Then she killed some vamps and ended up in the courtyard. She killed a few more vamps and now there seems no way out of the courtyard. We were really having fun with that too.

Yes, the golf seems pretty easy but the putting isn't at all and that spoils it. The tips aren't right about distance and it's actually not clear to us how to get the putt lined up with distance and break, because you move it to where the caddy says to , say, 3 ft 11 inches or something and it isn't even close to being right.

It's kind of sad being to 30 something's with a 6 month old and we can't figure out how to play our X-Box games.

I am gonna get the arcade games right away. I wish that there were more. Do you know whether the Surf game is pretty much the same as the snowboarding one? We'd like to get the arcade games on 1 regular game and we'll get the SSX Tricky from the suggestions here OR the surf game if it's basically the same concept and difficulty on water instead of snow.

The new Buffy, X-Files and the 2004 hockey (although there seem to be like 5 choices) are planned in the upcoming months and that's plenty of our money spent for the time being.

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-04-03, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First one that comes to mind is Fusion Frenzy, it's a series of mini-games that you can play w/ little instruction (usually just a couple of buttons and it'll tell you which ones before the game starts IIRC). Spyhunter seems fairly simple but I just started playing it so I'm not sure how complex/difficult it'll get. Blinx the Time Sweeper seems pretty simple so far too.
Old 07-05-03, 12:30 AM

I think Spy Hunter would make them want to pull their hair out. That game can get pretty frustrating at times, if patience isnt one of your gaming qualities.
Old 07-05-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gideon68

Wow, we got the car you suggested and finished 3rd! Smashed it up a bit and won no cash, but it's a huge step forward. The other 2 tracks look much harder. I saw that it said we won a car...what should we do with it?
Old 07-05-03, 01:56 AM

The best that I can do is give a list of all the games that my 6yr old daughter loves. Some of them I play quite often.

Mechassault
Fusion Frenzy
Crash Bandicoot
Arctic Thunder (snowmobile racing)
Serious Sam
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
ATV quad power racing
Old 07-05-03, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congratulations: You have several options from here:

You can keep racing that same track to get better and try to win money to upgrade your car or buy new cars. Keep in mind: you will need to replace certain parts of your car because of wear and tear. (You can go to the parts shop to view the status of your car, what parts need replacing, and how much new parts are).

You can try the event races to win trophies and cars. I recommend winning the car prizes in event mode before finishing Season 1, because they may not be available when you get to Season 2. The "Event Prizes" are affected by the Season you're in.

I haven't played it for months, but if you won the "Mazda Cosmo Sport," I don't remember ever using it. It's in your garage if you want to try it out. Keep in mind: if you sell it, you can't buy it back. What I did was keep all the cars I won in the garage, only using the ones I liked. I bought all the other cars in the shop and put those in the garage too, for a total of 125 cars. I probably only used at the max, 15 different cars to get through the game.

As for Buffy: Not exactly sure where you are in the level, but have you gotten to the second floor? Walk around the courtyard until you trigger a "cutscene," and watch it to see where you need to go, from there you should be ok. I don't want to say too much as you said you wanted to try to get through it.

Don't worry about being 30 something and not having the skills, games have become more difficult than "old school" games. You'll gain the skills as you keep playing. Just don't give up.
Old 07-05-03, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd recommend Fuzion Frenzy, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, and if you don't mind fighting games Dead or Alive 3 is pretty fun and you can just mash buttons.
Old 07-05-03, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dolphinboy, no recs for you, but your pain is my pain. My wife and I bought an Xbox a month ago and we're having a blast. I'm coming from old school games and most recently PC games. The thing that drives me insane is having to start levels over and over and over instead of having an option to save mid-level... at least with Gunvalkyrie that I'm playing now. I enjoy this game a lot, but I'm about to throw the towel in because I don't want to keep spending 15 minutes trying to get back to a previous spot where I died. Game saves take the fun and challenge out of games? Then why not just have NO saves where you have to play the whole freakin' game without stopping I would have never played Tomb Raider on my PC without mid-level saves.

If you think about it, the makers of these games might make MORE money with more save opportunities because people could get through the games faster and go buy more.

Gideon68, you mentioned turning on option for hints... is this in a lot of Xbox games or just with Buffy?
Old 07-05-03, 11:49 AM

gamefaqs.com is the answer to all your Buffy problems. It will have several walkthroughs to choose from that will lead you through the game.

To get out of the courtyyard you must go up some stairs on the left side then jump acroos to a ledge/walkway on the right. Walk around the walkway and you'll see the door you need to go through. Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sega Soccer Slam is a pretty fun/mindless arcade soccer sports game.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is a fun hack and slash game, very straightfoward to play but not easy, but the game mechanics doesn't really get much simpler than that!

Panzer Dragoon Orta is a fun shooter, the only hard thing for beginners is learning to move the aiming reticule and changing viewpoint, takes a few sittings but the game is beautiful and pretty easy until the later stages.

Or you can get Namco's arcade classics, those games are easy to play and the only challenge is your high score!
Old 07-05-03, 12:44 PM

ohh, I remember that cursed courtyard too. I was stuck on there for about an hour also. nick-tdi is right, you need to make your way to the second floor.
Old 07-05-03, 02:06 PM

I generally like sports games, such as Blitz and Slugfest, very comical and fun and not difficult to pick up. I also suggest Pac-Man world 2, it has the old version of pac man as well. I must say that I tried Transworld Surf, and it sucked really bad, I spent an hour on the thing and still can't figure it out.
Old 07-05-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi

Gideon68, you mentioned turning on option for hints... is this in a lot of Xbox games or just with Buffy?
Buffy is the only game I have that I've seen this with.
Old 07-05-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about Halo? Halo is actually a very easy and fun game to play, if you play it at a lower difficulty setting. Also, Blinx the Time Sweeper is a fun and easy game if you like platformers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.