Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

'John Denver and the Muppets - Rocky Mountain Holiday' - finally!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 11:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Saw this mentioned over at DVD File. Wow! - took awhile, but I am glad I can finally add this to my video collection. Too bad its coming out at the end of August since my sister would love a copy and her birthday is earlier in the month.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/07_02.html
Old 07-03-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
As much as I'm NOT a John Denver fan, I really like this show.

I'll definately consider getting this but one thing confused/concerned me. Specs say it's mono. Way back when, I had the LP (and later the CD) of the show and it was definately stereo. Hopefully those specs are wrong because this would sound wonderful with a nice 5.1 remix.
Old 07-03-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume this is the one they would play every Christmas back in the early 80's. I would love to watch this annually, and was very disappointed when it stopped airing. I've already bought the first 15 discs from Time-Life, and I will definitely get this one too.
Old 07-03-03, 12:16 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
{ Way back when, I had the LP (and later the CD) of the show and it was definately stereo. Hopefully those specs are wrong because this would sound wonderful with a nice 5.1 remix. [/B]
While the LP or CD soundtrack was in stereo, the TV show was probably not as there was no stereo TV when this show first aired. Soundtrack recordings are usually not taken directly
from the TV show but are recorded separately . Of course a stereo soundtrack may exist for this show but just because there was a stereo LP does not mean there is.
Old 07-03-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
very, very

will fit in well with the rest of my Muppet collection..
Old 08-27-03, 12:37 PM

Maybe I'm just an imbecile, but this is not the Christmas special I thought it was. In fact, I don't ever recall seeing this show before. Fortunately it was only a Netflix rental, but I'm glad I didn't buy it.
This show is John Denver and the Muppet gang camping out in the woods and singing some songs. I own a lot of Muppet DVDs, but this show is pretty low caliber - very little of the usual humor, and even the songs were mediocre.

Just make sure you know what you're getting before picking this up. If that's what you want, then great. But if you're like me expecting something else, you'll be disappointed.
Old 08-27-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I had it confused with "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together" also. That's much, much better. The soundtrack is a classic. Hopefully it'll get a DVD release soon.
Old 08-27-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Ah, thanks for the info.
Old 08-27-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by William Fuld
I had it confused with "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together" also. That's much, much better. The soundtrack is a classic. Hopefully it'll get a DVD release soon.
That is exactly what I thought this dvd was.... haven't picked it up yet... maybe I'll pass on this one.

MATT
Old 08-28-03, 10:06 AM

If you want your 'piggy-pudding' (fans of the CD will remember this) - you'll have to wait. I have tried for the last few years to contact someone at Muppet Central about a possible DVD release of "A Christmas Together" to no avail. However, one of the Henson children did send me a personal email recently that tried to say that "Rocky Mountain Holiday" was the same special. It's not. The 1979 "A Christmas Together" was the best and was the one most of us remember (and which resulted in the best-selling John Denver and the Muppets "A Christmas Together" CD).

I wonder if the video quality of the 1979 special is not up to par - I can't imagine that they would hold a great special like that with such potential for sales. Very few people I know (even those who aren't fans of the Muppets or John Denver) can listen to the "A Christmas Together" CD without being touched by the wonderful music and great sense of humor throughout. Here's to hoping there's a great release of the 1979 special someday soon!
Old 08-28-03, 12:01 PM

According to the two major Muppet fan sites, toughpigs.com and muppetcentral.com, the "other" special, "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together" is supposed come out on November 4th. No place has it for pre-order yet, though...

Also, "John Denver and the Muppets: Rocky Mountain Holiday" is edited. It's apparently missing a scene where John Denver cures Rowlf's hiccups by taking him for an airplane ride. Draw your own conclusions about why it was removed...

And finally, I don't think I've seen this mentioned on these boards yet, next week a DVD with most of the Muppets' appearances on the Ed Sullivan show is coming out. It's called "Muppets Magic from the Ed Sullivan Show", and you can read a review of it at Muppet Central: http://www.muppetcentral.com/article...agic_dvd.shtml

--Scott McGuire
Old 08-28-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wow.

thanks for the heads up Scott!