Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Freedom Force, this game is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Freedom Force, this game is awesome!

So let me first say I am a comic book/superhero junky. When this first came out, and was getting all those great reviews, I ran out and bought it. The problem was I was a strickly console gamer and couldn't get down with the controls(Not that they were bad, I just wasn't used to it). So I stuck this game on the shelf and left it at that.

Cut to a year later. I recently bought NBA Street Vol. 2 and Zelda, which are both fun, but I just haven't been able to get lost in either of those games. Bored with those games I reinstall this gem and 10 hours later, I'm in heaven! This is one of the best games I've ever played. It's funny, clever, challenging witout cheating, and just a ball to play. I really love how tense things can get when you're managing your team. You have El Diablo blowing up buildings, Man-Bot healing people, Minute Man knocking dudes senseless, and Bullet taking out the lesser baddies. Theres so much going on, but the balance is just right so that I don't feel overwhelmed. This makes me wonder what other great PC games I may be missing out on.

Any one else into this game? Any good single player mods out there(especially ones with DC or Marvel Characters)? What are some other PC games that are like Freedom Force, or at least control like this game? Do I ask to many questions?
Old 07-03-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 309 Posts
I agree, the game is really fun. There are a few mod sites out there, I forget the addresses, tho. Try www.myfreedomforce.com I think that is the offcial site, they have links to mod sites or maybe even a few mods of their own.
Old 07-03-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, great game. I had heard they were going to do a couple sequels based on comic book (-style) eras, since FF is '60s, but I haven't heard much since.
Old 07-03-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts
I know there are several superhero games out on the market... what kind of game is this? Is the interface more like say, the sims, or first person, or what?

Also, is this the one that Marvel Comics is suing to get rid of all Marvel character "skins"?
Old 07-03-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fujishig
I know there are several superhero games out on the market... what kind of game is this? Is the interface more like say, the sims, or first person, or what?
Er... hmm. Think zoomed-out third person team Grand Theft Auto 3. Only you're enforcing the law, not breaking it.
Old 07-03-03, 07:56 PM

Yeah, this game is a lot of fun in single player. The dialogue and art are so wonderfully Kirbyesque, and the missions are all pretty interesting. It's fun to come up with teams of characters whose powers complement each other.

I wish they had given us more animations for the included meshes, though. Some of the meshes don't have kick animations, so if you came across a skin of, say, Elektra that was created for one of these meshes, you wouldn't be able to give her a kick, and you'd have to resort to just giving her punches or something.

Any word on a sequel or expansion pack? I'm dying to play more, but I'm under the impression that this game didn't sell very well.
Old 07-03-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That Sean Connery sound alike is hillarious
Old 07-05-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen this game dirt cheap at Circuit City. I was thinking about picking it up. I'm mostly a console gamer and haven't really enjoyed PC games with a few exceptions. But with the comic book theme this sounds like it might be cool.

What kind of combat system is it? Turn based RPG ( like final fantasy) or Real Time ( like just about every console action/adventure game)?

There's another game coming next year called City Of Heros which sounds similar. That might be worth checking out too.
Old 07-05-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I said it in the old thread when this game first came out and i'll say it again - Sea Urchin rules

I absolutely loved this game and played it to death beating it several times just to play different characters all the way through. I can only hope they follow through and do come out with the 2 sequels they mentioned over a year ago.

Also, City of Heroes is going to be a MMORPG - which i can't stand but somepeople might be into. Very different from FF.
Old 07-05-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's real time. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart for about $12. Definitely worth a look if you haven't played it.
Old 07-06-03, 03:01 AM

Loved this game, Boredsilly, thanks for starting the topic! This game was criminally overlooked (according to sales #'s) and I hype it whenever I can. Believe it or not, there is not even a close 2nd when it comes to cool superhero games for the PC, this game is it and we're lucky to have it!

Just my opinion, but City of Heroes does not look like it's going to cut it. PC Gamer just did an article on the 100+ online games and this one does not look like it will stand out. BTW, PC Gamer seems to be on a personal crusade in support of Freedom Force, they hype it just about every issue, yes!
Old 07-07-03, 10:56 AM

Yes, using the Zapper Light Gun to shoot all of the bad guys in this game is very fun.

Old 07-07-03, 11:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Finally a topic that get's me to delurk after I've been coming here for like 3 or 4 years.

Freedom Force is a fun game and a great bargain at $12 bucks (I even read it's available in a bundle with 3 other games for around $20). My.freedomforce.com bit the dust a while back, but Irrational Games (the delevopers) has an active site up at www.freedomfans.com
. But the real meat is the fan run site at http://freedomreborn.net . It's extremely active and you'll find links to new mods (DC, Marvel, and others), skin, character meshes, game updates, new FX, and new powers posted there. Currently there are about a thousand meshes (different characters) available, lots with different animations (including more kicking),and a load of single player mods.

There's plenty of life still left in Freedom Force, you've just got to know where to look.

But that Freedom Force NES game (no relation) is dead dead dead. Although my 6 year old plays it from time to time (yeah, I have my old lightgun, wanna make something of it?)
Old 07-07-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks toonview, this is exactly what i was looking for. Now just to tell my family I won't see them until september and quite my job.
Old 07-07-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by marioxb
Yes, using the Zapper Light Gun to shoot all of the bad guys in this game is very fun.

lol, different game
Old 07-07-03, 08:58 PM

Thanks for posting the link, Toonview. Nice to see that they have voicepacks (I don't want The Flash to have Bullit's accent).
Old 07-07-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...931&pfp=BROWSE

Worth a look for those that don't own any.. not a bad deal for $20 tho Freedom Force is the best of the bunch.
Old 07-08-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah that is available for like $18 at Wal-Mart. It's a nice collection. If BB has it for $19.99 (like most stores), you can use the $5 off coupon and get the 3 pack for like $14.99.

sweet deal
Old 07-08-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RichC2
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...931&pfp=BROWSE

Worth a look for those that don't own any.. not a bad deal for $20 tho Freedom Force is the best of the bunch.
Actually C&C:R was a pretty good game multiplayer. The single player was a little tedious and dull but the multiplayer was a lot of fun with the vehicles.
Old 07-08-03, 08:37 PM

I just downloaded and played the demo. The tutorial mission was cool and fun. The other level was fun too, but it seems like it might be a little overwhelming trying to control all four characters. I know you can pause it, but is that how you play? I ask, because I tried using all four, but eventually just used one and left the others behind. Maybe there is something I am missing, because it looks like a really fun game, but I don't know about trying to use the whole squad at once. Any advice guys?
Old 07-08-03, 09:01 PM

Yes, I generally pause, give each member a new order if needed, then unpause. That's really the most efficient way to play. If you treat it like an RTS, with no pausing, your characters will probably get killed off pretty quickly.

There are times when you really need to use multiple characters at once to support each other...you can't always rely on that one strong character. For example, use Man-Bot as a power battery for Microwave, who uses his Genetic Damage power to make an enemy vulnerable to bashing, so that Minuteman can beat him down.
Old 07-08-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What areacode said, treating this like a rts will not get you very far. I actually like to treat it like a quasi turn based strategy game (at least on your end, the computer won't wait for your move). On a typical mission I will pause the game, direct each one of the characters to a task, then sit back and enjoy the action. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Old 07-09-03, 10:20 AM

$20 for Renegade and Freedom Force is a steal. Like xmiyux said, the single player aspect of Renegade was pretty boring, but I had a lot of fun with multiplayer.

I need to get back to playing Freedom Force. I downloaded a JLA mod awhile ago, but didn't really have the time to play it. Now that I have some more free time on my hands, I'll give it another look.
Old 07-10-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts
Just got this game yesterday, in the four-pack at Walmart. Buyer beware, however... no manual for FF, and the CDs were pretty much all out of their slipcovers when I opened the box. Ah well, great deal, even if that "Earth and Beyond" game proves to be unplayable.

Anyone know what the system specs are for this? It doesn't seem too graphics intensive, but the sound skips frequently on my machine, and for some reason I can't get to the second campaign mission. I'm stuck in that limbo where you can choose to recruit characters, and I click on the "next campaign" button and nothing happens.

Just a warning... this is the game that Marvel is going after. They told skindex to cease and desist making skins of any Marvel characters, and I'm sure they'll go after other big skin sites now. So if you want Marvel skins, go get 'em now...

http://198.65.99.89/forums/showthrea...t=marvel+games
Old 07-10-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, did you see this bit?

Freedom Force was the first superhero game of it's kind to hit the shelves, Cryptic Studios' City of Heroes is slated to arrive in stores in early July, while a Freedom Force sequel is in the works as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.