Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Liz Phair EP on her official website (which should please her old fans)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Just saw this on Billboard.com. And thought it was fitting to post given all the Liz bashing around here. I hope her old fans can somehow get their hands on this. Since they obviously won't be buying the new album. At the very least, it should give them hope that Liz's latest "style" will probably not be permanent.

Fans who purchased a copy of Liz Phair's new self-titled Capitol album can download an exclusive EP titled "comeandgetit" from a secure site. The five-track EP is available as a single download from a secure section of Phair's official Web site, which will be unlocked when a purchased copy of "Liz Phair" is inserted into the computer's CD-ROM drive.

The EP comprises five unreleased tracks recorded during the sessions for "Liz Phair" -- "Jeremy Engle," "Bouncer's Conversation," "Fine Again," "Hurricane Cindy" and "Shallow Opportunities" -- but the artist says that the new tracks are much more stripped-down and informal than the polished album.

"I'm really excited about this," she said in a statement. "The songs on the EP have a totally different vibe from the record and show a different side of my song writing which will be familiar to old fans whose support has meant a lot to me over the years and hopefully will draw new fans deeper into my music."

-- Troy Carpenter, N.Y.
Old 07-02-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought it and her website will only let me listen to it. I'm pissed because I can't download it.

It is good and more like older Liz Phair music.

Anyone know how to get the thing to download instead of just playing?

Maybe the links for downloading were broken or something.
Old 07-02-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
There are download and stream links. The download link automatically starts up Windows Media Player, but it is saving it to your HD. You can always "right-click save" and save it to wherever you want to without going through WMP.

That's what I did. Then, I converted it to wav format, seperated the 5 songs and burned it to a CD. 2 Liz CD's for the price of 1

The songs are really good and closer to what many fans were probably expecting. I'm thinking this is some of the stuff that she submitted to the label last year but ended up scrapping.
Old 07-02-03, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New Liz Phair EP on her official website (which should please her old fans)

Originally posted by Daytripper
Just saw this on Billboard.com. And thought it was fitting to post given all the Liz bashing around here. I hope her old fans can somehow get their hands on this. Since they obviously won't be buying the new album...

Fans who purchased a copy of Liz Phair's new self-titled Capitol album can download an exclusive EP titled "comeandgetit" from a secure site. The five-track EP is available as a single download from a secure section of Phair's official Web site, which will be unlocked when a purchased copy of "Liz Phair" is inserted into the computer's CD-ROM drive.
As you note, it's going to be difficult for her "old fans" who don't want to buy the CD to hear the EP, seeing as you need to buy the new CD. Makes me wonder how well the EP would do if it were released separately -- perhaps not so badly.
Old 07-02-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious, how long is the commercial CD? What I'm wondering, is there enough room left on it for all the EP tracks? If so, they should have just inlcuded them on the CD and not make you go through all the hoops.

-Gunshy