Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playing Video Games on a Projection TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-03, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playing Video Games on a Projection TV

My friend has told me playing video games on a projection TV can harm the screen long-term. I have a feeling he may be mis-informed. Is there any truth to this?
Old 07-01-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you read the first page of every game manual, you will find a warning about playing on projection TVs. This is because static images (that are common on video games) can cause permanent burn-in of the image on the TV.

This occurs with CRT-based projection TVs. You don't have to worry about this with front projectors or DLP TVs or regular direct-view CRT TVs.

Some people say that after they properly calibrate their CRT RPTV and vary the source material, they can avoid burn-in. Others say that even intermittent display of the same image for short periods, over a long period of time in the same area of the screen can cause burn-in over time.

Basically it's up to you whether you want to risk it or not. Personally I don't like the idea of risking it, and I want to play games on my TV without worrying about burn-in, so I own a direct-view CRT TV.
Old 07-01-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tell your friend to have a little backbone...

The only real problem that occurs is when you have a static image on-screen for hours and hours at a time - such as a power metre, health bar, mini-map etc...

This could possibly "burn-in" to your screen if left sitting for long periods of time - as will logos from TV stations...

However, I've played video games on my projection set and never had any problem with it - I know it always tells you not to play video games on a projection set (usually in your video game manual) - but I think it's just scare tactics so you don't sue them if you screw up your tv set by playing Pac-Man for a week solid and find the maze doesn't dissapear when you turn off your set...
Old 07-01-03, 05:04 PM

Does this "burn-in" only occur if you leave the system running with nobody playing for prolonged periods or can this occur randomly at any time?
Old 07-01-03, 05:12 PM

I've had my Sony for 6 yrs. and have had my kids and kids friends leave NES and SNES games on pause for hours and have never had any problems.

I do believe that the brightness (sharpness could also) setting on your tv can affect whether you get burn in or not. I usually keep mine a little over half on the adjustment.
Old 07-01-03, 05:59 PM

I have a rear projection t.v. and have been playing my video games on it for a while. My friend who was a manager of the t.v. department at Best Buy told me it's fine as long as you do it for short periods of time. If you play a game with a health bar, score board or any other static image for a long period of time, you are risking burn in. He told me about 2 hours max at a time with games with static images. Now for the really bad part, if you do have a burn in problem, store and manufacture warranties will not cover them and it's very expensive to replace the screen.
Old 07-01-03, 07:39 PM

biggy burn in occurs when you leave a static image on the screen for prolonged periods of time (how long is prolonged will prolly vary from tv to tv) That image can come from any source, a dvd player, vcr, game system, anything that is just left on the screen and doesn't move will eventually give you problems. The general consensus seems to be if you're gonna play games on an rptv, you prolly wanna keep your play time down to a couple hours or so at a time.

as for me i held on to my old sony crt when i upraded so i just play games on that and watch movies on the new set.
Old 07-01-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the same risk as playing letterboxed DVD's constantly on your RPTV and burning in the bars. The risk is small but there. Lower the contrast and vary your on-screen images to minimize. I play long RPG's like FFX, Wild Arms 3, etc. and have not had a problem.
Old 07-02-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been playing my Xbox, PS2, and Dreamcast on my 65" Mits for three years now with no problems at all. A bonus with the Xbox is if it sits idle for a while it will dim itself. Nice job Microsoft.
Old 07-02-03, 05:32 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

johic, just to let you know, burn in can happen on a direct view crt set as well, it is harder to cause then on a RPTv, but it can happen, I Know, I had an old 32" set I was giving to my brother, so I played Vice City on it nonstop at 100% contrast(which I am sure yours is not at) and within 2 weeks, the map was burned in.
Old 07-02-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No burn ins with the new DLPs.... I am just going with what they (manufacturers) say, so don't shoot the messenger!
Old 07-02-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Corky Roxbury, burn-in on direct-view CRTs does not happen anymore. It used to happen on old TVs and computer monitors (like your old 32" set), but current CRT technology is much better than it used to be, and burn-in does not occur on recent sets. If you recall, many years ago screen savers were necessary on computer monitors to avoid burn-in. These days screen savers are no longer necessary because of better CRT tubes.

Rear projection CRTs are still susceptible to burn-in though, because they use smaller scan guns at a higher light intensity, compared to direct-view CRTs. But if you properly set the brightness and contrast, you great reduce the chance of burn-in.

You shouldn't be using your TV at 100% contrast. Not only does it shorten the life of your tube, but it also distorts the image. You get a blooming effect on images when you run at high contrast. I highly recommend that all TV owners calibrate their TV settings with a calibration disc from Avia, Video Essentials, or Sound & Vision. Without proper calibration, you will see distorted images and incorrect colors. Even if you have just a 20" TV, at least calibrate it with the Sound & Vision DVD. It's only $20, and it is well worth the price. I see Zelda Wind Waker demo on display at stores, and I see it on improperly calibrated TVs. The colors are all wrong in the game, and it looks horrible compared to my TV.
Old 07-02-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played Atari Adventure on a 120" front projection last night. I'm going to hook up my PC and play GTA Vice City and Madden 2003 this weekend.

I don't know if front projection suffers from burn-in, but if it does it will go away next time I change the bulb.
Old 07-02-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

front projectors and DLP sets DO NOT have any possibility of burn-in.
Old 07-02-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know if you can play light gun games with a DLP TV? I somehow doubt it but just want to know for sure
Old 07-02-03, 12:29 PM
Suspended

I think the real risk is watching a station with ticker bars or logo bugs on the screen. I think a lot of people that left 9-11 coverage on all day with their RPTV's suffered burn in. Setting your TV to the proper levels (factory presets are set WAY too high usually) will greatly reduce any risk of burn in.
Old 07-02-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

light gun games only work on direct-view CRTS. and with a few exceptions, they don't work on EDTV and HDTV direct-view CRTs. which is why I have a 20" SDTV next to my 34" HDTV.
Old 07-02-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Keep your contrast and brightness down (take it off Torch mode) and you should be fine. Calibrating is the best advice.

My friends and I played Halo for hours at a time over the course of a weekend and I've had no problems with burn-in on my Toshiba 50H82.
Old 07-03-03, 02:27 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone have experience with Hitachi RPTV's? and games?

I JUST got a 53swx12B yesterday and will soon be playing games on it.

Any advice on tweaking it to avoid burn-in?
Old 07-03-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I have worried a litte with the GBA player, which seems to have a static frame, but nothing so far. I don't play for hours on end anyway.

Live fast or die!!!
Old 07-03-03, 10:07 PM

hey team rancid for ANY rptv (and hell for crts too) definately turn down the contrast and picture setting when you get your set. Out of the factory they usually have those settings cranked up to the max which is one thing you do not want. With contrast and picture settings that high your set will be especially vulnerable to burn in and in the long run it will shorten the life of your crts.

As to how much you should should drop your contrast and picture settings (in addition to basic color and sharpness calibrations) you should definately pick up either the AVIA disc, SOUND AND VISION, or the new DVD ESSENTIALS (the old one is OOP I think) coming out in the next few weeks. You may pay 20 -30 bux for them but they WILL improve your picture quailty.

Of course if you got the scratch (which I do not at this time) hire a quality ISF dude to get your set ISF'd. The ISF dude (hell or gal) will fix any over scan problems, calibrate your gray scale setting (which is virtually impossible to do with any accuracy without uber expensive eqipment), red push (damn mitty that I own) or any other problem that your set may have.
Old 07-03-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Team Rancid
Anyone have experience with Hitachi RPTV's? and games?

I JUST got a 53swx12B yesterday and will soon be playing games on it.

Any advice on tweaking it to avoid burn-in?
I have the 57TWX20B and have played lots of games on it. PS2, Gamecube and XBOX. The best advice is to lower contrast. I don't remember what my setting is off the top of my head but my contrast is definitely below 30. I keep the TV in 16:9 standard when possible and on some games, I use 4:3 expanded.