DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Family Guy?!?!

Okay, surfing around being bored at work today, I found this:
(please let it happen!! )

http://www.planet-familyguy.com/

Sold 400,000 copies of the Season 1&2 DVD

---

"June 17 telecast of Cartoon Network's "Family Guy" was the most watched program in the history of the network among adults 18-34, reaching 1,056,000 viewers in the category." - The Futon Critic

---

Has a Family Guy movie got a future? Well it certainly looks like Fox are seriously entertaining the idea. Planet Family Guy has received several e-mails pointing out that Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation have registered the domain familyguymovie.com

----

TNN are currently looking for suggestions for shows to include in their new Spike TV line-up. Several people have e-mailed us suggesting that we try and suggest Family Guy. Apparently the Cartoon Network's deal with Fox is non-exclusive, so TNN could show Family Guy also.

So if you want to suggest that Family Guy features in the Spike TV schedule go here.
Old 06-30-03, 07:32 PM

This is certainly good news.
Old 06-30-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Family Guy moving to TNN sounds like a demotion.
But it would instantly become the best show on the network.
Old 06-30-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could watch Family Guy twice a day...
Old 06-30-03, 08:55 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I think it've have more room to breathe on a network like TNN, in terms of material and ratings expectations. There would be less likelihood of censorship... if they let Ren & Stimpy 2003 on the air, Family Guy should be considered family fare in comparison. And based on it's popularity on DVD and in reruns on Cartoon Network, new episodes would easily do killer numbers, at least by TNN standards.
Old 06-30-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
tnn will ruin family guy
if cartoon network can show the eps that have already been done they could easily show new ones at the same level

do we really need to see Brian licking Peter's ass crack?
because that's what TNN would do

Last edited by mikehunt; 06-30-03 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TNN will indeed ruin Family guy just like they buried and pissed on the corpse of Ren and stimpy. Atleast we can see the good memories we had with Ren and Stimpy in the classics though
Old 06-30-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
How did TNN 'ruin' Ren and Stimpy exactly?

I mean - do you really think TNN went in there and told the creators to change it the way they did? I can see it now - "You need to turn this cartoon into a flamboyantly homosexual one." c'mon.

Just because John Kricfalusi and company chose to make the new Stimpy the way they did, doesn't mean TNN had jack to do with it aside from removing limits of Nickelodeon (Which actually added to the creativity of the show.)
Old 06-30-03, 11:33 PM

"If I haven't seen it, it's new to me"
Old 07-01-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by RichC2
How did TNN 'ruin' Ren and Stimpy exactly?

I mean - do you really think TNN went in there and told the creators to change it the way they did? I can see it now - "You need to turn this cartoon into a flamboyantly homosexual one." c'mon.

Just because John Kricfalusi and company chose to make the new Stimpy the way they did, doesn't mean TNN had jack to do with it aside from removing limits of Nickelodeon (Which actually added to the creativity of the show.)

TNN's new model was "Make it for men". John K took this suggestion and made crap out of idea's he thought would work as something "for men". I believe the Nick days Ren and stimpy worked because it crossed a line, but it didn't skip over it, do a touch down dance and burn the line while it past it. Maybe some lines could have helped the new ren instead of it being 10 minutes of snot and booger eating.
Old 07-01-03, 02:31 AM

Why was the show cancelled in the first place if its so freakin' popular?! I just dont understand. You'd think after the networks see how popular the show is by DVD sales and other merchandise that they would make a new season.
Old 07-01-03, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

the shows been dead from fox for a while. It's know that fox really doesn't care for what makes them money and/or would interest the public. Look at other shows that were given crappy time slots. Futurama was killed by them with the 7:00 pm slot. Family guy went through the shuffle of timeslots all over the week. The Andy ricter show was shuffled around aswell. that's how fox works.
Old 07-01-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
TNN's new model was "Make it for men". John K took this suggestion and made crap out of idea's he thought would work as something "for men". I believe the Nick days Ren and stimpy worked because it crossed a line, but it didn't skip over it, do a touch down dance and burn the line while it past it. Maybe some lines could have helped the new ren instead of it being 10 minutes of snot and booger eating.
Old 07-01-03, 07:44 AM

the shows been dead from fox for a while. It's know that fox really doesn't care for what makes them money and/or would interest the public.
They ruin so many shows...

Futurama
Family Guy
Brimstone
Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Dark Angel
The Tick
Dr. Who

I am suprised they let The Simpsons go on, the X-Files and Married with Children run so long even...

And now Murdoch is gonna own DirecTV.. I imagine he will be dropping all stations and filling it up with Worlds Greatest ...
Old 07-01-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Don't forget Firefly.
Old 07-01-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
you forgot the crap sucking from a rat's ass and dangly back of the throat thing (where's a doctor to tell me the name of that thing?) in the ass crack

Old 07-01-03, 11:10 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by mikehunt
you forgot the crap sucking from a doctor's ass and dangly back of the throat thing (where's a rat to tell me the name of that thing?) in the ass crack
Uvula.
Old 07-02-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Well, the rumor is that Futurama was killed because Fox wasn't happy with Groening wanting a bigger stake in it. They had made a killing with the Simpsons, and Groening wanted a piece of that for Futurama. Fox proceeded to move the show around the schedule until it failed.

Family Guy was a show that I didn't really enjoy at first, since I would always compare it to the Simpsons, and it wasn't. And Fox never gave me the chance to get used to it. I have no idea if they would even be able to get the same creators and voice actors together again... if even a few people were missing, it wouldn't be the same. I know that Futurama's cast and crew have all moved on...
Old 07-02-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Pac-Rat
Uvula.
See, that's a funny word. The 'old' R&S would have had a 2- or 3-minute bit with Ren saying that over and over.

"You-View-Lah" "You-View-Lah"

That would have been funny.

But, apparently the 'new' Ren's mouth is too full of mucus to bother sounding it out.
Old 07-02-03, 01:52 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by fujishig
Well, the rumor is that Futurama was killed because Fox wasn't happy with Groening wanting a bigger stake in it. They had made a killing with the Simpsons, and Groening wanted a piece of that for Futurama. Fox proceeded to move the show around the schedule until it failed.
Hmmm... I had always heard that FOX wanted more control over Futurama like they do with the Simpsons but Matt wanted to retain all rights and control to the show. Dosen't matter, it's dead either way, and the blood is on FOX's hands.
Old 07-02-03, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
I have no idea if they would even be able to get the same creators and voice actors together again... if even a few people were missing, it wouldn't be the same.
Well the good thing is that the creator did most of the voices!

Seth MacFarlane
Peter Griffin
Stewie Griffin
Brian Griffin
Glen Quagmire
Carter Pewterschmidt
Dr. Hartman
Flappy Jack
Mr. McCloud
Principal Shepherd
Tom Tucker
William Shatner

Alex Borstein
Lois Griffin
Lorretta
Tricia Takanawa

Mila Kunis
Meg Griffin

Seth Green
Chris Griffin
Neil Goldman

Patrick Warburton
Joe Swanson

Mike Henry
Cleveland

Lori Alan
Diane Simmons
Postwoman
Old 07-02-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt they'd have much of a problem getting that group back together for the voices. Lots of them had other jobs while they were on the show in the first place, and I heard Adam Carolla say more than once that when he guest starred on the Family Guy they let him do everything in one take.
Old 07-04-03, 10:10 AM

TNN would not ruin Family Guy as long as Seth MacFarlane was still behind it. He is the mastermind of the show and as mentioned above he does most of the voices. I highly doubt that he would give in to suggestions to make it any raunchier to a fault. Bottom line: he understands comedy and I don't think TNN could control him enough to forget how to make people laugh.