Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on DVD/VCR Combos?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-03, 07:47 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently one of my roommates moved out and he had all the goodies!! So I am now without a DVD player and a VCR.
It seems like a simple idea to get the DVD/VCR combo in one shot, but are there any disadvantages to this kind of equipment? One friend mentioned that if something goes wrong with the machine, i'd be screwed out of both functions.

Consumer Reports recommends the Samsung DVD-V1000 at just under $200. That's about the same or maybe less than I would be willing to pay if I were to buy the two units seperately.

Any thoughts?
Anyone else have one of these combos??
Thanks.
Old 06-29-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you need to save space? That's the only reason (other than having 1 remote for 2 components, which can be accomplished in other ways) I can think of for buying a combo.

As you pointed out, you can save money buying a separate VCR, and as your friend pointed out, if one breaks, you'd be without both if you want to repair it.

Other factors: if you buy individual components, you can choose exactly what you want in both. I'd guess that there are less than 20 combo machines to choose from; obviously there are lots more individual VCRs and DVD players.
Old 06-29-03, 05:58 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Space saving would be nice... It would actually be cheaper for me probably, and easier, less wires, ect.... if I got the combo.
Obviously i'm not looking for a super good quality dvd player (i.e. not planning on spending over $120 on one).

Really I was just wondering if anyone has heard or experienced that they are pieces of crap for some reason. ??
Old 06-30-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Panasonic PV-D4752 and I am very happy with it. Its got progressive scan output also.