Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help looking for chinese Jackie Chan movies that came out in the states

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-28-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using the united states title
I am mainly looking for the legend of drunkien master, rumble in the bronx, supercop, oporation condor, and twin dragon. These movies were butchered by miramaxe and new line, so I was looking for original versions. I read somewhere that Jackie didin't do his voice for the imports? true?
Old 06-29-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You used to be able to get these from HK Flix, until Disney stopped them.

You might try DDD House, DVD Shelf or eBay.

I'm not sure what movie he started using his own voice, but the earlier Jackie Chan movies have someone else voicing his part.
Old 06-29-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.hongkonglegends.co.uk has put out a number of high quality versions of Jackie Chan films, they are highly regarded by many fans of asian films. These are R2 PAL discs however so you have to make sure you are able to play them. Hkflix sells the HKL discs as well.
Old 06-30-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LODM, better known as Drunken Master II, doesn't have a 'perfect' version out there. The uncut version is the Thakral version, but save for the first minute or so, the picture is at 1.85:1, which is the incorrect aspect ratio. Minor peeve though. Rumble In the Bronx's Chinastar version (long OOP) and Thakral version are uncut but have no subs. The Megastar version of Supercop (aka Police Story III) has its sound off by about a second or two. Not sure if this ever got fixed.

The other two should be fine from HK, you should be able to find them from a place such as DDDHouse, Layoyo (formerly DVDShelf) or Hivizone. Same with Supercop. As far as the first two, good luck finding a China version....
Old 06-30-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
As stated before, Drunken Master 2 does not have a perfect version. The Thrakal dvd is the best but the aspect ratio is cropped. This is available at HKFlix, but it is $30. If you look hard enough, you might be able to find it somewhere else, but I don't think it's in stock at most of the major HK based retailers.

Operation Condor (aka Armour of God 2) and Supercop (aka Police Story 3) have recently released HK dvds from Deltamac. These fix the problems that the Megastar versions had, and are the best versions available with English subs as far as I know. The best place to get these are from DDDHouse.com or DVDShelf.com. They're only about $5 U.S.

There's a couple of versions of Twin Dragons available. I forget which one is the best. Check Asiandvdguide.com. Again, I recommend DDDHouse.

Rumble in the Bronx doesn't have a great version. The only uncut version available with English subs has Mandarin dialogue (instead of Cantonese). I think there is an uncut Japanese dvd with Canto, but it doesn't have English subs. You can get the Mandarin version at HKFlix.

A far as Jackie doing his own voice, Supercop was the first movie he did with synced sound and therefore the first to feature his own voice. Twin Dragons and DM2 have other actors dubbing Jackie's voice. I don't think Operation Condor has Jackie's voice either. I believe Rumble In The Bronx does, but I'm not sure.