Community
Search

Wyatt Earp

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-03, 09:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wyatt Earp

Has anyone heard if and when Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner will be released? Excellent moive and more historically accurate then Tombstone which I also liked.
Old 06-27-03, 11:09 AM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
During the WB chat on HTF, the rep said that it was in the pipeline, but didn't give a date for it.
Old 06-27-03, 11:15 AM

I'd like to see this too...hopefully one with some extras and a commentary track. I, like many, enjoyed Tombstone more when both films were released, but over the years, I have grown to enjoy Wyatt Earp much more since it is, as the original poster pointed out, much more historically accurate and an attempt to show the man as he really was.

I also prefer Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday over Val Kilmer's, although both actors did a great job.
Old 06-27-03, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Spooky
I also prefer Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday over Val Kilmer's, although both actors did a great job.
Heresy!
Old 06-27-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was lucky enough to pick up the SE laserdisc with the extra footage and book for $10 on ebay. That being said, I still hope it comes out on dvd with the extra footage.
Old 06-27-03, 03:53 PM

Why they're dragging their feet on this I'll never know. Its one of the best modern westerns made.
Old 06-29-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Ian11
Why they're dragging their feet on this I'll never know. Its one of the best modern westerns made.
The feet-dragging may have something to do with the fact that that movie had a $63 million budget and a $25 million total box office gross.
Old 06-29-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Spooky
I'd like to see this too...hopefully one with some extras and a commentary track. I, like many, enjoyed Tombstone more when both films were released, but over the years, I have grown to enjoy Wyatt Earp much more since it is, as the original poster pointed out, much more historically accurate and an attempt to show the man as he really was.
I agree with you completely except I thought Wyatt Earp was by far the superior film from the beginning. IMO, it makes Tombstone look juvenile.
Complete agreement.

TOLEN: I also have the LD box set. I got it cheap when stores were selling off LDs when DVDs started coming in. The extended cut improves the film.

Last edited by movielib; 06-29-03 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
The feet-dragging may have something to do with the fact that that movie had a $63 million budget and a $25 million total box office gross.
It seems to me that this would make it all that more important to put this out on DVD and make more money on it.

I've never seen this in widescreen. I'm really looking forward to a DVD release.
Old 06-30-03, 08:47 PM
Cool New Member

They were like two different movies about the same person. One was pure Hollywood action and the other was an attempt to show the man as he really was. The film score is outstanding too! Whatever, it is amazing that Wyatt Earp was never hit by a bullit. Especially considering the OK Corral was actually about the size of an average garage. I truly believe he was born for the purpose he ultimately fullfilled. It's also amazing that the first half of his life was completely different that the last half. I can't wait for the release.
Old 09-01-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm wondering if WB will move this up to cap on Open Range's
good word of mouth. I would love to see Kasden's original cut,
but I read over at HTF that he isn't interested in revisiting this.
(My undersatnding is that the theatrical is WB's version as is the
extended cut)

Jason
Old 09-01-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jasonbird
I'm wondering if WB will move this up to cap on Open Range's
good word of mouth. I would love to see Kasden's original cut,
but I read over at HTF that he isn't interested in revisiting this.
(My undersatnding is that the theatrical is WB's version as is the
extended cut)
Kasdan already did revisit it as a Director's Cut laserdisc. The master for that should still be available for WB to issue as they see fit.
Old 09-01-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
Kasdan already did revisit it as a Director's Cut laserdisc. The master for that should still be available for WB to issue as they see fit.
This is what I read at another forum (just by a poster). You may
know more than him:

Wyatt Earp was orginally screened for a running time 318 mins. Warners made Kasdan chop it and chop it again. Warners kept saying it was way too long and they would not be able to sell it at the Show east/west conventions. There is no approved directors cut Laser Disc. Warners put out a special expanded edition. All the info inside the book comes from interviews that Kasdan did during the production of Wyatt Earp.
Jason
Old 09-02-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jasonbird
This is what I read at another forum (just by a poster). You may
know more than him:
If that is true, the LD box itself seem to imply otherwise, as it gives every indication that the longer version was approved by Kasdan.

Here's an old review:

http://www.dvdlaser.com/search/detail.cfm?ID=23821