Reload this Page >

Books "I Know My First Name Is Steven" and "The Yosemite Murders"

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 06-26-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last night, I caught some of I Think My First Name Is Steven on LifeTime, and while this was not my first time watching the mini-series, I forced myself to stay up to the end (which was after one in the morning). This prompted me to go online afterwards to see if there were any books written on the affair, and I found that the Stayner family had more problems that I had initially realized.

The book has the same title as the movie, so that was easy to find, and I read some of the user comments about the book. Just to give you a little background on this tragic true story - little Steven Stayner, 7-years old, gets kidnapped while walking home from school in 1972. He remains abducted for seven years, and returns home to his family at the age of 14. Steven had several sisters, and one older brother named Cary, and I found out in reading the reviews that Cary Stayner is an accused serial murderer of Yosemite National Park! Apparently, through the years of worrying about little Steven, the rest of the children in the Stayner family - including Cary - felt neglected. The story of the other brother is called The Yosemite Murders, and I picked that up as well.

I should receive the two books soon.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 06-26-03 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-27-03, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stayner is a convicted serial killer; he was sentenced to death in December 2002; he tired to claim insanity due to trauma from a childhood molestation and the kidnapping of his brother, but he thought out his killings pretty well. He killed four women in two different attacks, decapitating a 26-year old naturalist, and sexually assaulting and murdering a mother, her teen daughter, and the daughter's friend.
Old 07-02-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sad thing about that is you'd think Cary Stayner would know what it felt like for a family to be torn apart, since his little brother Steven was kidnapped and the Stayner family had never been the same since, despite Steven's eventual return home.

But yet he inflicted pain on the survivors of his victims. Some say the people to blame for Cary being a "monster," that the "Monster-Makers," were Kay and Del Stayner, his mother and father.